Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th August 2006, 08:07 PM
EdwardA Offline

Installing FC5 with JMB361

Hi

I'm trying to install FC5 64 on a new machine containing a MSI 975x powerup mainboard, however my DVD drive can't be detected and I am prompted for a driver after selecting my installation media. The IDE controller my DVD drive is connected to is a JMicron JMB361, which isn't supported by fedora as yet. The hard drive I wish to install linux on is connected to the intel southbridge controller. (Connected on the JMircon Anaconda can't see the HD, which is worse ) Has anyone got a JMicron controller working? Can I use a generic driver from the list in anaconda, from the web or best of all a JMicron linux driver.

Any help would be greatly recieved
thanks Edward
Old 12th August 2006, 08:09 PM
debush Offline

I have the same problem with an ASUS P5B Deluxe WIFI Board. It uses a P965 chipset and a JBMicron JMB363 controller. I temporarily use an exteran USB DVD recorder to install. However of course, after the install you still cannot use the IDE DVD drive. Support for the JBMicron controllers is needed. Another problem is with the current BIOS and the 965 chipset on my ASUS MB, newer kernels (2.6.17.x) crash. A yum update installed a 2.6.127.x kernel. Also Fedora 6 Test 2 fails to boot..

I do not have any proper solutions at this time.

DEBush
Old 12th August 2006, 08:16 PM
diser Offline

Same story.
P5B Deluxe JMicron is not recognizeable by FC5 x32.
Old 12th August 2006, 08:45 PM
EdwardA Offline

I have a feeling this is going to be a problem for a lot of people over the coming months especially eith p695 having no native PATA support and these JMicron controllers seem to be flavour of the month with the MB manafactures. I got round it by doing a network install from a fedora mirror. Have updated the kernal to a 2.6.17 which should have support but have no idea how to get the DVD drive working now. Any suggestions?

ps If you got a conroe in your 965 its worth pursuing, Linux just flies
Old 17th August 2006, 07:08 AM
shonofear Offline

same problem here with my 965P-S3 with a E6300.

Tried to install SUSE 10.0

Just no detection of HD/cdrom.

Ive got a external HD and DVDrom, so i think this mite be the only option...for now anyhow
Old 18th August 2006, 10:28 PM
debush Offline

HI

I just found in Thread
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=120571

a solution to the IDE DVD/CD problem with the P965 chipset. The solution was posted by shonofear

If you add the parameter:
all-generic-ide
when booting., the the IDE DVD/CD drives are found and one can installed from the DVD in an installed IDE DVD/CDrom drive.

I just booted an existing kernel on the hard drive with this parameter and the dvd/cdrom drives were found, and using this parameter allows installing from the DVD with the installed IDE DV/CDRom drives installed in my computer.

I was about ready to buy a converter to allow connecting IDE drives to Sata ports from Newegg when I found the posting by shonofear in the thread referenced above.

I had been having problems withthe 2.6.17-1.xxxx kernels until I updated to 2.6.17-1.2174. Also it was necessary to set the AHCI mode in the bios.

Thanks to shonofear for posting the solution!!!

Shonofear also said that Andrew Morton told him that a fix is in 2.6.18-rc4

I havve an ASUS P5B Deluxe WIFi Mother board which uses the P965 chipset with a Pentium D950 as conroe's were not available when I bought the MB and CPU (should have waited a week or 2).
Again, thanks to shonofear for the posting.
Old 18th August 2006, 11:34 PM
shonofear Offline

haha

thanks for your help

by the way i am shonofear .... hehe

glad to hear you got it figured, im still having issues.

question for you,
When do you get the chance to type the parameter...
Im lost.
I am also trying to install from a SATA drive using the intel ICH8 controller which may be my problem also.
I could try using an old IDE HD which can also connect to my dvdrom.
I ended up tryin to install from an external SATA HD which already haad my windows on it.
All was sweet untill i was partioning the drives.
I put the swap after WINDOWS, 2 gig
the the / partion after that, 8gig.
I got the message saying that my BIOS dosent recommend installing after the 1024 cylinder.
Well i ignored that and had errors when installing the bootloader further down the track....

so are you using an IDE HD?
and is your windows on this same HD?
are you using any SATA HD's?
thanks mate
Old 19th August 2006, 12:37 AM
debush Offline

HI shonofear

I am using 3 Sata hard drives and an IDE DVD+-RW.

IF you are installing from the DVD, and can initally get the Install screen upon booting the computer, with the DVD, then enter

linux all-generic-ide

at the prompt
" boot:"

then press enter.
ie.
boot: linux all-generic-ide

If you already have Fedora installed on the hard drive you can modify the file
/boot/grub/grub.conf

add the parameter "all-generic-ide" to the line
keneral vmlinuz *************
heres an example of the appropiate section of grub..conf
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

title Fedora Core (2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp)
root (hd2,4)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp ro root=LABEL=/ all-generic-ide rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp)
root (hd2,4)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp ro root=LABEL=/ all-generic-ide rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp.img

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

save the file and reboot
and the IDE DVD drive is available

also if Fedora is installed you can press enter or escape as soon as you see "Booting Fedora ...."
then highlight the kenel you want to boot with using the up/down arrow keys (the kernel lines looks like :
Fedora Core (2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp)

then press the letter "a" key
and then you can add the parameter all--generic-ide to the end of the line and press enter.
Upon booting you should then be able to access your ide dvd/cdrom drive.

To make it work on every boot modify the
/boot/grub/grub.conf file as shown in the example above.

I hope this helps you

The kernel on the DVD installs fine but if you do a yum update you will get a newer kernel - currently 2.6.17-1.2174-FC5smp kernel and then the mother board bios mode for the hard drives must be set to AHCI (this is not necessary for the 2.6-1.15.xxxx kernels)

I had previously installed using an external USB DVD drive.

The above is for installing Fedora, I currnetly am not useing Suse, but it should be almost the same as for Fedora.

debush

Last edited by debush; 19th August 2006 at 02:11 AM.
Old 19th August 2006, 08:16 AM
shonofear Offline

no such luck here.
I got to the Boot: screen, typed in all-generic-ide
started installing.......
get to the same part and says theres no CD/HD.....

I am using the Gigabyte GA-965P-S3, using 1 SATA HD connected to the default Intel SATA port (ICH8)
and 1 dvdrom connected to the IDE port.

DAMN it... i am trying to install SUSE 10.0 (kernel 2.6.13-15 default)

maybe its just this Version not working.......

well, i could either wait for a new version of Federo 6.... whens this due, which might work out of the box.
Or i can installin on my SATA HD from my other computer, then plug back into my new PC and hope fore the best....

Wats the best option for me?

I really want to get Federo.....should i wait

cheers
Old 19th August 2006, 08:15 PM
debush Offline

Hello shonofear:

I beleive that you will not be able to use your IDE DVD/CD drive to install SUSE 10.0. The kernel is not new enoough and does not recognize the parameter all-generic-idee.

To test this I downloaded the 1'st CD (DVD would have taken too much time for just testing). Then I burnt a CD and tried to boot from it with the parameter all-generic-ide. After loading the kernel, the ide DVD/CD drives were not recoginized. I beleive you will need a newer kernel.

DId you ever try Fedora 5.. It should l work, also I think OpenSuse 10.1 might. I know that ide dvd will not work with my ASUS motherboard with the P965 Intel chipset usinf Fedora 4 (the kernel is tooo old and does use the parameter all-generic-ide.

SO you need to try downloading Fedora 5 or OpenSUse 10.1 and try to install them or else borrow aan external USB DVD drive from someone and then you could install SUse10, but the ide dvd/cd would still not work with the 10.0 distribution kernel.

debush
Old 20th August 2006, 01:17 AM
shonofear Offline

hay,
thanks for doin that for me, testin SUSE 10
your a champ
ok, ive decided to go for FEDERO.
But i was wondering if its worth goin for the ver 6 test 2
or i can wait for the actual release for October, im in no massive hurry.

Once again, cheers
Old 20th August 2006, 01:36 AM
debush Offline

HI again:

I have not been able to get Fedora version 6 Test 2 working at all, even by trying to install with an external USB DVD drive. I expect the next Test verion may work with the P965 vhipd set and the JMicrom IDE . I have been able to download a development kernel and install it on Fedora 5 and it booted fine, but I had trouble in getting Cwindows working , and I quit before I got the XWindows going with that kernel. I gave on on Fedora6 Test 2 as I could not get it to boot at all.

For now I am going to stick with Fedora 5. I did get the lastest update release to Kubuntu to boot and install.
ANd I think that OpenSUse 10.1 willwork. Last week I downloaded OpenSuse latest test vesion of Linux, and it failed to boot on two computers (one being the ASUS with the P965 chipset). I may have had a bad download, but I did not persue the problem.

Good Luck.

debush
Old 24th August 2006, 04:41 AM
apg88 Offline

I'm having the same problem with an Abit AB9 Pro.
The all-generic-ide doesn't work.
I decided to install from NFS (I don't care if I don't have CD drive in fedora) but when I tell it to use NFS it asks me for drivers again!
It has two Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC's but they also don't seem to work.
I have run out of ideas :-/
Any help?
Old 24th August 2006, 01:41 PM
mzhao Offline

Just would like to report. I am using ASUS P5B. NEC DVD RAM IDE connection.
boot: linux all-generic-ide
works perfectly and I have finished the installation.
Old 30th August 2006, 08:51 AM
juanlu Offline

Thank you very much. That have been the solution for me.

I've a FC3 server over P5B motherboard, with two SATA hds and and IDE dvd-rw. My problem was the same: linux couldn't detect the IDE dvd-rw.

I've append the "all-generic-ide" parameter to grub.conf and ... ok and running.

Thanks again :-)

Tags
fc5, installing, jmb361