Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Other Versions > EOL (End Of Life) Versions
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

EOL (End Of Life) Versions This is a Forum to discuss problems and workarounds for versions of Fedora that have passed End of Life.

Old 5th September 2006, 04:24 PM
crmpicco Offline

Red face GUI Installer (or installer type) for FC5 - instead of commands

I am a nooB to FC5, just wondering, when I am downloading software for my OS. Is there any I can just download a 'setup' file or an installer that will run and instal the software after me double-clicking it?

Similar to a .exe does in Win32 environments??

Do i have to run commands?

Thanks,
Picco
Old 5th September 2006, 04:48 PM
Black_Templar Offline

Anaconda is a very flexible tool that will allow users to automate their installations. You will still need access to the software packages that need to be installed.

Quote:
Do i have to run commands?
The GUI based install is all GUI - no command line - However, you would need to make selections in the screens (like the other OS you referenced). Kickstart can eliminate those selections with a predefined answer list...

You can read up on kickstart here:
http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/co...kickstart.html
Old 5th September 2006, 04:59 PM
daneel971 Offline

I think that crmpicco is asking for something else. Click on the link for the FedoraFAQ above in this page. There's section about instaling software.

EDIT: @Black_Templar - I like your signature
Old 5th September 2006, 05:14 PM
crmpicco Offline

thanks for those replies, the link you gave me reads

"Kickstart Configurator provides a graphical interface for creating kickstart files. These files are used by anaconda to allow for automated installations."

by the looks of it you need to install this before you can then go and download other apps (such as DivX codec)

It also says:

"Rawhide
The latest development version of the package is available in RPM and SRPM formats."

What is the best for me? My FC5 machine is not connected to the WWW, so I will have to download it on another machine then copy it onto a Pen Drive/USB Key and install from there.

I cant even see KickStart in either RPM or SRPM lists???

Picco

Tags
commands, fc5, gui, installer, type