Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th October 2006, 10:49 PM
BendD Offline

Fedora Core 6 - IPW2200+WPA succeed

Hi,

Just for the record. It seems Fedora Core 6 needs and upgrade of his ieee80211 driver to work with IPW2200. I passed three days to make it work without success. Finally, I realized that I have the option to upgrade the ieee80211 driver by installing the following RPM:

http://dl.atrpms.net/all/ieee80211-k...c6.at.i686.rpm
for the 2.6.18-1.2798 kernel.

You can find others package for your kernel:
http://atrpms.net/dist/fc6/ieee80211/

Just after the package installed, you have to reload IPW2200, as sudo, write:
/sbin/modprobe -r ipw2200

Now restart it:
/sbin/modprobe ipw2200

For the ones who use WPA, you need to restart wpa_supplicant, but before, the interface must be down. Then shutdown your interface:
/sbin/ifdown eth1 (eth0 or anything interface your wireless card is using)

Now, it's time to start wpa_supplicant, but change the interface (-i) to match your wireless interface:
/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ieth1 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -Bw

If you are using a dynamic IP address (DHCP), you need to start it:
/sbin/dhclient eth1
Again adapt the command to your own wireless interface (mine is eth1).

If you are using WPA-Personal, as in my case: your wpa_supplicant.conf can look like this:
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

network={
ssid="net1569"
scan_ssid=1
proto=WPA
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=TKIP
group=TKIP
psk="************Yourpassphrase********"
priority=5
}

But I don't know if Fedora's scripts will be able to mount correctly this driver at boot up time. This will be the next try.

Hope this help others as me who pass a lot of time to figure out what's the problem.

Ben
Old 29th October 2006, 11:07 PM
BendD Offline

Not at bootup time

Unfortunalely, FC6 doesn't reassociate correctly at boot up time.

I have to retype the command: ifdown, wpa_supplicant and dhclient as explained in the previous message.

I will look if I can use and setup NetworkManager to take care of this

Ben
Old 30th October 2006, 12:26 AM
BendD Offline

Finally, I add the following commands in /etc/rc.local file:

/sbin/ifdown eth1
/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ieth1 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -Bw
sleep 5
/sbin/dhclient eth1
Old 30th October 2006, 01:29 AM
Dead1nside Offline

I'm trying to adapt this to madwifi and networkmanager. The wpa_supplicant part.

Have you tried networkmanager with this?
Old 31st October 2006, 03:39 AM
BendD Offline

NetworkManager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead1nside
I'm trying to adapt this to madwifi and networkmanager. The wpa_supplicant part.

Have you tried networkmanager with this?
Yes I have try to make NM working. But it failed completely. I wasn't able to connect to any AP, secure or not, to my area with NM. It failed everytime.

Ben
Old 31st October 2006, 08:06 AM
Malachai Offline

I have a question for you... I just finished isntalling FC6 on my laptop.... I have my ipw2200 working I could see it when I try to add a wireless connection. I have setup one with DCHP.... I know in fax that my buddy next door has a wireless router with no password.

I'm able to see it in my window box... but when I look at the icon next to the time...(NetworkManager) I dont see it... In FC5 I use to see it.... how can i test that my wireless card is working... is there a certain command I have to use?

I tried doing dhclient eth1 that didn't do anything, I also tried iwlist scanning and got this below.

[root@localhost ~]# iwlist scanning
lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth1 No scan results
eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

sit0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

can you tell me if I did something wrong...

Thanks
Old 3rd November 2006, 04:56 PM
stevea Offline

Your iwlist command shows that your system does not see any AP. Your friends AP is down.
Call him or find a Starbucks.
Old 3rd November 2006, 07:13 PM
quark4181 Offline

I am having trouble with my install. I grabbed the appropriate rpms (ipw2200 and kernel bits) but it looks like the kernel bits did not work.

[root@boson ~]# /sbin/modprobe ipw2200
WARNING: Error inserting ieee80211_crypt (/lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/updates/net/ieee80211/ieee80211_crypt.ko): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting ieee80211 (/lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/updates/net/ieee80211/ieee80211.ko): Invalid module format
FATAL: Error inserting ipw2200 (/lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/updates/drivers/net/wireless/ipw/ipw2200.ko): Invalid module format
Old 3rd November 2006, 10:49 PM
Iron_Mike Offline

If you are using FC6, it comes with built-in support for the ipw2200/2915 drivers and also the ieee80211 subsystem. You don't need to add them. The only thing you NEED TO ADD IS THE FIRMWARE which is currently at version 3.0. Go to sourceforge and download it unzip it and copy the files to your /lib/firmware directory and reboot. Then go to your system -->administration -->network menu and select new and scroll to wireless and your card should be listed.

http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php
Old 4th November 2006, 08:18 PM
AntMan Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Mike
If you are using FC6, it comes with built-in support for the ipw2200/2915 drivers and also the ieee80211 subsystem. You don't need to add them. The only thing you NEED TO ADD IS THE FIRMWARE which is currently at version 3.0. Go to sourceforge and download it unzip it and copy the files to your /lib/firmware directory and reboot. Then go to your system -->administration -->network menu and select new and scroll to wireless and your card should be listed.

http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php
Took your advice, then went to System>Services and started NetworkManager/NetworkManagerDispatcher rebooted and after running SoftwareUpdater via hardwire my WPA Wireless worked like a charm.

Thanks for the tip.

Tags
core, fedora, ipw2200, succeed, wpa