FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    coleman Guest

    init.d - rc.local permission denied

    I have two identical machines, both running fedora core 4.
    Plain installs, no kernel mods, generic.

    I'm trying to run a user script from either init.d or rc.local.
    The original machine, works fine, no errors.

    My new machine gives me: "su: /bin/bash: permission denied" when booting up.
    However, I can run the ./rc.local script as root and it works fine, doesn't work on boot up.
    I tried to add another user and run a script in its home area, also get the same error.
    I've checked all the permissions on the /home, /home/user directories, all are 755 or so.
    I've checked all the permissions on /etc and it's child directories, all 755.
    Again, works when I manually run it, doesn't work on boot up.

    Basically the line looks like:
    su - user -c '/home/user/dosomescript.sh'

  2. #2
    coleman Guest
    Well, after two days of waiding through google pages I've finally got something to work.
    instead of using: su - user -c "xxxx"
    use: runuser -s /bin/bash - user -c "xxxx", this seems to work, not sure why it needs to be different than my other machine, at least I can move on...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 28th March 2008, 06:37 AM
  2. exec of init failed!!!: permission denied
    By homey43 in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th August 2007, 02:02 PM
  3. Permission Denied
    By kushboy in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 9th August 2004, 05:27 AM
  4. permission denied
    By brostu in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25th July 2004, 10:51 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •