Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th November 2006, 07:41 PM
mikesat Offline

Can't boot windows after hibernating FC6 - PLEASE HELP !

Hello everybody,

I give up ... I'm fighting with FC6 suspend-to-disk problem for several days - but with no success. I think it is some problem with bios .... but let's start from the beginning:

I've seen several messages on the web complaining about no option to boot anything else (like windows) after hibernating fedora core 5/6. This is because booting any other version of linux can corrupt file system. Therefere people can't suspend linux, start windows, and then later resume linux. This problem is particularly related to SWSUSP which is used on fedora core 5/6. But i'm fine with this - my problem is little different. Of course I know that SWSUSP2 solves all the problems, but as i said - my case is different.

Since first hibernation of FC6 i can't boot windows no more, even after several reboots. From the moment every time i turn on my laptop grub is automatically loading linux without giving me ability to boot windows. It looks like my machine was hibernated before, but it happens after several reboots. /etc/grub.conf file looks ok, the timeout is set to 300s:

default=0
timeout=300
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
password --md5 $1$jpNih1$lfq3AYeZL4EmA/1uFOSuM0
title Linux (2.6.18-1.2798)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.img
title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

I've seen some posts saying SWSUSP suspend process change grub.conf so that you get no option to boot anything else. But after applying chattr +i attribute it wouldn't help so i think it's not the case. Currently i think it is some problem with bios. I suppose after first hibernation some bios flag was set and at present every reboot is treated as suspend resume. But how to reset this flag ? There is no option related to hibernation in my laptop CMOS settings. Do you have some idea how to solve this problem? This time google wasn't my friend Anyhow in a minute i try to reset the CMOS battery, maybe it would help - but it would be only temporary solution.

Last edited by mikesat; 9th November 2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 9th November 2006, 08:05 PM
leigh123linux

change default to 1 to get windows

default=1

#hiddenmenu

did you set grub password

Last edited by leigh123linux; 9th November 2006 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10th November 2006, 12:52 AM
mikesat Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123
change default to 1 to get windows

default=1
I know that, but it is very unconvenient have to change grub configuration every time i want to boot windows and after that change the grub configuration again (using rescue cd) to boot linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123
#hiddenmenu

did you set grub password
Yes, i set the password Sorry for my inattention for placing md5 password here - of course password has been changed
Old 21st October 2007, 03:18 AM
danbui Offline

For Fedora Core 6 and 7, you should be able to comment out the pm-utils "01grub" file so that the power management utility script will not change grub to resume Fedora automatically upon reboot.
Search for the 01grub file with "locate 01grub".
The 01grub file should be located in /etc/pm/hooks/01grub, or /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/01grub.

You should be able to add the line "exit 0" near the top of this file to disable changing of grub by pm-utils.

After this change I can choose to boot Windows or Fedora from the grub startup screen. I don't ever share file systems between Windows and Fedora so I don't have problems with corrupted filesystems when resuming both OS'es from hibernation.

Tags
boot, fc6, hibernating, windows