Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st August 2006, 11:20 AM
relen Offline

Question Volume created on one machine not mountable on another

I neded to transfer a large amount of data between a machine at home and one at work, both running FC5. I installed a drive on the home system, created an ext3 partition across the whole drive, mounted it, made it owned by a user but read/write/execute by user, group and other, and copied the data across.

Installing the drive in the machine at work, I find that while it displays in the "Computer" window (with the volume label "library" as it should), I can't mount it.

Looking at the Hardware browser I see that indeed it regards /dev/hdb/ as having an ext3 partition, hdb1, of the correct size. LVM, however, shows it as an "uninitialized entity", size 232.89GB, partition type NONE, no file system, and fdisk can't see a partition table.

I would be most grateful for any suggestion on how to mount this disk, ideally without having to copy everything again, of course. Could it be a permissions issue? I presume it's not as deep a problem as it appears because the system is correctly displaying the volume label.

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

--Richard E
Old 21st August 2006, 04:54 PM
tashirosgt Offline

When you say you can't mount it, do you mean you can't mount it using the mount command from the command line? Do you have a line for hdb1 in /etc/fstab ?
Old 21st August 2006, 05:05 PM
ccrvic Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by relen
I installed a drive on the home system, created an ext3 partition across the whole drive
Did you *partiton* it first, or did you create an ext3 *filesystem* across the whole drive?

Quote:
LVM, however, shows it as an "uninitialized entity"
Did you use LVM to create VGs on the disk?

Vic.
Old 21st August 2006, 05:53 PM
relen Offline

Thanks for the replies!

On the home machine, I used fdisk to create an ext3 partition occupying the entire disk. I then mounted it and copied the data across after having set the volume to be owned by an ordinary user and r/w/x for user, group and others.

On the work machine, I installed the drive (it's hdb and the partition hdb1) and can see the volume with its label "library" in the "Computer" window, but when I right-click on it and try to Mount Volume, it tells me, "Cannot mount volume. You are not privileged to mount the volume 'library'." Hence my suspicion that it's a permissions issue (should have mentioned this before).

I prefer to be able to mount a volume manually before getting the system to do it automatically, but having failed in the former I did put a line in /etc/fstab and immediately wished I hadn't: on boot, fsck couldn't see a filesystem and dropped me out. I had to remember how to drive ed to delete the additional line in the file and reboot.

I had not previously ever used LVM and only really discovered it in trying to look at the status of the drive.

--Richard E
Old 21st August 2006, 06:04 PM
ccrvic Offline

Quote:
I used fdisk to create an ext3 partition occupying the entire disk.
No you didn't. ext3 is a filesystem type, and fdisk doesn't create filesystems.

I'll assume you used mkfs to create an ext3 filesystem on a partition you created with fdisk. If this assumption proves to be wrong, all bets are off.

Quote:
I right-click on it and try to Mount Volume, it tells me, "Cannot mount volume. You are not privileged to mount the volume 'library'."
Right. You're trying to mount a volume as an ordinary user, but you haven't set your system up to allow you to do so.

You need to create a line in /etc/fstab describing the mount you want, and you need to set the option field to permit mounting by an ordinary user. man mount will tell you how.

For testing only, use the root account to mount the filesystem.

Quote:
I did put a line in /etc/fstab and immediately wished I hadn't: on boot, fsck couldn't see a filesystem and dropped me out.
What line did you put in fstab?
What error did fsck give you?

Quote:
I had not previously ever used LVM and only really discovered it in trying to look at the status of the drive.
If you didn't create LVM structures on the drive, then you don't have LVM on it. That means that LVM is a red herring.

Vic.
Old 21st August 2006, 06:30 PM
relen Offline

Lightbulb

OK... I found the solution. Many thanks for the helpful suggestions that at least made me think about possible solutions.

I had tried the mount command before, unsuccessfully, but this time I tried mounting /dev/hdb instead of dev/hdb1. This worked and I could see the files on the new drive.

I put a suitable line in /etc/fstab and up it came. As it's now part of the fielsystem it doesn't show up separately in the Computer window, as one might expect.

I presume this means that a partition that occupies an entire drive is equivalent to a drive and not a partition on a drive.

--Richard E
Old 21st August 2006, 06:39 PM
ccrvic Offline

Quote:
I presume this means that a partition that occupies an entire drive is equivalent to a drive and not a partition on a drive.
It means you don't have any partitions on that drive. You've put the filesystem directly on top of the block device.

That won't kill you, but it can make life difficult if you're not expecting it (as you've found out).

Vic.
Old 21st August 2006, 09:24 PM
relen Offline

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrvic
It means you don't have any partitions on that drive. You've put the filesystem directly on top of the block device.

That won't kill you, but it can make life difficult if you're not expecting it (as you've found out).
Errrr... Apparently so.

It was a brand-new disk, installed as hdb, so on the home machine I used fdisk to create a partition table. I created a partition numbered 1, and fdisk suggested the extent as the start and end cylinders of the drive. In other words, I created a single partition that occupied the entire available space, hdb1. To my mind that is still a partition.

I then created an ext3 filesystem on the partition by using mkfs.ext3.

On the machine at home, everything was completely normal. I mounted it with the mount command and what I mounted was hdb1, not hdb. I never put a line in /etc/fstab because I never needed it to auto-mount.

On the machine at work, it would not mount that way. Although the hardware browser showed there to be an ext3 partition, "hdb1", on drive hdb, I could not mount it either manually nor with a line in /etc/fstab.

Only when I referred to it as "hdb" and not "hdb1" did it mount successfully. I did not - and would not - have expected the behavior to differ between the two machines.

Although I am happy to now have it working, I do not quite see why this is the case, so your comments are proving rather illuminating!

--Richard E

Tags
created, machine, mountable, volume