Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th August 2006, 05:29 PM
dstme Offline

Unable to access CDROM - FC5

I tried to install with FC 5. I finish installing on the first disk (disk1), then I get error message "Unable to access CDROM" when I tried to put in disc 2.

I install sha1sum.exe in my win xp to check sha1sum for all iso images and all 100% perfect. I understand that I need to burn iso image slow, which I burn at 8x. Still unable to install and I have wasted countless plastic

I have check with Media Check, and found the disk 2 has error "unable to find install image /tmp/cdrom". But I have check on sha1sum and even burn at the slowest speed. What else can I do. Plz help.

Last edited by dstme; 29th August 2006 at 05:49 PM.
Old 30th August 2006, 04:17 AM
dstme Offline

I tried to install the minimum FC 5 on my computer by unselect all except BASE catergory and unselect all sub-catergories except base, but when it start to install, it still ask for disc 2.

Can anyone tell me what is the minimum installation without using disc 2? I still have problem with my disc 2 as above.
Old 30th August 2006, 04:21 AM
u-noneinc-s Offline

Quote:
I have check with Media Check, and found the disk 2 has error "unable to find install image /tmp/cdrom". But I have check on sha1sum and even burn at the slowest speed. What else can I do. Plz help.
Try again and at the installer prompt try
Code:
linux ide=nodma
and see if that works.

Perpetual Newbie
--
I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

411874 Get Counted
Old 30th August 2006, 04:30 AM
dstme Offline

Thanks u-noneinc-s, I'm a newbie in linux. Can you explain where about is installer prompt? Do you mean when I put my first cd, it prompts for graphical or other install options?
Old 30th August 2006, 04:44 AM
u-noneinc-s Offline

Yes, before you click install, type in linux ide=nodma and then start the installation. There is no guarentee that this will work, but you said the discs all pass the sha1, but disc 2 errors on the media check, so this might work. There is a media check bug (on some systems) with FC4 and FC5.

I have not seen this error before ("unable to find install image /tmp/cdrom") so I don't know if this is do to the mediacheck bug or not. All you can do is try.

Perpetual Newbie
--
I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

411874 Get Counted
Old 30th August 2006, 05:02 AM
dstme Offline

Tried it with linux ide=nodma. Still no luck. Any alternative?
Old 30th August 2006, 05:07 AM
u-noneinc-s Offline

Sorry, that's it for me. There should be other installation options available. Check the bottom of the screen for F# keys. One of them will list other commanline options.

Perpetual Newbie
--

411874 Get Counted
Old 30th August 2006, 12:14 PM
dstme Offline

Try many many times, but still unable to install with disc 2. I have download again the disc 2 iso from the following link. http://mirror.spanasia.net/fedora/linux/5/i386/iso/

Can anyone tell me if there is any problem after burning iso 2 to disc? Anyone can help?

I guess I'm not the only one having problem installing fedora and that's why still many people still stick with windows even it sux and we have to pay so much to Gates.

Tags
access, cdrom, fc5, unable