Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th October 2006, 10:07 PM
dishawjp Offline

FC6-unable to install

Hi All,

Been using RH and FC for years and have never had a problem like this one.

My main Linux box has two ATA hard drives and has been a dual boot Linux box since RH8/RH9 when I built it. I have always had one version on one hard drive and replaced the older one when a new release came out. Most recently it was FC5/FC4 with FC5 on hdc and FC4 on hdd. I went to install FC6 on hdd last night with media that passed the media check and the install seemed to go perfectly until it was time for firstboot. When it booted for the first time I got my old (FC5) grub screen and the only options were FC4 or FC5.

I wasn't too worried at first. Even though I had told the installer to put grub on the hdc mbr, I thought it might have goofed and put it on hdd or something. So I mounted hdd from FC5 and cd'd to /mnt/etc to edit my grub.conf. But it was just a broken symlink! OK, so I went to /mnt/boot intending to go to /mnt/boot/grub and fix things there.

Big surprise!!! No kernel was installed and there was no grub there either.

I reinstalled twice using options to install grub on hdd and again to the hdc mbr, but each time got the same results.

This one has me really scratching my head. As I said earlier, I've done this same type of install on this exact hardware for years and it's always been fine in the past. The media is OK, but the install is failing badly.

Any thoughts or pointers?

TIA,

Jim
Old 27th October 2006, 10:16 PM
BabySeal Offline

Hi jim,

Sorry to hear your having problems! Is there any reason why you cant put the boot loader on hda? Perhaps your BIOS is only looking at hda... Try that and see what happens! Or just try to swap your boot sequence... This may seem quite simple to you since youre probably quite handy with a computer, but its worth a try!

-andy
Old 28th October 2006, 03:16 AM
dishawjp Offline

Thanks for the reply Andy.

On my computer, hda is a dvd drive. I have my hard drives on the secondary IDE channel, which is unusual, but I made the mistake four or five years ago when I built the computer and it's never been a problem before, so it's not a BIOS issue. It's unique to FC6. I have had some minor problems in the past with just grub when installing on the secondary hard drive, in my case hdd, but they were easily enough fixed by manually editing my grub.conf.

This time there is the problem with no kernel being installed or anything else in the /boot directory. It would be possible to swap the IDE cables and swap my hda/b with hdc/d which would put my hard drives on the primary IDE channel and the optical drives on the secondary channel, but I have to believe that that would create some real grief with my FC5 install.

Thanks again for the response and if you or anyone else have even heard of others with a similar problem, I'd like to hear about it. And if there's a quick fix, I'd REALLY like to hear what it is.

Jim
Old 29th October 2006, 05:43 PM
dishawjp Offline

-bump_

Anybody else with any ideas?

Jim
Old 29th October 2006, 06:15 PM
Chanzki Offline

got the same problem too...it says error in booting...but ill try to make a solution but for now ima format my hdd...if any1 cofirms that the new released fc6 is bugged please tell

Tags
fc6unable, install