Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th October 2006, 04:20 PM
darkbluecast Offline

Wireless problem

I'm having a problem to set up my wireless and ethernet, please see the link. I put this folowing links in different topics because it is a general question, with different topics.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=125898

please see the link,

thank you
Old 4th October 2006, 05:54 PM
hiberphoptik Offline

i have an hp dv8000 with the same wireless cardd (intel ipw3945abg) under FC5 i had it working with the files provided on the intel website for linux, however now under FC6 pre-release with the new kernel I can't get the card going, the firmware, microcode, regulatory deamon, and subsystem all build/install fine but it claims to not see the card when i try to load the ipw3945d

seems to point to a kernel issue since i used the same hardware and drivers in the FC5 kernel

anyway.. if you are using FC5 go to the intel site and search for the linux files for the wireless card
Old 4th October 2006, 07:03 PM
darkbluecast Offline

I've tried to do that, but it didn't work. Now that I changed some things. I will try again,
but thanks for the advice
Old 5th October 2006, 04:36 PM
hiberphoptik Offline

dont give up! I was messing around withmine again last night and all of a suddennoticed that my wireless card was working..

i amnot sure what i did, but i just kept trying different versions of ieee80211 and ipw3945 kernel modules and something worked....

it would sure be nice if fedora included a good ieee80211 RPM for each kernel, i think after all the compiling and installing i am using the latest stable ieee package from ieee80211.sf.net
Old 6th October 2006, 02:13 AM
Iron_Mike Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiberphoptik
dont give up! I was messing around withmine again last night and all of a suddennoticed that my wireless card was working..

i amnot sure what i did, but i just kept trying different versions of ieee80211 and ipw3945 kernel modules and something worked....

it would sure be nice if fedora included a good ieee80211 RPM for each kernel, i think after all the compiling and installing i am using the latest stable ieee package from ieee80211.sf.net
Not to really harp on anything but If you notice the readme's on sourceforge you notice that the iee80211 subsystem has to be version 1.11 or higher. FC5 and up to FC6T3 have included at least 1.11 and higher. The readme's on sourceforge are for vanilla kernels without the module already. Most people don't look at dmesg to see what is actually loading when a kernel revision is implemented. Once they remove included kernel sources and install an external module, everytime a new kernel is released they might wonder why their wireless or something else is not working until they realize they either have to re-compile with the included subsystem or the external module

ieee80211: 802.11 data/management/control stack, git-1.1.13
Old 6th October 2006, 06:32 AM
hiberphoptik Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Mike
Not to really harp on anything but If you notice the readme's on sourceforge you notice that the iee80211 subsystem has to be version 1.11 or higher. FC5 and up to FC6T3 have included at least 1.11 and higher. The readme's on sourceforge are for vanilla kernels without the module already. Most people don't look at dmesg to see what is actually loading when a kernel revision is implemented. Once they remove included kernel sources and install an external module, everytime a new kernel is released they might wonder why their wireless or something else is not working until they realize they either have to re-compile with the included subsystem or the external module

ieee80211: 802.11 data/management/control stack, git-1.1.13
sorry there is no FC5 or FC6 ieee80211 rpm, in fact for this wireless card you cannot use the built in kernel module and a script will run while installnig the drivers that removes them if they are present, so you have to install the ones from ieee80211.sf.net however, finding the right version for yourkernel is sometimes a challenge, and sometimes they wont build at all.

it depends on the wireless card, the kernel, the regulatory deamon, the unicode, and the driver...
Old 6th October 2006, 11:44 AM
Iron_Mike Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiberphoptik
sorry there is no FC5 or FC6 ieee80211 rpm, in fact for this wireless card you cannot use the built in kernel module and a script will run while installnig the drivers that removes them if they are present, so you have to install the ones from ieee80211.sf.net however, finding the right version for yourkernel is sometimes a challenge, and sometimes they wont build at all.

it depends on the wireless card, the kernel, the regulatory deamon, the unicode, and the driver...

This is wrong, it does not automatically remove the old iee80211 subsystem, it specifically states, if you UPGRADE your subsystem to use the "remove-old" script that is included to remove the old module before installing the new subsystem.
Old 6th October 2006, 11:51 AM
hiberphoptik Offline

Quote:
This is wrong, it does not automatically remove the old iee80211 subsystem, it specifically states, if you UPGRADE your subsystem to use the "remove-old" script that is included to remove the old module before installing the new subsystem.
yes, and for this card you must do that (at least with my hardware configuration)

trust me I have had to wrestle this internal wireless card every time i update the kernel on this laptop.

one thing that always bugs me is the card is always showing that its receiving packets.. really annoying
Old 6th October 2006, 07:53 PM
Iron_Mike Offline

You might try this for the scanning / pkts receiving Edit you modprobe.conf file

/etc/modprobe.conf
options ipw3945 associate=0

The ipw3945 option associate=0 turns off scanning when the driver is not associated. With the default setting associate=1, the driver does about three scans in 1.2 seconds and will automatically associate with open and unencrypted access points. I recommend the option associate=0 for users of NetworkManager for several reasons. NetworkManager gives the user control over the access points the driver associates with. NetworkManager will request a scan when it needs one. When NetworkManager disables wireless, it doesn't make sense to keep scanning.
Old 6th October 2006, 08:38 PM
hiberphoptik Offline

Quote:
You might try this for the scanning / pkts receiving Edit you modprobe.conf file

/etc/modprobe.conf
options ipw3945 associate=0

The ipw3945 option associate=0 turns off scanning when the driver is not associated. With the default setting associate=1, the driver does about three scans in 1.2 seconds and will automatically associate with open and unencrypted access points. I recommend the option associate=0 for users of NetworkManager for several reasons. NetworkManager gives the user control over the access points the driver associates with. NetworkManager will request a scan when it needs one. When NetworkManager disables wireless, it doesn't make sense to keep scanning.
TY for the suggestion.. i tried the associate=0 option but it still always shows the status of receiving

i also tried simply doing:

modprobe -r ipw3945
then
modprobe ipw3945 associate=0

it went down then back up again withotu issues but still constant receiving

intersting to note... after doing the modprobe ipw3945 associate=0 it was quiet (no transmit no receive as you would expect) but the first time it is used (ping or go to website etc..) the infinit receiving starts

Tags
problem, wireless