Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th September 2006, 06:40 PM
radman44 Offline

Dell Poweredge 1950 FC4

All,
OK, I am trying to install FC4 on a poweredge 1950.
Why FC4? Because the FC5 kernal isn't very stable for OpenVZ (http://openvz.org/)
Yes, I am building a VPS server.

Anyway, I stick the FC4 disk in the drive, boot, and it can't find the HD Disks. FC5 does working with no problems.
Any chance I will be able to get FC4 installed on this 1950?

Richard
Old 19th September 2006, 02:03 AM
jcliburn Offline

My guess is the old FC4 kernel doesn't support your disk controller (SATA, I presume). The only option would be to hack the driver module(s) for your controller, build them under FC4, and feed them to the installer on a floppy driver disk. That's what I had to do with FC5 recently on a brand new motherboard with an unsupported SATA controller.
Old 21st September 2006, 12:32 AM
radman44 Offline

Good Idea

jcliburn,
Good idea, but I am afraid I have no floppy drive! I am trying to figure out if I can get the fedora installer to read the drivers off of this dell driver disk I have. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.........
Any other ideas?
Old 21st September 2006, 02:35 AM
jcliburn Offline

What type of Dell driver disk is it? USB?
Old 21st September 2006, 10:05 AM
jonny5 Offline

radman

This may or may not help you... I had the same issue loading FC4 on a 1950, it seems that the Fc4 kernel does not support the LSI raid controller. I found a driver on LSI for RH and although the FC4 installer read the driver it did not actually load it. You need the LSI megaraid_sas driver, which as I say I couldn't get Fc4 to read, but as I'm not very experienced with Linux there may be a way to hack it so that FC4 reads it in. I ended up using FC5, which loaded the driver straight away and was happy, although I understand this won't work for you.... there may be a way to use an updated kernel with the FC4 install?? not sure though.... hope the info helps in some way

now, if I could only get FC5 to allow eth0 network access I'd be a happy fellow, grrrr
Old 3rd October 2006, 09:02 PM
tankianchai Offline

Hello, I am try to do fresh install on 1950. I wonder should I use the rest of the free space to do the install or remove everything in the hard drive then install.
Old 3rd October 2006, 09:04 PM
tankianchai Offline

The Machine and FC5 Disk are in front of me right now; so does anyone want to guide me though this.
Old 27th October 2006, 08:51 PM
pr0t Offline

Re

I am having the same problem I am trying to install FC4 on a PowerEdge 1950 but I cant get it to recongize my drives the first step i did do that was mentioned earlier was I tried to use the RH and RHEL drivers, I even tried to use the SuSE drivers, they load but do not work which I really didnt expect them to so eh....If anyone has found a solution to this problem please let me know.
Old 27th October 2006, 10:43 PM
tankianchai Offline

Thumbs up FC5 install sucessful in 1950

I am sucessful install FC5 in my PowerEdge 1950; but two problems, my video lossing it display sometime; and network connection is very very slow. (If the Display working properly, Network connection will be no problem at all).
Old 27th October 2006, 11:11 PM
pr0t Offline

Yes, FC5 will have no problem installing on a Dell PowerEdge 1950, but as for FC4 that is a different story. If anyone has installed FC4 (Fedora Core 4) and only 4 not 5 or 6 on a Dell PowerEdge 1950 only a 1950 not a 1900 or anything else please reply to this thread.

I have been searching for days for drivers for FC4 on a poweredge 1950 to get the PERC 5/i intergrated controller and SAS drivers to be recongized but it seems impossible at the moment no one has seem to have accomplished this.

Tags
1950, dell, fc4, poweredge