Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th July 2006, 09:06 PM
fromans4 Offline

Question ALSA kernel modules?

I am running FC4 using kernel 2.6.16-1.2115. As a rule I wait to do a kernel upgrade untill all of the drivers I am using that have kernel modules have a version that matches the new kernel.

So far though, none of the kernels 2.6.17... have had an ALSA kernel module released to match them. As far as I can tell, there have been at least three kernels released in the 2.6.17 genre and ALSA has not released a kernel module for any of them???

Can anyone tell me whats up? Does ALSA no longer need a kernel module?

Brent
Old 8th July 2006, 09:47 PM
Brian1 Offline

Not a user of precompiled kernels or modules but I would think ALSA would be built into the precompiled rpm kernel rpms that are released. Alsa is part of the kernel itself. Install the new kernel and see if sound works fine. My only thought is maybe your hardware may not be part of the main stream.

Brian1
Old 8th July 2006, 10:09 PM
fromans4 Offline

I am using a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 card.

The ALSA kernel modules have always been there till now?

I think I will try the new kernel though, just to see what happens. For the moment I still have to wait on LIRC and ivtv kernel modules . Kernel 2141 was just released and they have not had a chance to catch up. It usually doesn't take them more then a few days though, unless there is a problem found with the kernel.

Brent
Old 9th July 2006, 12:12 AM
Jongi Offline

Never had problem with ALSA when updating the kernels

Tags
alsa, kernel, modules