FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Bassman449 Guest

    Side Buttons on Logitech MX310

    I have been searching for several days trying to figure out how to make my side buttons work with Fedora Core 5. I have tried editing xorg.conf and mouse.sh to show a 7 button mouse with no sucess. I used xev to check and it shows my wheel as buttons 4 and 5 and the side buttons as 8 and 9. None of the buttons register as 6 and 7 and I don't have any clue why. I'm fairly inexperienced with Linux but would like to get rid of Windows, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Seymour, Indiana
    Posts
    2,509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out this link I think what you are after is using the xmodmap command.
    http://www.glaurung.demon.co.uk/info...500.howto.html

    Not sure howto structure the command but search here for xmodmap pointer and also on google as well.

    Brian1
    Distribution: RHEL 5.1 with Pieces of this and that.
    Kernel 2.6.23.9, KDE 3.5.8 and KDE 4.0 beta, Plus Development src.rpm, ATI fglrx64_7_1_0-8.433-1 rpm with 3D and DRI working.
    Acer 5100-5840 with webcam, ati, sdcard reader, sound, atheros based wireless, all working. Only thing not working is the memory stick reader.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Westland, Michigan
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have that same mouse and this is what I did.

    modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf to match this
    scroll wheel and forward and back buttons should work

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Buttons" "10"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7 8 9 10 4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
    Option "Resolution" "800"
    Option "SampleRate" "800"
    EndSection
    RHCE and MCSE systems administrator
    Registered Linux User #375155 For More Info or to register yourself

    My Linux box is:
    Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..

  4. #4
    Bassman449 Guest
    That worked perfectly. Just out of curiousity why exactly does it show 10 or 11 buttons? I didn't understand that aspect but I am glad it worked. Thank you.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Nanoose Bay, B.C. Canada
    Age
    86
    Posts
    264
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that. I did a search on the MX310 and voila; you solved my little mouse problem. I wonder if this same code will work in other distros.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Westland, Michigan
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as an FYI: It does work in Fedora 7
    RHCE and MCSE systems administrator
    Registered Linux User #375155 For More Info or to register yourself

    My Linux box is:
    Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 19th August 2009, 05:34 PM
  2. side buttons on tc1100
    By vertigo88x in forum Hardware
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th November 2008, 11:30 PM
  3. Can't use mouse side buttons in FC6
    By Mystinar in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 5th November 2006, 05:39 AM
  4. FC5 - FireFox Side Buttons
    By BoSoxNC in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 6th April 2006, 04:39 AM
  5. Side buttons in nautilus and epiphany
    By DGF in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22nd October 2005, 02:49 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •