Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th August 2006, 10:40 AM
thugpoet22 Offline

Cider might be the best solution to play Windows based games

I came across this article and i was would help current and future linux users who really enjoy playing games on their linux systems. Im quite the newbie nad dont quite understand the complete advantages of this new technology, but i do understand that it some how bridges the gap allowing multiple platforms to play windows games. I was wondering what others members might think about the future of linux gaming if it was in the hands of Cider.
Old 13th August 2006, 03:05 PM
mlavalle Offline

I believe Cider is a MacOS X solution that developers can use to port their products over from Windows easier. According to Transgaming's press release, if a developer uses their Cider technology it would also be able to play under Cedega. Cedega is a Wine-derivative available from the same company for Linux users, and that does allow you to play quite a few games.
Old 13th August 2006, 07:47 PM
thugpoet22 Offline

Linux and Mac's are both Unix based systems, so if one is ported cant it some how work for both.

Quote:
In the end, Mr. State noted, "what we would ultimately like to see is the vast majority of PC titles being launched as Windows/Mac or, better yet, Windows/Linux/Mac hybrids. We believe that users should be able to buy their games in whatever store they want, and play them on whatever platform they want."
I know that macs use their own proprietary libraries but it doesn't seems like a shot in the dark to port windows games for both macs and linux based systems since their all working off of x86 systems. I know linux desktops uses are few are far between and have a even less precentage than macs desktop users but Linux is really up and coming. Im wondering, with all the many distros, do you think it would harder for cider to be configured for linux. Im assuming not because Wine and Cedaga work on all of the distros (this is an assumption). I just wonder if this new technology is really trying to bridge a gap or make a new gaping hole. When i get my Macbook i hope to run Mac os, Windows xp and Fedora on the same system. It would be great if i could play a certain game regardless of which partitions i was using. Wouldn't it?
Old 22nd August 2006, 05:55 AM
Legomax Offline

i thought that Cider would only be for developers who make windows games compatible with Mac.
"The Constitution of the United States, for instance, is a marvelous document for self-government by the Christian people. But the minute you turn the document into the hands of non-Christian people and atheistic people they can use it to destroy the very foundation of our society. And that's what's been happening."
--Pat Robertson

Yes... it does make sense... somehow...

Tags
based, cider, games, play, solution, windows