Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th November 2006, 08:44 PM
zwfed Offline

FC6 upgraded from FC4: can't shutdown now!

Hello,

I just upgraded to FC6 for my HP OmniBook XE3
but found a trouble to shutdown the system. Part of the messages are
below:

Halting system...
md: stopping all md devices
shutdown:hda
system halted

Then nothing happens so I have to turn off the power in order to
shutdown the system.

I tried to use halt -p" and "init 0 but the problem is still there. It seems acpi doesn't support after I run
# dmesg|grep ^ACPI
because the bios is 1992 but the most updated version GC M1.63.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 10th November 2006, 11:44 PM
kanenas.net Offline

1. Was shutdown working with FC4 ?
2. HP OmniBook XE3 is something like... PIII 700, 128MB RAM etc ???
If the second is happening, i think you must find more RAM !
Old 11th November 2006, 06:37 PM
zwfed Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanenas.net
1. Was shutdown working with FC4 ?
2. HP OmniBook XE3 is something like... PIII 700, 128MB RAM etc ???
If the second is happening, i think you must find more RAM !
1. Yes
2. I have upgraded to 512MB.
Old 11th November 2006, 06:49 PM
Anniedog Offline

You are not alone

I have exactly the same problem and still have a topic 'My machine won't die' unsolved. It appears that it is a problem with acpi but as yet I can offer no solutions so I am keeping an eye on your posts. I eventually managed to re=enable the power button and holding this in for several seconds allows me a way of shutting down.
Old 11th November 2006, 08:11 PM
kanenas.net Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwfed
1. Yes
2. I have upgraded to 512MB.
... and still shutdown doesn't work ?
Old 12th November 2006, 09:01 AM
zwfed Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanenas.net
... and still shutdown doesn't work ?
Of course the problem is still unsolved.
Old 12th November 2006, 12:51 PM
Anniedog Offline

This is just an further inquiry and I know I am off base here but my power down problems happened in FC5 but at the time I was totally new and was playing around with two main areas when this disappeared and was fine until I moved on to FC6 my main thought was acpi and still is however:

I have not enabled LVM on my FC6 yet which is different to my FC5 in whcich I really had fun with partitions etc I would be intereseted to know if you have LVM operating on your machine ?

Second I am still playing with networking and on FC5 I had configured a network at least in principle on FC6 I have still to fully configure this, is your machine networked?

I cured this in FC5 by doing something so it must be possible to find out what I did that made this go away. Although it will probably due to something totally unrelated in the end.
Old 12th November 2006, 04:09 PM
dutch-bear Offline

Isn't this an installation problem?. It seems so that the installation process of FC-6 thus not recognizes a lot of hardware, includung acpi-bioses.
Old 12th November 2006, 07:11 PM
zwfed Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch-bear
Isn't this an installation problem?. It seems so that the installation process of FC-6 thus not recognizes a lot of hardware, includung acpi-bioses.
I think you might be right as my usbdisk is not recognized after I upgraded to FC-6 but it was for FC-4. I have tried to re-install FC-6 and the problem is still there. Not sure what I can do.

Last edited by zwfed; 12th November 2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12th November 2006, 07:14 PM
zwfed Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniedog
This is just an further inquiry and I know I am off base here but my power down problems happened in FC5 but at the time I was totally new and was playing around with two main areas when this disappeared and was fine until I moved on to FC6 my main thought was acpi and still is however:

I have not enabled LVM on my FC6 yet which is different to my FC5 in whcich I really had fun with partitions etc I would be intereseted to know if you have LVM operating on your machine ?

Second I am still playing with networking and on FC5 I had configured a network at least in principle on FC6 I have still to fully configure this, is your machine networked?
I am new to LVM and can you illustrate how do I know it is enabled or not?
I don't have networked.
Old 18th November 2006, 07:31 PM
MaxTakeoff Offline

I'm having this same problem on a desktop with FC6 on a FIC AN11 mobo. Is there any suggestions on what to try? Also my system won't reboot / restart either.

Take it easy.

Last edited by MaxTakeoff; 18th November 2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 19th November 2006, 04:52 PM
Anniedog Offline

a thought

Just had a thought but I am playing with my wireless project at present and do not want to upset things but kudzu can be set to safe probe and I now remember that I had altered my FC5 to that setting so perhaps if someone wants to try that and post back the result it could be helpful. Worth a try!!
Old 20th November 2006, 04:43 AM
zwfed Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniedog
Just had a thought but I am playing with my wireless project at present and do not want to upset things but kudzu can be set to safe probe and I now remember that I had altered my FC5 to that setting so perhaps if someone wants to try that and post back the result it could be helpful. Worth a try!!
I changed safe probe to YES from no but that problem is still there.
Old 20th November 2006, 05:00 PM
Anniedog Offline

If you have gone system-logical volume-management and have chosen the option to initalise volume then your drive will be then recognised as LVM this can have great benefits if you want to add extra drives etc as it effectively gives you access to all your space and you can configure things as a total package. However it can be a pain if you allocate all your space under this and do not leave uninitialised space for the future. I have had a knightmare and on FC5 several reinstalls as other parttioning progs will not recognise LVM. I only know that I gave up on LVM on my last instal of FC5 and this config did shutdown so I was interested on your set up just as basically a way to rule out this as being a factor. I have totally disabled power management in bios and still does not shutdown. I am playing with wifi and so I have not been active as yet in your post but am keeping an eye out just in case some kind person out there hits on the solution.
Old 7th December 2006, 11:07 PM
DealerMan Offline

Same shutdown problem on mine

I'm going to keep this topic alive, I would like to have a normal shutdown as well. I know this may be very low priority, but it's my only problem running FC6 at the moment.

Tags
fc4, fc6, shutdown, upgraded