Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th July 2006, 02:04 AM
yanks6rule Offline

Dell Inspiron 8600 Will not wake up

Hello Everyone,

I am rather new to the fedora and I have almost everything working except for the wakeup function. When I close my laptop lid the computer does indeed go into suspend mode, but when I go to wake it up I get a white screen with random colored lines appearing over time. Everytime this happens I have to reboot the machine. I have tried adding scripts to my /etc/acpi/events, I have checked my video driver in the xorg.conf and the driver is radeon and the vendor is ATI technologies.

I am probably just missing something, but if someone can help that would be great.

Thanks
Old 18th July 2006, 07:49 AM
Nostrafus Offline

Yeah, wakeup is pretty bugged on most laptops at the moment, the only thing you can do is try to keep it from going into sleep/suspend mode... ACPI is still in it's test phase, and it's not working for most people.

If you're running KDE, check your power management by right clicking the KLaptop (Power Manager) icon next to your clock, then click Configure KLaptop, then go to the ACPI Config tab and see if the "Enable Suspend" checkbox is checked, if it is, uncheck it.

If you're running Gnome... no idea... sorry...

Registered Linux User #423286
Old 18th July 2006, 01:42 PM
yanks6rule Offline

Unfourtanately I am running Gnome and I have tried using the power management but it just does not seem to want to wake up at all.

Preventing it from going into suspend seems to overheat my computer and I am trying to prevent that as well as prevent turning it off everytime I want to close the lid for a few hours.

Thanks
Old 19th July 2006, 01:07 AM
newfc2user Offline

yanks6rule,

You mentioned adding scripts to /etc/acpi/events. The scripts should really go in /etc/acpi/actions.

As a test, could you switch to console 1 (by pressing Ctl-Alt-F1), log in as root, type "vbetool post". But DON'T press Enter. Now suspend the laptop by closing the lid. Open the lid to resume, you will predictably get the messed up display. Now press Ctl-Atl-F1 again, and NOW press Enter. Hopefully, your display is restored. If it works, you can add the line to your scripts.

Tags
8600, dell, inspiron, wake