Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th October 2006, 01:26 AM
theweapon Offline

Huge font size gnome menus

Hi, I'm running FC5, and managed to make my gnome unusable.

If you go into fonts:// within the file browser, you can set the application font, well I chose one that had a font size of about 150, so File Edit was basically the only thing on the screen because the taskbar also enlarged. Also, I tried to get creative and fix it by keyboard shortcuts and wound up switching the font to a symbols fontset, so now there are just pictures on the screen.

There's no problems in KDE, so I'm hoping someone would be able to tell me how to adjust the gnome application fonts within it.

Thanks in advance
Old 29th October 2006, 11:25 PM
arapidsfan Offline

remove the .gnome* and maybe the .nautilus directories in your home folder.
Old 30th October 2006, 12:51 AM
theweapon Offline

This did not work, and I should also mention that this changed all toolbars, so no applications are usable within it.
Old 30th October 2006, 01:06 AM
arapidsfan Offline

open up terminal
Quote:
cd /home/*yours*
Quote:
rm -rf .*
that will do it.
Old 30th October 2006, 02:21 AM
theweapon Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by arapidsfan
open up terminal

that will do it.
other than the system fonts, what will removing all hidden directories in my home directory affect?
Old 30th October 2006, 04:56 AM
arapidsfan Offline

sorry, just about all your settings for your account. If you want to keep any thing exclude. maybe mozilla.
Old 30th October 2006, 05:08 AM
theweapon Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by arapidsfan
sorry, just about all your settings for your account. If you want to keep any thing exclude. maybe mozilla.
yeah and everything in my .wine, please dont post in this thread again, your arrogance is not welcome here.

This problem is secondary to keeping primary data intact, as common sense would suggest, however I would still appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited by theweapon; 30th October 2006 at 05:22 AM.
Old 30th October 2006, 10:47 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
I'll agree that to remove all hidden files or directories in a user's /home can lead to big problems, but using terms like 'arrogance' about someone who at least tried to help is not gaining you friends either.

As to your problem, it would seem that only your user fonts have been affected, so can you simply sign in as root and create a new user account with correct settings move data and delete the old? That seems a bit extreme perhaps, but it's early and I'm still on coffee cup #1 - someone else will come up with something better, I'm sure.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 30th October 2006, 10:44 PM
theweapon Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
I'll agree that to remove all hidden files or directories in a user's /home can lead to big problems, but using terms like 'arrogance' about someone who at least tried to help is not gaining you friends either.

As to your problem, it would seem that only your user fonts have been affected, so can you simply sign in as root and create a new user account with correct settings move data and delete the old? That seems a bit extreme perhaps, but it's early and I'm still on coffee cup #1 - someone else will come up with something better, I'm sure.

Bob, please dont lecture me on how to cement relationships, I'm here to try and resolve an issue, not join a frat. I will not defend myself to you, but I will say that I have researched arapidsfan's other threads and found him to be a rather reliable source, which is why I believe my comments were warranted as his instruction appears to be an intentional attempt to harm my data, or in the very least an unethical misuse of a power position, as opposed to helping. Do you have any idea how pissed off I would have been had I followed his instruction? No, and I dont think you want to know either, which is fine, I have come to lower my expectations in people.

As for your solution, if I knew what data to not move so that the problem doesn't reoccur in the new account, I would have attempted it.
Old 30th October 2006, 10:52 PM
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweapon
This did not work, and I should also mention that this changed all toolbars, so no applications are usable within it.
I believe you should rename the hidden ~/.gconf directory

under ~/gconf/desktop/desktop/interface

is an xml file with the desktop theme, icon and font settings. I haven't looked under the other subdirectories. Of course, I could be wrong so rename rather than delete.

Wayne
Old 30th October 2006, 11:07 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Theweapon - it's one of my jobs as Community Manager to maintain decorum on these threads. Please read the Guidelines and if you want to have a discussion on things, please send me a PM.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 30th October 2006, 11:21 PM
arapidsfan Offline

I feel that I warrant a right to defend myself, sorry. I assumed that you like most of the people this type of post are rather new to linux and were just playing around with settings after install. So, my change would fix the problem, and delete the few settings you changed. I would never have told you this if I realized that you had such directories as .wine.

I commonly use this exact method myself when I mess something up, and I back up my .wine and .mozilla.

I garantee that I had no intentions of harming your data.

If you still have this problem, I can help you keep your stuff.

Again, I do not believe that I was arrogant but made a inaccurate assumption. Because as you I researched the theweapon and you had only the post.

+
Quote:
as his instruction appears to be an intentional attempt to harm my data, or in the very least an unethical misuse of a power position, as opposed to helping.
It was in no regard intentional misuse as it was notably only trying to solve the problem. I am sorry but these comments hurt as I spend alot of time running my school network, based on the non misuse of power. It was a mis assumption.

Last edited by arapidsfan; 30th October 2006 at 11:33 PM.
Old 30th October 2006, 11:46 PM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hello:
Have a look here and if it does not help you I am sure others in the forum there will have a solution that you will.
http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11812

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 31st October 2006, 12:46 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Almost don't want to get into this one, but... And this is just a guess...

Try editing the xml file in .gconf/desktop/gnome/interface.

The font entries will be listed by face and size. Edit the sizes, and see if that works.

Post back the results please. I'm curious if this will work, but don't want to bork my install finding out.

Dan

EDIT: Whoops! Wayne beat me to it! Nice work, Wayne!

D

Last edited by TangledWeb; 31st October 2006 at 12:48 AM.
Old 31st October 2006, 12:55 AM
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangledWeb
Almost don't want to get into this one, but... And this is just a guess...

Try editing the xml file in .gconf/desktop/gnome/interface.

The font entries will be listed by face and size. Edit the sizes, and see if that works.

Post back the results please. I'm curious if this will work, but don't want to bork my install finding out.

Dan

EDIT: Whoops! Wayne beat me to it! Nice work, Wayne!

D
Hi Dan,

Hopefully it should do the trick....

Wayne

Tags
font, gnome, huge, menus, size