Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Other Versions > EOL (End Of Life) Versions
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

EOL (End Of Life) Versions This is a Forum to discuss problems and workarounds for versions of Fedora that have passed End of Life.

Old 24th November 2006, 10:29 PM
liturgist Offline

Question PLEASE HELP - Cannot install FC6 on Dell Optiplex GX1 P3 128MB RAM

I cannot install FC6 on a Dell Optiplex GX1, P3, 450 MHz, 128 MB RAM. The machine was running FC4 successfuly. I am trying a fresh install. There is not enough memory to run the graphical installer. That's ok. A variety of failure modes have a appeared. Yes, I validated the media on the machine where I am installing and successfully ran memtest86 through two cycles.

The last failure just hung after putting on glibc. There have been several random writes of text over the screen. The first failure reported that an RPM lock was no longer valid.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by liturgist; 27th November 2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old 24th November 2006, 11:56 PM
liturgist Offline

Question

Subsequent install using 'mem=128M' went further. Installed many things after glibc. Then started flooding the screen with:

rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery

This iis written all over the screen. Then, it ejects the CD and asks for Fedora Core disk 2.

After a reboot, there is no "vmlinuz-*" file in the /boot directory.

Last edited by liturgist; 25th November 2006 at 05:23 PM.
Old 27th November 2006, 01:58 PM
liturgist Offline

I have tried this -many- ways. I am looking to this forum for advice and ideas. Thanks.
Old 28th November 2006, 01:52 AM
jdk82 Offline

I am having the same problem on a similar machine - PIII 500Mhz 128MB ram and I was running FC5 just fine. I have completely wiped the hard drive and am trying a clean install. I have tried both cd method and hard drive installs. And yes, the checksum matches and the media has passed multiple tests. Anybody have any ideas?? Are these machines just to slow??? If this info helps anybody, the installer says it is installing files, but it moves WAY fast to actually be copy that much data from the cd. Thanx.
Old 28th November 2006, 01:52 AM
jdk82 Offline

I am having the same problem on a similar machine - PIII 500Mhz 128MB ram and I was running FC5 just fine. I have completely wiped the hard drive and am trying a clean install. I have tried both cd method and hard drive installs. And yes, the checksum matches and the media has passed multiple tests. Anybody have any ideas?? Are these machines just to slow??? If this info helps anybody, the installer says it is installing files, but it moves WAY fast to actually be copy that much data from the cd. Any help would be appriciated.
Old 28th November 2006, 02:04 AM
stevea Offline

I believe I read that 256MB is the minimum mmeory for an install. CHeck the install notes and related links.
Old 28th November 2006, 02:14 AM
jdk82 Offline

Both fc5 and fc6 say that 256 is the min for graphical instal and 128 is the bare min. I have been running fc5 for several months with no problems. Install notes list 128MiB as min for text install.
Old 28th November 2006, 02:15 AM
jtravnick Offline

6.3.1.1. Processor and Memory Requirements

The following CPU specifications are stated in terms of Intel processors. Other processors, such as those from AMD, Cyrix, and VIA that are compatible with and equivalent to the following Intel processors, may also be used with Fedora Core.

Fedora Core 6 requires an Intel Pentium or better processor, and is optimized for Pentium 4 and later processors.

Recommended for text-mode: 200 MHz Pentium-class or better

Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium II or better

Minimum RAM for text-mode: 128MiB

Minimum RAM for graphical: 192MiB

Recommended RAM for graphical: 256MiB
Old 28th November 2006, 02:26 AM
jdk82 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravnick
6.3.1.1. Processor and Memory Requirements

The following CPU specifications are stated in terms of Intel processors. Other processors, such as those from AMD, Cyrix, and VIA that are compatible with and equivalent to the following Intel processors, may also be used with Fedora Core.

Fedora Core 6 requires an Intel Pentium or better processor, and is optimized for Pentium 4 and later processors.

Recommended for text-mode: 200 MHz Pentium-class or better

Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium II or better

Minimum RAM for text-mode: 128MiB

Minimum RAM for graphical: 192MiB

Recommended RAM for graphical: 256MiB
So my system should be sufficient to install, correct??? BTW jtravnick, I'm in Jackson, WI. What's up with our weather? I guess the global warming warnings weren't that far off...
Old 28th November 2006, 02:45 AM
jtravnick Offline

jdk82
from what im reading yes your system should just make it. will have to do a text install but hey im running a newer laptop that only had 256 megs of ram and still got it to run.

jdk tell me about it with this weather I do snowplowing in the winter and right now going broke. Now if I could just convince ppl up here since its not snowing to remodel there home for xmass.

Jim
Old 28th November 2006, 03:22 AM
jdk82 Offline

So if I'm meeting the min req. does anybody have any idea what's goin on with the install???

Fedora 16, HP EliteBook 8560W, Intel i5 2.5Ghz, 4GB Ram, 320GB SATA HD, ATI Radeon HD 6750M .
Old 28th November 2006, 03:34 AM
liturgist Offline

Yes, my machine meets the requirements for a text install. It was running FC4 well. What must I do to get it to happen?

Are there documented test results on minimum machines that were done? Where does Fedora keep records of such testing?
Old 28th November 2006, 03:41 AM
b_martinez Offline

How about pre-partitioning and activating the swap space. Then at the boot prompt
[code]
swapon /dev/(what-ever-partition-is-swap-space)
[code]
If the swap space is on hard drive 1, 3rd partition , then it would be "/dev/hda2".
Then if it's possible, why not try a server install. Afterwards, you can get online and install the XFCE desktop environment along with whatever xorg stuff you need.
[code]
su -
(root password here)
yum -y install xfce*\*
[code]
If that works well, then you may want to go with Gnome or KDE. Or look into getting an even lighter desktop, such as Fluxox or Openbox.
hth
Bill
edit: or just doing the swap thing and re-trying the install with more available/usable memory space.
Old 28th November 2006, 04:04 AM
jdk82 Offline

b_martinez, thanx for the suggestion, but anaconda turns swap on automatically cuz of the low amount of mem. I am going to try installing w/o xwindow/kde and see if I can get through a bare-bones install and add things later. Will post results in a few. (Also watching recorded monday night football, so it may take a little time)

Fedora 16, HP EliteBook 8560W, Intel i5 2.5Ghz, 4GB Ram, 320GB SATA HD, ATI Radeon HD 6750M .
Old 28th November 2006, 04:23 AM
b_martinez Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk82
b_martinez, thanx for the suggestion, but anaconda turns swap on automatically cuz of the low amount of mem. I am going to try installing w/o xwindow/kde and see if I can get through a bare-bones install and add things later. Will post results in a few. (Also watching recorded monday night football, so it may take a little time)
Thanks for the info about swap. Didn't know that.
The minimal install is what I meant when I wrote 'server', been on the Ubuntu forums too long lately, I guess. I am not sure if anaconda will install the xorg system in a minimal install. If it does, then XFCE is a fairly light , usable DE. If you like the icons on the screen, you may want to look into ROX-FILER for eye candy. I have them now, but I didn't install rox, they came with the XFCE install. I also have the KDE and Gnome desktops, and that may have something to do with it. Or not.
Anyway, I wish you Good Luck,
Bill

Tags
128mb, dell, fc6, gx1, install, optiplex, ram