Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st July 2006, 09:27 PM
lazlow Offline

Where are used parts?

Hey Guys

Considering that most of us upgrade much more often than we need to, where are all the used parts going? You see some on ebay and the like but not even 10% of what has to be out there. An example would be that I am looking to get into the wireless world, none of the local shops have anything used in wireless. No routers, no wireless pci cards, no wireless usb, no pcmia (sp?). I can find memory, keyboards, nics, cases, powersupplies, mice, Hd, floppies, cpus, fans,and every cable imaginable. When compusa found a wharehouse that they had forgotten about I did get a "new" linksys wireless B router for $20. Other than that I have had the best luck just hitting garage sales. Some of the stuff I am just curious to play with (rip apart and look inside) others I would like to hack into something more than it started out as. Any suggestion would be appreciated (eg where to look).

Thanks
Lazlow
Old 31st July 2006, 10:50 PM
pparks1 Offline

Unfortunately so many parts are onboard these days that we don't get rid of near as much. Plus, each time I upgrade my main machine, everything else trickles down...so the only thing popping out at the end is an old 300mhz computer, with a 2gb hard drive, 128MB of RAM and a 10mb NIC.
Registered Linux User #375155 For More Info or to register yourself

My Linux box is:
Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..
Old 31st July 2006, 10:58 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

I don't even want to think about how much turnover and cashflow you have to have in order to "lose" a warehouse!

EDIT: Come to think of it, I wouldn't want to be the guy who "lost" the paperwork on it either!

Moving is always a good way to clean house. After a 3X4X2ft box of old mobos, ISA cards, PCI cards, 8 meg AGP video cards and other assorted stuff went a'begging at three yard sales, they all went to live in the landfill. I couldn't even give that stuff away! But I've still got some 72 pin memory if you want it. Send an SASE to...

Dan

Last edited by TangledWeb; 31st July 2006 at 11:24 PM.
Old 1st August 2006, 02:46 AM
lazlow Offline

Thanks Dan I kinda needed that.

With landfill requirement the way they are now, do you suppose that they have to sort out that kind of stuff?

lazlow
Old 1st August 2006, 03:40 AM
Flounder Offline

I think most of us end up salvaging the stuff and using it in different boxes.
Old 1st August 2006, 03:44 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

No takers on the 1 meg mem sticks? Rats!

They're just starting to get picky in the landfills here in Eastern Colorado. Back in Southern New Mexico they've been sorting out electronics for the last several years. But the EPA nailed several counties for broken regulations and a polluted water table 5-6 years ago. Might have motivated them some.

We got a good sized donation from a local mining company for our Cadet Program three years ago, and were quite properly grateful. But when they were delivered, I had to sign a release stating the CPUs and Monitors would not be sent to a NM landfill.

I've noticed several stories on the web about restrictions regarding computer gear in landfills are getting serious in Europe too. Perhaps some of our European members could shed some light on that for us?

Any way, I think wireless gear is probably still too new to show up in yard sales yet. But as wireless speeds get faster, or the RF bands shift, I suspect it won't be long before the"11b" level gear starts going the way of the ISA Sound Blaster.

EDIT:

Evening Flounder, pparks1.

Flounder, I think you're right! And a good thing too. Some of the older stuff does right well in Linux.

pparks1,
Quote:
so the only thing popping out at the end is an old 300mhz computer, with a 2gb hard drive, 128MB of RAM and a 10mb NIC.
You too huh? I'll see your 300Mhz boat anchor... and I'll raise you a 486DX2 66Mhz Dinosaur.

Dan

Last edited by TangledWeb; 1st August 2006 at 04:03 AM.
Old 1st August 2006, 04:15 AM
pparks1 Offline

Yeah, within the past year I threw away 2 486 sx25's and a 486 dx4 100.
Registered Linux User #375155 For More Info or to register yourself

My Linux box is:
Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..
Old 1st August 2006, 04:23 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Ayup. When I cleaned out the shop I set the arbitrary toss-it limit at "anything with a Turbo switch!" Never understood the use of the term, until I mounted up a Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SCSI. I had to wear earplugs when I booted that bit-bucket!

Back to your question lazlow,

It probably wouldn't hurt to call the local waste disposal office and ask if they do separate that stuff out yet, and if they do, could you maybe paw through it.

I know a lot of salvagers try to snag the monitors and old PC cards in hopes of gleaning precious metals from the traces and connector pads, so there may not be much left after the scavengers get through.

And at the current cost of copper, it may prove profitable.

Dan

Last edited by TangledWeb; 1st August 2006 at 05:29 AM.
Old 1st August 2006, 06:10 AM
Nostrafus Offline

I know I usually do the "hand me down" thing where I slap the good components into an older system, this usually happens when something in my old system breaks, then I buy a better part for my newest system then swap it out and toss the broken part.

I also know a few people who salvage stuff. My co-worker just picked up a brand new tower (literally it was only a few months old) the person who put it on the street didn't have the graphics drivers installed and figured it was broken so they threw it out.

I'd say just don't pass up anything that may come your way, even if it is "broken" at least test it first, or see if you can grab anything out of it...

[EDIT]

On a side note one place you may want to check are colleges... they usually have to upgrade every few years to keep up with modern business/graphics needs, make friends with one of the IT teachers and find out when they're going to toss their supplies. They'll usually sell them to you pretty cheap. (This is probably one of the better ways as most reputable colleges will swap out hardware every 2 years to keep up with modern technology, granted it's not a fast way by far, but it may work)

Also "dumpster diving" at retail technology stores... boxes can get damaged in shipping, and may be broken, sometimes when a company stops producing a product, the store can't "damage it out" (Return it to the company as damaged goods for a replacement) and they just throw it out... it may be mostly functional, and they can't sell it, so throwing it away is the only option.

Also there are a few places online (I think freecycle is one of them) where people post stuff they're tossing... these aren't specifically computer components... they range from furiture, to tech, to vehicles... but you may be able to pick up a good box that just needs a few parts.

Store Remodels... here's another way to grab up some parts... not always in the best condition, but beggars can't be choosers... when stores get remodeled, usually a company co-incides it with replacement of computers/servers/etc, it makes it easier to run lines/swap out large components when the store is temporarily closed, or the extra interruption won't really be noticed. Granted a good bit are leased, but you may get extremely lucky and find a perfectly good server (no I haven't myself... I was drooling when the store I work at got remodeled hoping they didn't lease the servers... but they did... )

Registered Linux User #423286

Last edited by Nostrafus; 1st August 2006 at 06:23 AM.
Old 1st August 2006, 01:19 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

all the old stuff ends up in my garage! I suppose most of us are packrats that cant stand the thought of throwing anything away. In fact, I too have found some great deals at garage sales and flea markets. Working computers and monitors for under $10! How do you walk away from that even if you dont need it? If Fl they have been seperating things at landfills for years. And there is usually quite a crowd of people hanging out by the electronics bin. Those rare earth magnets in hard drives are cool too! Rule of thumb though, if it is being thrown out chances are it's totally fried. For working used parts your best bet are flea markets. Unfortunatly you usually cant test what you are buying, but the prices reflect that. If you happen to luck out and stumble on a wireless router it will probably be around $5!
Old 2nd August 2006, 10:08 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Hi JN4

Quote:
all the old stuff ends up in my garage! I suppose most of us are packrats that cant stand the thought of throwing anything away.
Yeah. I think it's a disease. I know I'm moving in the next six months, and I still picked up three Dell boat anchors last month. Couldn't tell what they were until I got 'em home.

Anybody want a good used Dell Opti-plex 486 DX-25... Or a 486-Dx2-100... or a Pentium 1... I'll toss in some memory...
Old 2nd August 2006, 11:45 PM
rappermas Offline

Lol. I recently gave away my old AST (what were the specs?). You know AST went out of business so many years ago. It was, I think...hmmm...might have been around 50 Mhz processor with 8 Megs of Ram... I'll tell you though, it ran solitaire and it did its job.

Here's an idea. I think I'll go to a flea market (as per JN4OldSchool's suggestion) and pick up 10 boxes that are kinda old. You know, run a web server on one, ftp on the other, then sendmail, use one for programming... It's probably way cheaper than running everything on one really pricey box.

VALOR:
HP Pavilion, Intel Pentium IV 3.2 GHz HT, 1 GB Corsair, nVIDIA Quadro FX 1100 (128 MB), SB Live!, HP 16X DVD-Writer 400i, 16X DVD-ROM

HPPAV:
HP Pavilion 8766C, Intel Pentium III 900 MHz, 640 MB PC-100 SDRAM (3 DIMMs), nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 (256 MB), ESS Maestro 2E, HP CD-Writer Plus (CD-RW 4X), Hitachi 8X DVD-ROM
Old 2nd August 2006, 11:59 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Quote:
It's probably way cheaper than running everything on one really pricey box.
Ha! You're probably right... until you factor in the extra real estate, air conditioning, power bills, earplugs, etc.

The first machine I used in my office was an AST. A 486DX-66 I think. DOS 6.22/Win 3.1 was loaded stock, but I shoe-horned Win 98 into it at the end of warranty. Talk about driver troubles! It finally died of a power supply failure. Couldn't bring myself to fix it. Just wrote up a P.O. for a new Dell Latitude P-3 Win 2K laptop.
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:28 AM
rappermas Offline

Real Estate - All you need is a spare room
Air Conditioning - Yeah, oh well, can't be all bad
Power Bills - the oven (when self-cleaning) uses more energy in a couple of hours than a 100 computers in a week
Earplugs - But they come in cool colors now, and they're sqooshy!

LOL. It's not a bad idea.

VALOR:
HP Pavilion, Intel Pentium IV 3.2 GHz HT, 1 GB Corsair, nVIDIA Quadro FX 1100 (128 MB), SB Live!, HP 16X DVD-Writer 400i, 16X DVD-ROM

HPPAV:
HP Pavilion 8766C, Intel Pentium III 900 MHz, 640 MB PC-100 SDRAM (3 DIMMs), nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 (256 MB), ESS Maestro 2E, HP CD-Writer Plus (CD-RW 4X), Hitachi 8X DVD-ROM
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:32 AM
lazlow Offline

What you pay for in air conditioning now you save in heat bills come winter.

lazlow