Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd April 2007, 11:38 PM
Kre Offline

Ok, hello all and here's my problem. I'm on a Duron, 850 Mhz and a Nvidia Geforce 2 Ti graphic card, using FC6 (last complete update using << yum update >> was made Thursday, 28.03.2007):

kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.i686
kernel-2.6.20-1.2933.fc6.i686
kernel-devel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.i686
kernel-devel-2.6.20-1.2933.fc6.i686
kernel-headers-2.6.20-1.2933.fc6.i386

The problem is that when trying to get the nvidia driver through livna repository using
yum install kmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
I get
Running Transaction
Installing: kmod-nvidia ######################### [1/2]
Installing: xorg-x11-drv-nvidia ######################### [2/2]
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.20-1.2933.fc6/extra/nvidia/nvidia.ko): No such device
Installed: kmod-nvidia.i686 0:1.0.9755-2.2.6.20_1.2933.fc6 xorg-x11-drv-nvidia.i386 0:1.0.9755-3.lvn6
Complete!

The problem is that after rebooting (although in the startup sequence the drivers are loading well) the X server crashes and it needs reinitalization and replacing the old conf. file with a new one (it's doing the same thing everytime i boot, even if i'm not changing anything in display's settings). After that it's asking me to accept the new settings (800x600, billions of colors) and the gnome deskiop environment is loading. Maybe it's not an important thing, but I got an obsession with making the beryl working, and I read i need to update the video drivers for that. I think maybe those drivers in the livna repo are not good for my GF2 Ti, but i did not find others.

Thank you and say if you need to see the log that the X server makes everytime i boot. (i think maybe it a more common problem and you heard about it)
Old 11th April 2007, 06:47 PM
TriBooter Offline

Thanks...

I appreciate the link to that info.
Looks like I screwed up I guess.

I installed ATI's driver for my Radeon X1300 Pro.

I found out pretty quick it is CRAP on Fedora...

The only thing I gained by installing it was a 'proper' ratio screen resolution of 1680x1050 for my widescreen monitor. The desktop looks great, but otherwise, I think the display is crap and I don't even game. Even just text in programs and web browsers looks rough.

Ironically their controll center looks the worst of all....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshoot.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	11900  
Dual Seagate SATA Drives
Booting Vista, XP Pro 64 & Ubuntu 7.10 64-bit
:eek:
Old 11th April 2007, 06:59 PM
TriBooter Offline

Anyways, furthering my post....

I'm pretty tired now with trying to get everything working properly and maybe I missed something.
BUT HERE'S MY GRIPE ON THE DRIVER ISSUE....

In my case, my display was "working" with a driver at first boot.
But I have a widescreen digital flat panel (Dell E207WFP)

At first boot it was using some generic driver for the ATI card and the monitor.
It was using a resolution of 1450x???? which was not the right ratio for my widescreen.

None of the available resolutions were the right ratio, so I started looking at other provided drivers. I tried changing to the provided Radeon driver and so forth, but the change would not take and it would go back to defaults.

That's when I got aggrivated and went to ATI's site seeking a linux driver.

So what did I miss? What else was I supposed to do?
Dual Seagate SATA Drives
Old 29th April 2007, 03:20 AM
iwasapenguin Offline

Would any one know if the FC5 kernel (as initially installed) would stuff up installation of the nvidia Vatnta LT card?
I have the official .run package from nvidia but each time I run it it says it can't compile a kernel module because there is some thing wrong with my kernel or a file someplace (taht I doubt I have is blocking it).
If any one can help that would be great
Old 29th April 2007, 03:40 AM
TriBooter Offline

I don't know man... I have no faith left in the 2.6.20 kernel

I went from the teens to a 20 my first kernel update and it fell flat after the first boot.
Another kernel update I did the other night of a latter version of 20 did the same thing.

Crap part is that I forgot I needed to change that setting to increase the number of old kernels it keeps to boot. So I lost the one that did halfway operate.

I'm going to wipe the whole dang thing out and start over.
Maybe with another flavor of Linux. A friend of mine did this and solved all his woes.
Dual Seagate SATA Drives
Old 29th April 2007, 04:07 AM
iwasapenguin Offline

Actually this is the best support for my obscure card I've seen yet. Other systems (I collect them) won't let me go past 1024x768 graphics. the problem is when ever I try using something with 3d graphics the frame rate drops and that's without OpenGL. Then the effects are on par with windows crashing.
Old 29th April 2007, 05:50 AM
TriBooter Offline

Well, when I did ATI's crap from their site, I gained a useable screen ratio.

Lucky for me it was my monitor's native resolution.
1680x1050

So it will go that far and into widescreen.

The trouble is that it doesn't matter... as the quality is crap.
Makes my eyes and head hurt to read dang text... even with increased DPI and font size.

I'd be happy if it just looked as good as it did generically, and had a resolution the right ratio.
I don't think reading text is much to ask.

Like now, I'm in Vista on the same machine.
The Vista version for it has two proper ratios for my display.
1680x1050 and 1280x800.
Both look great, and it looks extra good in 1680x1050.
But I use 1280x800 because the text is larger and it looks more normal to me.

I'm not sure what to do.
I guess I could start over with Fedora Core 6.
Then get an open source driver for my X1300 Pro.
But then I'd have to pray for a proper widescreen aspect ratio...
And I'd have to do without any updates.

Doesn't sound enthusing.
Dual Seagate SATA Drives
Old 1st May 2007, 02:12 AM
iwasapenguin Offline

Mmm... the prob is that most of these people are used to writing drivers in windows I expect.
Bad habbits, bad sys, bad drivers (I beleave that half of Windows problems is that the people who code it learnt in windows).
Old 1st May 2007, 04:33 AM
TriBooter Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwasapenguin
Mmm... the prob is that most of these people are used to writing drivers in windows I expect.
Bad habbits, bad sys, bad drivers (I beleave that half of Windows problems is that the people who code it learnt in windows).
Could be.

I myself don't have much trust in, or respect for Windows operating systems.
Well... other than I marvel at what they can do that I can't yet...

I like Linux better overall, but here in the real world, Windows is sorta shoved down your throat rather you like it or not. I myself stayed with windows 98 for nine years. It took me until 2005 to start using XP some. And during that time, I kept one single installation of Windows 98 up and running. To this day, it's never been wiped out and reinstalled. But it took a lot of wrenching and tweaking on my part to get it stabilized... and some help from "free" applications.... and I think it probably helped too that new versions of windows released and I got off the bleeding edge and left way behind. Out of sight, out of mind, out of focus of viruses, hackers, ect.

When I started trying to learn a little about application programming... well then I had to move to the NT family. After working with some of their languages, etc, I'm left with one basic thought... it's no wonder most things Microsoft are the way they are... shesh!!!

After using Fedora a while, I'm sorta left with the basic thought... there's gotta be a less complicated way.... I know a lot of it is the hardware MFG's, but at the same time since I have not tinkered with any other distributions, I have to wonder if the grass is greener?
Dual Seagate SATA Drives
Old 9th June 2007, 10:56 AM
martinellison Offline

Fedora 7 and Nvidia drivers

See http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi....php?p=2780981 for a fix if your NVIDIA driver fails to load on F7. Note that the fix is different for the x86_64 architecture.
Old 21st June 2007, 03:10 AM
zx5000 Offline

Question F7 & ATI fglrx Anyone seen a solution to this?

(II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so
(II) Module fglrx: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
compiled for 7.1.0, module version = 8.36.5
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.0
[atiddxSetup] X version mismatch - detected X.org 1.3.0.0, required X.org 7.1.0.0
(II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so
(EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
Old 12th July 2007, 01:21 AM
stuffdone Offline

Suspect: nVida driver AMD 64 duo New

When I did the fresh install on new system everything went great. Then after the install when I reboot I get no video...Acer monitor displays error "Video Input Not Supported"

Several searches seem to point to settings for the monitor but each offers solutions that look different to me. I am a novice with Linux so any advice with that in mind is most appreciated.

Building dual boot. Fedora 64 bit and Win2K. MoBo M2NBP-VM with AMD 64 Dual Core and 3 GB Ram. Nvida Gforce6 dual head card. Using analog only. No DVI monitor available.

Thanks !
Old 14th September 2007, 04:11 AM
judgeoz Offline

Question Installing Fedora Ver 7

I am having difficulty installing Fedora Ver 7 from CD

From the start the installation falls over when checking system...

At the point when recognising the two Nvidia cards they are 6600 GT extreme cards SLI connected. The screen turns to hash and install stops at that point.

The hardrive currently has Xandros version 3 installed

Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 18th October 2007, 12:34 PM
slovey Offline

Thank you very much!
Old 6th November 2007, 07:46 PM
rxmccaf Offline

Red face

This appears to be correct. Fedora 7 installs Kernel 2.6.22.X. But of course it soon tries to upgrade you to 2.6.23.X.
I have an ATI Radeon X1950 PCIe on a AMD x86_64
Even after adding the dev packages( gcc, etc...), kernel source packages, dkms, libdrm, rpm-build, etc... I was unable to run
the ati install program. (8.42.4) or even the older ones (8.40.4 & 8.38.6) under any of the 2.6.23.X Kernels. However it works great under the 2.6.22.X Kernels. Even 8.42.4 seems to work fine on the 2.6.22 Kernels. However I did notice, if I try to set up a dual boot using both kernels, it pixelizes everything back on the 2.6.22 kernel. For now, it seems the best thing to do, is not upgrade your kernel. GL games such as PPracer, SuperTux, Arena, TuxKartRacer, etc... work great. GLX/Compiz cube and wobble effects also work great. With the 8.42.4 installer, I was able to leave the Composite Option under Extensions set to True. With older versions I've always had to set this to false.

Ray

Last edited by rxmccaf; 6th November 2007 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Incorrect Kernel version (8.6.x ?)
Closed Thread

Tags
ati, binary, drivers, nvidia, problem, warning