Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th November 2006, 12:52 AM
dashdanw Offline

Changing Display Options in Rescue

I changed the settings of the display on the computer and now it wont display anything at all when i start up, sop i booted from the CD and i can get into rescue mode. Is there any way i can change the settings back on the computer so that i can reset the display information? I dont know much about shell commands since im relatively new to al this.
Old 7th November 2006, 01:43 AM
Iron_Mike Offline

When you enter rescue mode, you will have to "mount" the existing image. Once the image is mounted change to that location and at the prompt type:

system-config-display --reconfig

This will generate a "New" xorg.conf with the default settings, just like a fresh install. Reboot the computer and pull the CD, you should be back in business
Old 7th November 2006, 02:24 AM
dashdanw Offline

hmmm taht doesnt seem to be working....the rescue program mounts the installation automatically right? when i typed in that command it just went to another prompt right after, it didnt seem to do much work. But if there was an idue with the displayy would GRUB load before linux loaded, because when i boot from linux NOTHING shows, its ocmplete bnlack like the monitor isnt even recieveing signal, but kin know that its connected because it works fine when i boot from Mac OS9
Old 7th November 2006, 03:35 AM
Iron_Mike Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashdanw
hmmm taht doesnt seem to be working....the rescue program mounts the installation automatically right? when i typed in that command it just went to another prompt right after, it didnt seem to do much work. But if there was an idue with the displayy would GRUB load before linux loaded, because when i boot from linux NOTHING shows, its ocmplete bnlack like the monitor isnt even recieveing signal, but kin know that its connected because it works fine when i boot from Mac OS9
Boot the rescue CD, at the prompt type rescue. It will give some info about mounting it with root permissions under /mnt/sysimage. After that a dialog box will pop up asking you to chroot /mnt/sysimage go ahead and do it. Then type cd /mnt/sysimage. After that type system-config-display --reconfig
Old 7th November 2006, 06:16 AM
dashdanw Offline

when i try cd /mnt/sysimage it says no such file or directory, even though thats what rescue tells me to go to
Old 7th November 2006, 06:18 AM
dashdanw Offline

oh wait, not its working but it prompts me for the root password yet wont let me enter text until ive pressed enter..how do i enter the password or just log on as root?
Old 7th November 2006, 06:23 AM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Quote:
when i try cd /mnt/sysimage it says no such file or directory, even though thats what rescue tells me to go to
Hello:
You need to type
chroot /mnt/sysimage
(versus cd /mnt/sysimage)
then try

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 7th November 2006, 06:25 AM
dashdanw Offline

thats what i tried but when it prompts me for the root password it wont allow me to type....wtf :[
Old 7th November 2006, 06:29 AM
Seve Offline

Quote:
thats what i tried but when it promts me for the root password it wont allow me to type....wtf :[
Hello:
Two different things
If you are prompted for a login
login using
root
yourpassword
then you can run the

If you boot from the FC5 install disc into linux rescue
then at the last prompt
type

chroot /mnt/sysimage

then you can run the

Seve
Old 7th November 2006, 06:32 AM
dashdanw Offline

im running FC4 and there isnt any login part of linux rescue...can i run FC5 linuxrescue on FC4 and login as root on that rescue program but still repair FC4? lol
Old 7th November 2006, 06:36 AM
dashdanw Offline

ack wait again...sorry, it doesnt display what your typeing for security so i didnt notice that you ARE in fact typeing on the psswd prompt...but NOW theres ANOTHER problem...after i enter the password i get this message : Couldnt start X server on card 0 -next line- Error, failed to start the X server
Old 7th November 2006, 06:48 AM
Seve Offline

Hello:
Okay, perhaps what I typed wasn't all that clear.

If you boot from the FC5 / FC4 install disc, select F5 then type linux rescue .. follow along and at the last prompt
type

chroot /mnt/sysimage
there is a space between chroot & /mnt/sysimage

The chroot /mnt/sysimage is to mount the version / file system stem that you selected (if more than one) during the linux resuce process.

If you just boot your FC and the X server does not launch and you are presented with a black screen and a login line
then login as
root
yourpassword

Seve
Old 7th November 2006, 06:55 AM
dashdanw Offline

sorry you have to put up with me lol, but thanks a million for helping, the problem is that when i start the computer booted from the FC section NOTHING happens, blank screen, i did chroot /mnt/sysimage and then system-config-display --reconfig and i entered the password at the promt, and it gave me that error message, now when i go to restart the computer and boot from FC4 still nothing shows...am i being completely stupid or something? lol
Old 7th November 2006, 07:05 AM
Seve Offline

Hello:
When you boot your PC and select FC and it comes up with that error ..... saying failed to start X server, does it ask you if you would like to try and configure the X server and notes that you need the root password
Does it not try to configure the X server automatically for you?

Seve
Old 7th November 2006, 07:07 AM
dashdanw Offline

i am getting the x server error in linuxrescue mode after i try system-config-display --reconfig, not at the FC startup screen, when i launch the installed FC4 from the disk absolutely NOHING shows up, and the computer doesnt seem to make any sound at all...like its idleing, but the monitor is black is if the computer were off.

Tags
changing, display, options, rescue