Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th September 2006, 02:22 PM
pete_1967 Offline
Clueless in a Cuckooland

Not a way to start your week

I got laptop from work with Win2K on it and wanted to open an Acrobat file for reading on it.

I had a browser open as well and after clicking the pdf file to open it, switched back to browser. After about 5 minutes I remembered that I was supposed to open a pdf file and minimized the browser window to be faced with Acrobat update message. I clicked 'no' and next thing I got was a list of 3 patches (upd to 7.0.8) for Acrobat Reader. Thought "What the heck, let's update it then." Selected patches and 1/3 through, a window pops-up telling me I have to restart the computer! So I restart, and 2/3 through (2nd patch applied) I had to restart again! Now, finally, the 3rd patch was installed and guess what! Yes, "Reboot now - Reboot later" options are staring at me again!

That's 3 reboots for patching Acrobat Reader! Talking about productivity software...

Thank God I don't have to use that laptop for anything of importance.
Old 18th September 2006, 02:28 PM
havenoclu Offline

gotta love the 'ol windows reboots.
Old 18th September 2006, 04:19 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Thanks for the heads-up Pete. 3 re-boots? That's going well beyond normal updates and deep into the land of OS integration.

It is, perhaps, educational to note that Adobe is a signatory member of the BSA.

Welcome to the wide wonderful world of patronware.

Dan
Old 18th September 2006, 04:33 PM
schwim Offline

Adobe drives me bat****. It's bad enough on a BB connection, but on dial-up, regardless of your answer to any update questions, if it's already begun downloading, it doesn't stop, and on dial-up, it effectively brings your productivity to a screeching halt.

It wouldn't be so bad if it only downloaded changes, but it downloads the whole file system. Also, a smart downloader that only uses idle time would have been nice.

I installed a FOSS .pdf reader on my wife's computer and removed Adobe reader.

No more problems

thanks,
The Villain formerly known as schwim

performing amazing acts of mediocrity since 1974.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
FC 7(32 bit)/Gnome
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Nvidia 6800 GT
1 Gig ram
Old 21st September 2006, 04:17 AM
dishawjp Offline

Hell, three reboots and you're complaining? Where I work, most of the users run Windows. I run SUSE, so I'm not affected, but once a week IT pushed patches down. Last week there were 19 of them and users had to reboot ten times. I was finished with my e-mail and well onto other things... OK, well had gotten my second cup of coffee and read some Linux sites and maybe even done some real work... long before those poor suckers were done with their downloads, installs and reboots. Hey, maybe I need a raise because I (well at least I could) get so much more work done. And this crap (not always that bad) happens every week!
Old 21st September 2006, 04:34 AM
pparks1 Offline

Forget Adobe Acrobat reader.....it's terrible.

Instead, look up FoxIt PDF Reader. It's free and loads instantly. No more waiting for Acrobat reader.
Registered Linux User #375155 For More Info or to register yourself

My Linux box is:
Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..
Old 21st September 2006, 04:48 AM
wintersm Offline

I had the same thing, also motorola phone tools did the same thing - once i started to update it took 5 updates and i couldnt use it until it finished all - took me 2 days.. soddit..
Old 23rd September 2006, 04:24 AM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka.trek
HOLD ON JUST A DING-BAT MINUTE!!! Since when is there a "good" way to start the week?????

In the phrase "going to work" what part of 'work' don't you guys get?????

Work always sucks snail testicles!!! It's supposed to suck. That's why they call it "work" instead of "party" or "fun" or ...... well you get the point.
Hello:
Get back on your meds

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 24th September 2006, 08:12 AM
w5set Offline

"WORK" is a four letter word ya know.
I'm with eureka--ain't no "good time" for it to start within my week--ain't no "good time" contained inside "work"--and personally I would be much better if the morning started about 11am or so.
After 11am and then 4 to 5 cups of coffee, I can start waking up----slowly.
Work just interfeers with all that.