Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th October 2006, 09:55 AM
WastedYouth Offline

Core 6 installation hangs raid problem?

When i try to install FC6 it hangs just after starting the Xwindows after anaconda starts, i ran it again in text mode, and found it got to this...

"/dev/sdb: "pdc" and "isw" formats discovered (using isw)!"
"/dev/sdb: "sil" and "isw" formats discovered (using isw)!"
"dev/sda: "sil" and "isw" formats discovered (using isw)!"

then it stops and does nothing, im new to linux and dont know what this means so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have been through the instalation some times now, and have found if i try to put a drive in, (i dont have any i was just looking) but it sees i have 2 harddrive partitions, which is correct, and then sees four sd's eg sda, sdb, sdc and sdd, (i think) but i dont know what these are i only have 2 cd drives.

My system spec is :
P4 prescott 3.2 @ 4ghz
1Gb DDR400 @ 500mhz
Abit IC7-G mobo
3 x 80gb SATA hdds off a pci sata raid card running in RAID 0
geforce 5700LE

Cheers Chris
Old 26th October 2006, 10:42 AM
annuzzer Offline

@ WastedYouth:

I'm facing the issue too. There seems to be absolutely NO WAY to get FC6 installed to either my desktop pc (AMD 64, nVIDIA GeForce 7600) or my laptop. Graphical installer freezes reproducibly after selecting the partitions to mount and the packages to install (means: at the beginning of the actual installation process.

Ann
Old 26th October 2006, 10:50 AM
JEO Offline

Chris -
It sounds like you have some old raid controller metadata left on your drives and it is confusing the installer. pdc is promise and sil is silicon image. The metadata gets written to the drives when you attach them to the particular vendor's card and create an array.

I don't know the solution, but it probably involves putting the drives back on the vendors cards to erase the unwanted metadata. I would back up all your data first of course.
Old 26th October 2006, 10:56 AM
WastedYouth Offline

im afraid we dont have the same problem ann i cant even get to the partition selection or anything else part, the only thing i see is a cross for my mouse pointer then it hangs,

JEO you say i have left over metadata, i failed to mention (sorry) but i still have windows installed on the same array, and would wish to not destroy this, so your solution wont work im afraid... but you mention promise yet ive never had promise on there, it is a silicon add-in pci card, the only thing ive done recently is to re-flash this to a newer bios. is there a way to force it to use the silicon drivers and not promise? I have tried noprobe option and specified the devices but there were none there that were the same as mine, and the only FC that silicon support is before 6, so im stuck for drivers at the mo... ill look for some 3rd party drivers but i doubt they will be out yet, but everywhere i look people have a problem with the installation but they all get past me, and a lot of them have raids so if what you say is correct, is there a way to get rid of the "old" metadata? how do you find / view it?

Chris

Thanks for the help btw

Last edited by WastedYouth; 26th October 2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 26th October 2006, 03:32 PM
SevenHands Offline

Same problem here. My system hangs as soon as the graphical installer starts up. All I see is a jumbled image or maybe just a line or two in the display. Oddly the mouse moves around though. I'm not happy at all with FC6 right now and I see I'm not alone. I have tried installing on an nvriad (software raid) zero configuration (A8n-sli mobo), although I'm having trouble believing that the cause is somehow related to the RAID. I get a successful install by using the text installer, but when the install is finished, I've logged in and do a startx to start the x server, same problem happens. jumbled graphics with a moveable cursor. Switching virtual consoles via alt-f1, etc does not work.
Old 26th October 2006, 09:23 PM
WastedYouth Offline

ok solution... i heard from someone that if you use the command "linux nodmraid" at install it will work, they werent lying, ive installed fedora and now ive lost everything my win xp wont boot fedora wont boot i jsut get grub command come up o well off to grub.conf, though i have no idea what to do...
Old 27th October 2006, 02:05 AM
JEO Offline

Unfortunately, it sounds like you lost your Windows data.
the nodmraid option means that it will treat your drives as individual drives and not as a raid array. So most likely you overwrote one of the drives with a fedora installation on it. It won't boot because your raid bios is expecting data to be on the array, not just one drive. If you can change the bios to boot from one of the drives in non raid mode you can probably find the one that has FC6 on it.

About the metadata, if you never used the drives on a promise array maybe someone who had the drives before you did? One way to get rid of the metadata is to use the dmraid -E option to erase metadata, but this command has not worked well for me in the past (usually complains about the array not being complete or something and won't erase).

Last edited by JEO; 27th October 2006 at 02:12 AM.
Old 27th October 2006, 03:19 PM
WastedYouth Offline

o well that sucks, o well i gues thats what happens when you play with what you dont know, strange though, because during installation fc trated my drives as a volume, isnt this the array? and also if i told it to install in a small partitio of said volume, would that have gone over xp, even though xp wasnt in that partition? my last thing is grub wont now do anything i see "grub boot loader 1.5" then my computer restarts... ive tried running fixmbr from windows disk but that didnt do anything... im really stuck...
Old 27th October 2006, 09:58 PM
JEO Offline

I believe by default it uses logical volumes (LVM, logical volume management), which can span across multiple disks (don't know if it actually does use more than one or not by default, haven't tried it. So it's possible it installed itself that way. However it still would have ruined your exisiting data because it was not accessing the drives the same way and in the same striped raid0 order that the raid controller bios does.

As far as fixing grub goes, if you boot from the installation media you should be able to type linux rescue and that will allow you to reinstall grub manually. You can use fdisk -l to show what partitions it sees on each disk. For example fdisk -l /dev/sda would show the first scsi disk partitions and fdisk -l by itself would show all disks. After determining which disk(s) linux is on then u can install grub again.
Old 28th October 2006, 09:38 AM
mxracer95 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by WastedYouth
im afraid we dont have the same problem ann i cant even get to the partition selection or anything else part, the only thing i see is a cross for my mouse pointer then it hangs,
Exact same problem here. If the embedded software RAID is enabled, it hangs at the white cross/mouse pointer.

I have an ASUS P5MT-S with ICH7R controller. I can switch between Intel Matrix Storage or LSI Logic MegaRAID controllers and both result in the same hang.

Some help is needed here. There is obviously a problem with FC6 and FakeRAIDs.
Old 28th October 2006, 10:18 AM
mxracer95 Offline

I just noticed it is loading the AHCI driver and this seems to be the problem. I used the "noprobe" option and tried loading the megaraid drivers and I get as far as the drive selection but it isn't recognizing any drives. I tried the mbox driver for the heck of it and it shows no drives either.

So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the hanging problem is because the AHCI driver is loading when we're in RAID mode and not AHCI mode, and we (or at least I) need a MegaRAID driver that works.
Old 28th October 2006, 08:04 PM
WastedYouth Offline

well heres an update, i found that there was a problem because as JEO rightly said i have two sets of metadata, however i CANNOT for the life of me get rid of them, i have done a low level format on EACH drive after destroying the RAID set. I then went into fedoras rescue boot mode, and ran dmraid -an and it stopped 2 raid sets, but then when i try and use the dmraid -r -E option to delete the metadata i get a segmentation fault. So it seems to be protecting itself against me tampering.

MXracer95 you say you have a similar problem when you boot, but what does it say when you use linux text, keeping dmraid on... ? is it same / close to mine? because thats what seems to be upsetting fedora at the minute, whereas XP does not see this metadata at all, but linux can and because it can it wont work because its not sure what format im using, because i still have some promise metadata there...

The way i see it though im no expert by a LONG shot but i think if i managed to reset the metadata and have just my sil ones which is correct for my silicon add-in card then i think it would work... but blow me if i can find out how to clear metadata...
Old 28th October 2006, 11:09 PM
WastedYouth Offline

OK GOT IT !!!! my thought was right, heres how i went about it, note that currently i dont have a working dual boot but fedora is installing on my raid! without using the nodmraid command...

1.) i used dmraid -r to see which formats were on the metadata of my drive, 2 drives had both isw and sil, however one drive, which i did get 2nd hand had isw, sil and pdc.

2.) so from this i re-booted into the rescue mode, and this time let the installer probe (so no noprobe command) but then NOT mounting it, this allowed me to access the drives without getting a segmenatation falut.

3.) from this i removed all formats using dmraid -r -E, however on the drive with 3 formats this had a little trouble so i removed them one at a time, by using "dmraid -r -E -f [sil OR pdc or ISW] and then it let me

4.) once i did this i rebooted again and went into my raid config bios and remade the raid array, then i booted back into the rescue mode to check the raid was ok now, and the dmraid -r showed all 3 drives where one raid with only a single format

then i installed xp, now i am installing fedora, also this :

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html

is an amazing guide for a noob like me....

well i hope this helps someone, and if i can help anyone else then please let me know, i would be more than willing if i can help. Thanks to everyone here though JEO especially for pointing me in the right direction.

Chris
Old 29th October 2006, 01:03 AM
JEO Offline

You're welcome for the advice, glad you were able to get it installing again in fake-raid mode. Good idea about how to get dmraid -E command working also.
Old 31st October 2006, 11:10 AM
WastedYouth Offline

if only it was all that simple, all my dual boot thing is working but fedora is a mystery to me, i have no gui, i have to start in init 3, because startx says i have no drivers, i downloaded Nvidia......run file ran that, said i needed a kernel interface, but it couldnt find one online for me, so it tried top build one, that failed because i didnt have the kernel source downloaded, so i got yum to get me the kernel-devel package for my kernel, installed that, but now it attempts to build but just fails... o well, does anyone know where i can get the nv module it says i need?

Tags
core, hangs, installation, problem, raid