Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th April 2004, 07:28 PM
robert Offline

On-board sound not detected

On a new install of FC1, the on-board sound on my old Compaq using ESS sound chip, is not detected. When I try to configure sound I am told that there is no sound card installed - which is true because the sound is on the motherboard. So in very simple steps - what do I do?
Old 15th April 2004, 12:35 AM
sailor Offline
Administrator

Location: San Antonio, Texas - Home of the Alamo, the "Cradle of Texas Liberty"
Quote:
In order for this sound card to be configured and used I had to use a program called sndconfig from Red Hat. To have the program installed during the Mandrake installation you have to tell the installer to install support for ISA sound cards. At a command prompt (as root) type sndconfig and press enter, if you have the program installed it will bring up a graphical interface which asks you to allow it to search your computer for soundcards- press ok (this may take up to a minute or more to search be patient). In my case the sound card was not detected and I was given the option of choosing it from a list. I had to choose the Sound Blaster Pro entry (the Sound Blaster entry did not allow my particular DMA entry) and I selected the following entries: I/O port=0X220, IRQ=5, DMA=0. If you're succesful you will hear a sound recording press ok and the program will edit your modules.conf for you, if you do not hear a sound select no and you can go back and try other settings.
I am not personally familiar with your sound card but I found this info in another forum...
Here is a link to the utility
http://linux.maruhn.com/sec/sndconfig.html

Fedora 20 - Lenovo IdeaPad V570

Last edited by sailor; 15th April 2004 at 12:38 AM.
Old 15th April 2004, 06:45 PM
edal Offline

Talking My Favorite Topic

Ah, my favorite topic. So many people have trouble getting sound working on Compaq laptops that I asked that one of my posts be made permanent.

The following instructions are for the Compaq Armada 1700/1750 series, if you have any different then let me know and I will post more instructions.

Ed Almos
Budapest, Hungary

1) Make sure the CMOS settings are as follows. Under ESS 1869 Audio Controller Interface set the I/O range to 0x0230-0x0237. Under ESS 1869 Plug & Play Audiodrive use the following settings:
IRQ 5
DMA0
DMA1
I/O Range 0x0220-0x022F
I/O Range 0x0388-0x038B
I/O Range 0x0330-0x0331

Note that the above are NOT the default settings for the Armada 1750.

After changing your settings shut the laptop down so they will take effect.

2) Logon as root and run sndconfig. Sndconfig will fail to find the soundcard so just click OK. Select ESS 1688 Audiodrive from the list of soundcards and enter the following information:
I/O 220
IRQ 5
DMA 0
MPU 330

Hopefully you will then have a working sound system.
Old 15th April 2004, 09:27 PM
divali Offline

sound at last.

thanks sailorsgh I followed your link and got <sndconfig> which gave me the sound that I have been trying soo
hard to configure. Well done.
divali
Old 15th April 2004, 09:49 PM
sailor Offline
Administrator

Location: San Antonio, Texas - Home of the Alamo, the "Cradle of Texas Liberty"
your welcome...I think edal gave a better answer than I...but the end result worked which is great!...happy computing
sailorsgh

Fedora 20 - Lenovo IdeaPad V570
Old 21st January 2005, 04:08 PM
tronhuso

sndconfig not working on fc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edal
Ah, my favorite topic. So many people have trouble getting sound working on Compaq laptops that I asked that one of my posts be made permanent.

The following instructions are for the Compaq Armada 1700/1750 series, if you have any different then let me know and I will post more instructions.

Ed Almos
Budapest, Hungary

1) Make sure the CMOS settings are as follows. Under ESS 1869 Audio Controller Interface set the I/O range to 0x0230-0x0237. Under ESS 1869 Plug & Play Audiodrive use the following settings:
IRQ 5
DMA0
DMA1
I/O Range 0x0220-0x022F
I/O Range 0x0388-0x038B
I/O Range 0x0330-0x0331

Note that the above are NOT the default settings for the Armada 1750.

After changing your settings shut the laptop down so they will take effect.

2) Logon as root and run sndconfig. Sndconfig will fail to find the soundcard so just click OK. Select ESS 1688 Audiodrive from the list of soundcards and enter the following information:
I/O 220
IRQ 5
DMA 0
MPU 330

Hopefully you will then have a working sound system.
I've followed your settings, but sndconfig doesn't work in FC2. it asks for soundcore.o, which now is named soundcode.ko.
I read on the slug mailing list that one thing that could make this work is by using the Alsa-tool. Does anyone know how to use this?

trond
Old 14th April 2005, 07:33 PM
speedphreak Offline

Wow I'm revivng an old post... Anyone got any ides for FC3? sndconfig doesn't appear to be available. Any thoughts?

Tags
detected, onboard, sound