Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd August 2006, 01:23 PM
Nostrafus Offline

What do you look for in a game?

Okay, so I'm getting started on programming a game, I already have more than a few ideas, but I wanted to take a Poll/Questionaire to get different opinions of what people look for in a game since this is more for the Linux gaming community than for myself.

1. What are your top 5 games (of any system) and why do you like them (please add details, and if it's an obscure game, please provide a link)? (IE: Clean interface, multiple campaigns, tech trees, ease of use)

2. What do you look for in a game? (IE: Button Mashing, Intense Action, Story Depth, Immersion)

3. What type of graphics do you prefer in a game? (IE: Latest and greatest in intensity (I'm pretty sure I won't be able to deliver on this one), Cell Shading (XIII), 3d, artificial 3d (see Starcraft, C&C, Warcraft I & II) 2d Sprites)

4. What is your favorite Genre? (Real Time Strategy, Turn Based Strategy, Action, Adventure, Role Playing, Simulation, Sports, Puzzles, Board Games)

Registered Linux User #423286

Last edited by Nostrafus; 2nd August 2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old 2nd August 2006, 05:52 PM
Invader02 Offline

1. I don't really have any favorites...

2. I hate button mashing (although i'm good at it :P). Intense Action matters more in non-strategy games. Story Depth, and Immersion are pretty much always required for a good game. If you make it an RTS or TBS, a map editor is one of the first things I look for. 'Course that's not the same for everybody though.

3. Cell shading was used in Zelda:The Windwakers. Cartoonish looks are okay for games that need it (can't have a game where there's blood everywhere and people being stabbed to death with cell shading :P). I think 3d is pretty standard with good games these days. Artificial 3d is ok as long as the camera angle is ok.

4. Personally, mine is Real Time Strategy, followed by First Person Shooter, followed by Real Time Strategy Shooter (look up "Savage" in google)
Old 2nd August 2006, 06:25 PM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hello:
1. I like UT2004 and COD2 ... after that....dunno, I am a limited person

2. Shooting and I guess more shooting (boring but what the heck)

3. Whatever looks the best ...lame response I know

4. FPS, Strategy

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 2nd August 2006, 09:42 PM
Linux The Great Offline

a. X-wing ---- it didn't seem to matter how many times you played it, anything could always happen.
b. Civilization 2 ---- It was a relaxed strategy game.... required a lot of planning
c. Age of Empires Series ---- It's a tense strategy. While it was terribly predictable, it was still fun crushing your enemy.
d. Sim City Series ---- Required planning but also had an element of being able to control everything.

2. The thing I look for is being able to easily play the game. I don't like to get bogged down in trying to learn a ton of things just to be able to make it around the game. I guess what I'm trying to say is make it intuitive to play.

3. Graphics aren't a real hang up for me initially. I will say however that your game will have a longer play life with me if the graphics improve on each release. Right now I'm messing around with Xscorch. Not impressive graphics but the potential is there.

4. My favorite is real-time strategy, but I also like shooters, and flight/space simulators. I absolutely can't stand role-playing-games. You sit there for hours "making your character", and then you walk around 100 levels (more like mazes) collecting items and "leveling up". Then you spend more hours "remaking your character" with his new skills. The only role-playing-games I've been able to tolerate were Super Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog.
In the distance there's a Vista to view.
So, use something other.
Don't be a slave to big brother.
Get Linux, and you'll never see blue.
Old 2nd August 2006, 10:05 PM
sgware Offline

1. a. The Secret of Monkey Island
b. X-Wing also
c. Starcraft
d. Secret of Mana

2. I look for originality first and foremost. I tend to dislike games when you can play then and say, "Oh, this game is just like some other game..."

3. I'm oldschool when it comes to graphics. I like 16 x 16 pixil sprites. I also like the fo-3d in games like Starcraft. Pixil graphics design is an art, so I really appreciate it when someone can render a game in something so limited, yet produce a game that feels so immersive.

4. My favorite genera is probably adventure games (Secret of Monkey Island, Loom, Day of the Tentacle, King's Quest, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Manic Mansion, Peasant's Quest, etc...).

Good luck with you game.
Old 2nd August 2006, 11:15 PM
Flounder Offline

Well this information is void for me now but when I used to play games...

1: a. Eve Online
b. Battlefield 1942
c. Americas Army
d. True Combat Elite mod for Enemy Territory

2: I wanted to play in a massive universe where anything and everything could be done. Where I could take an RPG blow a hole in a while and flank the enemy, or build defenses such as makeshift walls or dig trenches, and be able to climb into a vehicle and go. Also I wanted weapons selection instead of getting fixed weapons for a class, and great realism.

3: Best if possible but gameplay outweighs how much I care about the graphics.

4: A mix of first person shooter with MMO is probably what I'd like best.
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:02 AM
Linux The Great Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux The Great
I absolutely can't stand role-playing-games.

WAIT!!! What have I said??? Make Leisure Suit Larry for Linux!
In the distance there's a Vista to view.
So, use something other.
Don't be a slave to big brother.
Get Linux, and you'll never see blue.
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:10 AM
mlavalle Offline

1. TOP 5 GAMES:

a. Commander Keen (DOS). Fun side-scrolling game that has a great story and atmosphere. The levels were challenging and the puzzles engaging. The only reason I don't play it any more is because I have long since lost my diskettes. http://www.3drealms.com/keen4/
b. Dark Age of Camelot (Windows). Great MMORPG, I keep coming back to it. Great visuals and their player vs player combat and siege warfare system are the best I have seen so far. Runs great under Linux. http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/
c. Doom 3 (Linux). I scream like a little girl when I play this game. Story is simple, but the atmosphere is fantastic. Other than the humans, the design of all the monsters is fantastic. http://www.doom3.com/
d. Duke Nukem 3D (DOS). Again, this game has a great and fun atmosphere. It's consistent "world" and style of play make immersion easy and the attitude of the main character is hilarious. A very memorable game.
e. Prey (Windows). A recent game, but I have fallen in love with it. Although not funny like Duke or scary like Doom, there is something about the atmosphere of this game that pulls me in. As with the others, it's the consistency of the game and the UI that really impresses me.

2. WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR IN A GAME?

I would have to say immersion, story and enjoyment. Good graphics and sound are important, but they don't have to be "state of the art". They just have to be good. For example, Commander Keen is fifteen years old but I still find the graphics to be "good".

3. WHAT TYPE OF GRAPHICS DO YOU PREFER IN A GAME?

I find a new game has to have graphics near or almost as good as the latest games for me to enjoy it.

4. FAVOURITE GENRE

You might not be able to tell from the list above, but I really enjoy side-scrolling platform games like Keen or Mario. SuperTux, for example, is one I'm watching... right now it has decent graphics but there's nothing "to" it. Not enough variety of bad guys, not enough things to do (ie Keen riding Nessie or the giant foot, or Mario crawling down secret passages).
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:18 AM
jsdewey Offline

1. (not in any specific order)
1. America's Army - The realism concept really makes it unique, as it is done so well and I can't jump from the top of a cliff to the bottom and survive.
2. Halo 2 - Large multiplayer capabilties.
3. Counter Strike: Source - Many weapons to choose from, and they're similar to real life.
4. Half-Life 2 - Storyline is great, challenging, and some unique ideads (i.e. gravity gun).
5. Age of Empires series - Addicitive

2. A nice story line, and nice graphics.

3. I like 3d games myself. The kind where you can see all different sides of the character or other charaters (i.e. Looking around in an FPS)

4. First Person Shooters, though Real Time Stratagy is very close.
Old 3rd August 2006, 03:00 AM
Nostrafus Offline

Quote:
WAIT!!! What have I said??? Make Leisure Suit Larry for Linux!
heh, although they were funny games, no... as sgware pointed out, I want to maintain an originality to my game... however I want an opinion on what type of game was most popular (I have ideas for just about everything except a "new" puzzle game) and why people are drawn to certain games. Not only that, but if people really are only drawn to games that are flashy with little playability, or are more geared toward games with hours upon hours of replay time.

Old 3rd August 2006, 03:15 AM
Firewing1 Offline

Well, first of all I'd like to say I haven't played many FPS games or any recent games, for that matter... BUT....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrafus
1. What are your top 5 games (of any system) and why do you like them (please add details, and if it's an obscure game, please provide a link)? (IE: Clean interface, multiple campaigns, tech trees, ease of use)
1. Warcraft III: Awsesome custom games.
2. Diablo II: I like the patience needed, and the strategy of it. Just the differnt approches you can take to beating the game.
3. Starcraft: One of the first good video games I played, it's just stuck with me.
4. Roller Coaster Tycoon 3: Well, the 3D ride (I think it's called coaster cam? I haven't played in a year or two...) view is pretty neat, and it's just fun to crash your rides, too
5. Freeciv: Simple interface, but really cool game!

Quote:
2. What do you look for in a game? (IE: Button Mashing, Intense Action, Story Depth, Immersion)
Story depth for sure, but what's really needed to make it captivating is interesting campaigns that integrate very nicely with the story, and also strategy. Action is fun, but it get boring after a while. There definetly needs to be a balance of actions and storyline.

Quote:
3. What type of graphics do you prefer in a game? (IE: Latest and greatest in intensity (I'm pretty sure I won't be able to deliver on this one), Cell Shading (XIII), 3d, artificial 3d (see Starcraft, C&C, Warcraft I & II) 2d Sprites)
Doesn't matter, as long as it looks nice. Warcraft III / Diablo is a good reference point. A good game is worth it, even if the graphics suck, but really nice (3D) graphics are a BIG bonus points!

Quote:
4. What is your favorite Genre? (Real Time Strategy, Turn Based Strategy, Action, Adventure, Role Playing, Simulation, Sports, Puzzles, Board Games)
Real or turn based time strategy, RPG, FPS.

Good luck on the game! Let us know when the beta's out, I'd be glad to test it for you.

Firewing1
Old 3rd August 2006, 04:10 AM
Invader02 Offline

I'd be happy to alpha/beta test as well.

It seems that everybody's favorite genre is either RTS or FPS. Not much for anything else.

Quote:
4: A mix of first person shooter with MMO is probably what I'd like best.
the FPS side of Savage is close to that. Only things missing are weapons/armor and the ability to keep your levels/money...
Old 3rd August 2006, 04:22 AM
rappermas Offline

Quote:
Okay, so I'm getting started on programming a game, I already have more than a few ideas, but I wanted to take a Poll/Questionaire to get different opinions of what people look for in a game since this is more for the Linux gaming community than for myself.

I love FPS. Half-Life 2 has recently captivated my heart. The storyline, characters, and graphics are all so realistic. Story depth is very important.

Need some help with OpenGL?

VALOR:
HP Pavilion, Intel Pentium IV 3.2 GHz HT, 1 GB Corsair, nVIDIA Quadro FX 1100 (128 MB), SB Live!, HP 16X DVD-Writer 400i, 16X DVD-ROM

HPPAV:
HP Pavilion 8766C, Intel Pentium III 900 MHz, 640 MB PC-100 SDRAM (3 DIMMs), nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 (256 MB), ESS Maestro 2E, HP CD-Writer Plus (CD-RW 4X), Hitachi 8X DVD-ROM
Old 3rd August 2006, 04:48 PM
Nostrafus Offline

Hmmm, so it seems the notes I took on why people are drawn to certain types of games before this were pretty accurate.

Most likely I'll be sticking with my turn based strategy, it's a space combat/empire building game. I got the idea after playing Galactic Civilizations II.

The thing is, I didn't like how they made it. The races were pretty generic, The UI wasn't that great, the scaling of the ships/planets/stars was way off (a scout ship was the size of a small planet), There wasn't much storyline, the campaigns weren't that good, the combat was just number crunching, there wasn't any kind of strategy involved, there weren't any resources other than currency, which in turn made trading almost worthless, there wasn't much of a conceivable time scale. And worst of all, being a turn based strategy they missed out on one of the best parts of a TBS, hotseat multiplayer.

So I decided I'd go with a turn based strategy that had more strategy other than just number crunching in combat, had one good campaign for each race, the planet/star/ship scale was fairly accurate (IE: Stars would be about the size of a dime, planets would be very small, and ships would be almost dots until you entered combat), the UI was better laid out, there actually were resources that you could mine/collect, trade would be based on which star systems needed what resources, there was something of a timeframe, and had hotseat multiplayer.

Old 4th August 2006, 02:46 AM
Invader02 Offline

Quote:
The thing is, I didn't like how they made it. The races were pretty generic, The UI wasn't that great, the scaling of the ships/planets/stars was way off (a scout ship was the size of a small planet), There wasn't much storyline, the campaigns weren't that good, the combat was just number crunching, there wasn't any kind of strategy involved, there weren't any resources other than currency, which in turn made trading almost worthless, there wasn't much of a conceivable time scale. And worst of all, being a turn based strategy they missed out on one of the best parts of a TBS, hotseat multiplayer.
How'd it get an 8.7 on IGN if it's like that? http://pc.ign.com/objects/724/724223.html

BTW multiplayer is the best part of EVERY game :P.

Tags
game