Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th August 2006, 09:11 PM
cooch17 Offline

screensavers, screen lock not working | FC5

Greetings -

Although at one point, both screensavers and screen lock were working (screensavers for everyone, screen lock for everyone but root), now, neither is working for any user. Screensavers are not coming up after the idle time has passed (I set it to 1 minute to check), and screen lock does not work - either from the 'System' menu, or when the screensaver is supposed to come on (there is an option box on the screensaver config menu whihc lets you turn screen lock on/off).

While this isn't a 'mission critical' problem, it is puzzling, and somewhat worrisome whenever something that *was* working is no longer working.

Any suggestions on where to look? What to try?

Thanks...
Old 8th August 2006, 01:38 AM
cooch17 Offline

soultion | gnome-screensavers is culprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch17
Greetings -

Although at one point, both screensavers and screen lock were working (screensavers for everyone, screen lock for everyone but root), now, neither is working for any user. Screensavers are not coming up after the idle time has passed (I set it to 1 minute to check), and screen lock does not work - either from the 'System' menu, or when the screensaver is supposed to come on (there is an option box on the screensaver config menu whihc lets you turn screen lock on/off).

While this isn't a 'mission critical' problem, it is puzzling, and somewhat worrisome whenever something that *was* working is no longer working.

Any suggestions on where to look? What to try?

Thanks...

I uninstalled gnome-screensavers, taking me back to basic X11, GL-based savers that come with FC5, and everything works - savers, lock. As soon as I install gnome-screensavers, nada.

Oh well, I can live without gnome-screensavers

Tags
fc5, lock, screen, screensavers, working