Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th April 2004, 08:36 PM
maarten Offline

cannot get driver information: dhcpcd comes up too soon

Hi all,
I have an usb-adsl modem and when i run it on reboot i get the error:
cannot get driver information: operation not supported

thus not up and running, when i have logged in i can get hsb0 going by throwing away
/etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-hsb0.pid file

and run

dhcpcd hsb0 in the terminal.

then it's working perfectly.
the modem takes about a minute to connect and i suspect that dhcpcd just kickes in too soon.
i created a file for startup:
ifcfg-hsb0:
# Zonnet ADSL-USB
DEVICE=hsb0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
DHCP_CLIENT=dhcpcd

my question is: is it possible to let dhcpcd run later in startup or can i put a minute delay inthere somewhere?

Maarten
Old 21st April 2004, 05:34 AM
kel Offline

Yes, you can change the order in which things are done during boot. The easiest way to do it is to change the boot order number that determines the order in which the service is started and/or stopped. Read http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=4445 to get a good handle on all of this....it's cool.

Here's the lazy guy's way to do this...by default, the network service start number is '10', rather early in the process. To change this, edit the network initscript, /etc/init.d/network, and change the start number , the '10' in the chkconfig line, to a large/later value...

> # network Bring up/down networking
> #
> # chkconfig: 2345 10 90
> # description: Activates/Deactivates all network interfaces configured to \
> # start at boot time.

becomes....

# chkconfig: 2345 25 90

now, to implement this change,

1) $ chkconfig --del network
2) $ chkconfig --add network

now all of your links in the various /etc/init.d/rcX.d directories are correct and the network starts later....but watch out! I've chosen 25 at random. You have to insure that no other services start up between 10 and 25 that require information from the network services....After you read the Linux Journal article above you'll understand what I'm ramblin' about....

Tags
dhcpcd, driver, information