Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th April 2004, 09:43 PM
Jeremy Ross Offline

Problems opening windows.

I have just updated Fedora to Core2 Test 2. The only problem I am having is that I have a problem opening programs under my own username. If I login as root I can get all the programs to open normal. However as my regular user if needed I type in my root password and then nothing will happen, and the program will not start.

Can anyone help me with this problem?
Old 8th April 2004, 09:42 PM
LordMorgul Offline

You may be having problems with SELinux, is it enabled? (the program getenforce should tell you either 'permissive' or 'enforcing')
Check dmesg for audit output that states what SELinux is doing.

Have you updated to the latest packages available? (don't stay at the basic FC2test2 install from cds, there are numerous bugs already fixed)

On an system updated from FC1 there can be some pretty strange errors with SELinux since it does not get setup correctly. If you do have it enabled.. you can disable it until you get the installation / policy corrected by adding selinux=0 to the kernel paramters in /boot/grub/grub.conf.

No one now has, and no one will ever again get, the big picture. - Daniel Geer

Last edited by LordMorgul; 8th April 2004 at 09:45 PM.

Tags
opening, problems, windows