Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th August 2006, 01:46 PM
fooDK Offline

Question Upgrading Fedora

Hi Linux-folks.

I am fairly new in the Linux world, and Fedora C5 is my first ambitious atempt to addapt, but it has been a bumby ride so far...

I finnaly succeded in installing yesterday after some strugglin with the installer, and then i wanted to run a yum upgrade - no problem there.

No the problem was when i rebooted - the new core (2.6.17-1.2139_FC5smp) was in a panic

http://www.foo-online.dk/P8130012.JPG

I could switch back to the old core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp) but after i tried installing drivers for my GFX yum install nvidia-graphics8762 the X application couldnt run either.

So my idea now is to make a clean install, but when i upgrade, how do i make the new kernel boot without getting in the same problem, and can i install the drivers for my GFX and have success there?

Thank you in advance, and thank you for your patience

foo`

PS: Please describe everything i have to do, because I am not that familliar with the linux term yet.
Old 14th August 2006, 02:31 PM
b_martinez Offline

Before you re-install, try this out.
You need to edit the file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' and in the monitor section (I think) you need to change the driver from 'nv' to 'nvidia'.
You can also try to edit the start-up script [temporarily] to boot without ACPI.
To do this, at the boot screen press the 'e' key. You should see two entries. One for the old kernel, one for the new. Use the up/down arrows to highlight the new kernel entry, hit the 'e' key again, arrow down to highlight the second line,[begins "kernel /vmlinuz...." or similar] and hit the 'e' key again. add 'ACPI=0' {zero not the letter "O"} or 'ACPI=off'.
NOTE: do not type in the '' '' , just what's between them.
hth
Bill
Old 14th August 2006, 02:49 PM
fooDK Offline

b_martinez >> That would just give me a picture on the screen again or what?

If i want to edit xorg, what is the command for entering that file, and when in the file, the command for saving and exiting?
Old 14th August 2006, 03:33 PM
b_martinez Offline

Sorry for the delay, had to take the car in for repairs. Yes , it would get you to graphical again.Of course, that is what the xorg.conf file sets up. Which kernel were you using when you install nvidia? that is the one that will use the driver. It needs to be installed for each kernel. One way to get set up is to boot to the same kernel that the nvidia-kmod is installed in, but do it in run level 2 (text mode - single user) or run level 3 (text mode - multi-user). To do this, get to the kernel line, same way you would do the "ACPI=0" and at the end of the line add '3' [no quotation marks]. Then hit the enter key, then the 'b' [to boot] key. log in as root, and type in /sbin/nvidia-config OR type in 'nano -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf'.
Nano is an easy to use editor, and has a list of commands at the bottom of the screen. When you see the (up arrow)O or (up arrow)X it means to hit the control key and O or X at the same time to execute the command.
They look like this
^G Get Help ^O WriteOut ^R Read File ^Y Prev Page ^K Cut Text ^C Cur Pos
^X Exit ^J Justify ^W Where Is ^V Next Page ^U UnCut Txt ^T To Spell

This is one section you will need to edit. (Near the beginning.) Put a hash mark [ # ] before the Load "dri" part
Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "fbdevhw"
Load "record"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
Load "glx"
#Load "dri"
EndSection

This is another section of xorg.conf that you will need to edit
Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
#Driver "nv"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 4000 AGP 8x]"
Option "TwinView" "on"
Option "MetaModes" "1024x768,1024x768"
Option "RenderAccel" "true"
Option "NVAGP" "3"
Option "Xinerama" "on"
Option "Clone" "off"
EndSection
JUST the driver part for now. PLEASE.
Then write command and exit command.
When nano closes type in
startx and hit enter key
Hopefully this will get you graphical.
Bill
p.s. sorry about being so long winded.
B
NOTE: your video card is different than mine. DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING BUT THE DRIVER!!!!!

Last edited by b_martinez; 14th August 2006 at 03:36 PM. Reason: add warning
Old 14th August 2006, 04:06 PM
Firewing1 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooDK
Hi Linux-folks.

I am fairly new in the Linux world, and Fedora C5 is my first ambitious atempt to addapt, but it has been a bumby ride so far...

I finnaly succeded in installing yesterday after some strugglin with the installer, and then i wanted to run a yum upgrade - no problem there.

No the problem was when i rebooted - the new core (2.6.17-1.2139_FC5smp) was in a panic

http://www.foo-online.dk/P8130012.JPG

I could switch back to the old core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp) but after i tried installing drivers for my GFX yum install nvidia-graphics8762 the X application couldnt run either.

So my idea now is to make a clean install, but when i upgrade, how do i make the new kernel boot without getting in the same problem, and can i install the drivers for my GFX and have success there?

Thank you in advance, and thank you for your patience

foo`

PS: Please describe everything i have to do, because I am not that familliar with the linux term yet.
Are you using ATRPMS?
Old 14th August 2006, 04:08 PM
fooDK Offline

The Wait is no problem at all, just glad someone will help me

So, tried adding ACPI=0 in the bootloader, and actually had luck in loading Gnome... I could only load it in 640x480 or 800x600 - So i tried editing the xorg.conf file, but I don't seem to have that much luck with it - it still says it can't load the X server.

I installed the nvidiadriver in the 2054 kernel, and it is the kernel i am currently booting with, as the 2139 still won't work.
Old 14th August 2006, 04:21 PM
fooDK Offline

Firewing1 >> i have added ATrpms and freshrpms to the /etc/yum.repos.d directory
Old 14th August 2006, 04:30 PM
b_martinez Offline

You will have no luck with the nvidia driver for the 2054 kernel [LOOOOOONG STORY], just use the nv driver,
Go here
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...ates/5/x86_64/
and d/l and install the 2157 kernel
su -
[root's password]
rpm -ivh /path-to-new-kernel/kernel-name***.rpm
Bill
p.s.
don't use ATRPMS and FRESHRPMS together, One or the other, not both. See the software section and look at/read the 3rd sticky.
B
p.s. hi firewing
p.p.s.

Last edited by b_martinez; 14th August 2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 14th August 2006, 04:37 PM
fooDK Offline

The 2157 got installed with the nvidia driver, but i am not using an x64 processor, and it's not dualcore either...

I have tried booting the 2157 but with the same result as the 2139...
Old 14th August 2006, 04:52 PM
b_martinez Offline

quote"No the problem was when i rebooted - the new core (2.6.17-1.2139_FC5smp) was in a panic "end-quote
I mixed you up with someone else about the x86_64, my apologies.
unless you add the NOACPI or ACPI=0 line to /boot/grub/menu.lst, you will not have that option by default.
Boot into the 2157 ( ACPI=0) at runlevel 3, log in and su- then run nvidia-config or /sbin/nvidia-config
to set up the xorg.conf. acceleration will not be enabled, nor 3d , but it's a start.
Bill
Old 14th August 2006, 05:14 PM
Firewing1 Offline

Quote:
Firewing1 >> i have added ATrpms and freshrpms to the /etc/yum.repos.d directory
Have you read the warnings about ATRPMS? I highly disrecommend using their repos unless you know excatly which ones are safe.

Have you tried with the livna modules for nVidia?

Firewing1
Old 14th August 2006, 05:27 PM
fooDK Offline

ok, I must say that I am a bit more confused than when i started...

So I can boot with the 2157, which is a non smp or what? When i last tried to boot with the 2157, it sas also in a panic...

Damnit, it can be hard to start using Linux...
Old 14th August 2006, 09:53 PM
Firewing1 Offline

SMP kernel is simply the multi-core version of the kernel - It will take advantage of many cores or processors, such as Dual Core or HT Technology. If you don't run the SMP kernel, then even if you do have this HT tech. or dual core, it will only use one core effectively reducing your performance.

If you can boot, you can see the smp kernels installed with:
Code:
rpm -q kernel-smp
and for regular kernels:
Code:
rpm -q kernel
If you want to take advantage of HT and such, then do:
Code:
yum install kernel-smp
yum update kernel-smp
Otherwise, don't install the SMP version.

Firewing1
Old 15th August 2006, 07:00 AM
fooDK Offline

ok, well my processor does have HT, så the best for me would be a -smp kernel...

I am thinking about making a clean install, as this is beginning to confuse me bigtime, and if I do that, and update again to kernel 2139, then the way I se it, my problem will be the same, so how do I fix that kernel panic???

Right now, I donøt really care that much about the graphical interface - if I just could make the new kernel work...

foo`
Old 15th August 2006, 02:55 PM
Firewing1 Offline

Quote:
ok, well my processor does have HT, så the best for me would be a -smp kernel...

I am thinking about making a clean install, as this is beginning to confuse me bigtime, and if I do that, and update again to kernel 2139, then the way I se it, my problem will be the same, so how do I fix that kernel panic???

Right now, I donøt really care that much about the graphical interface - if I just could make the new kernel work...

foo`
I would try the clean install...
Firewing1

Tags
fedora, upgrading