Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th February 2007, 03:10 AM
slimjimtowin Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulix
Been thinking about it.... problem is: can you plug a keyboard into a console (yes, it's a serious question) ?
PS2's also have usb ports though only certain games support keyboard mostly online multiplayer games like Everquest that allow chat. could you imagine having a conversation using your PS2 controller although there are people out there that do it, I think its a pain in the ass.
Old 25th February 2007, 04:23 AM
evilinux Offline

I play Quake 4 and thats about it, so for me its fine. Quake 4 runs better especially now that I have tweaked the heck out of this OS.
I am still looking for more tweaks, but I got this machine running now so it only uses 100.5 MB of memory right after boot, with system monitor running so I can see,.
After opening and closing several apps it is running at around 106 MB of ram used by the OS
games run faster and are more responsive. even though technically it shouldnt matter if you using 168 megs of ram for the OS when you have 2 gigs it does matter and I think maybe because the adresses in ram are closer somehow? Im not sure, but it matters.
Old 19th March 2007, 02:10 AM
jbordelon Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
To me, gaming consoles are the way to go for gaming. I refuse to spend the big bucks to make my computer into a gaming console, especially with my performance in the games. A wonderful alternative is when my neighbors and family buy the gaming consoles, invite me over and provide the beer. I am a very gracious loser if you supply the brew!
I'm with you. I try to keep my gaming and computing separate. Of course there are those who like to blur the lines and turn their console into a computer and their computer into a console. :-P

The only problem is when they release a game for PC and not for a console. Then I have to user Winderz
Old 19th March 2007, 08:16 AM
hugbees Offline

ohh yess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulix
Been thinking about it.... problem is: can you plug a keyboard into a console (yes, it's a serious question) ?
the xbox is nothing but a weird looking gaming computer

the controllers are in fact plain usb. and you can replace them with any kind of usb gear (need a little plug in between though..). this is really fun when your running linux on it like me =)
Old 19th March 2007, 09:46 PM
ajamison Offline

all next gen consoles except maybe the Wii have some form of keyboard the PS2/PS3 has a USB port and most USB keyboards will work with it
-----------------
Wiki page helping to show appropriate Fedora versions of Ubuntu commands [url=https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedorianDictionary]Fedora Dictionary[/url <--- Outdated been very busy looking to update it soon
Old 20th March 2007, 09:26 AM
Thetargos Online

The Wii also supports USB keyboards (and unless you're not familiar with the system, the Wii has two USB ports on the back)

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.
Old 20th March 2007, 09:25 PM
sailor Offline
Administrator

Location: San Antonio, Texas - Home of the Alamo, the "Cradle of Texas Liberty"
With CrossOver Office I am able to play Half-Life, I have 2 of the loki games that are ported windows games...and with free installers from id I have successfully run DoomIII, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and I still play all the old Doom games (I, II, Plutonia and TNT: Evilution).

I love BZFlag a native linux online 3d tank battle...Scorched Earth 3d is cool...I play the old point and click games, the Dig, Beneath a Steel Sky, Flight of the Amazon Queen and the Indiana Jones. I use Scummv to play those.

There are hundreds of old DOS games that will work in dosbox...I am old too, so I still like those

Fedora 20 - Lenovo IdeaPad V570

Last edited by sailor; 20th March 2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old 20th March 2007, 10:32 PM
Thetargos Online

I use DosBox to play my old DOS game selections too.

Old 21st March 2007, 04:03 AM
strikeforce Offline

Has anyone tried using VMWare to play games. As in install windows xp and play the games that way.

If you guys have do you have a list of what games you tried and what works. I'm getting sick of switching to windows to play WoW properly. Yes I do need to play WoW in windows since I have a lot of addons that mostly can't be reduced since I'm a GL and the mods enable me to upload raid data etc...

- How to pay forward
Fedora Help Wanted

- Need a quick guide
Fedora Guide
Old 21st March 2007, 08:09 PM
Thetargos Online

As far as I know, VMWare uses a generic 2D video device, I'm not sure if you'll be able to use any accelerated 3D applications under a VMWare Windows session.

Old 21st March 2007, 11:53 PM
strikeforce Offline

Yeah I figured as much. I just remember reading somewhere that VMWare is trying to achieve that so you can run 3D accelerated games and programs under it. I wasn't sure whether anyone had tried it thats all.

- How to pay forward
Fedora Help Wanted

- Need a quick guide
Fedora Guide

Tags
gaming, linux, trouble, worth