Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th June 2006, 02:21 AM
Altstatten Offline

Mount My CD Drive

ok I understand the concept of mounting a dev ice. Even read the man mount pages which are little help unless you already understand how to do it!

Why does this have to be done manually in the first place. Fedora/Linux OS is obviously not intended for the masses but rather for the programmers out there who have the time to tinker and read manuals full-time??

All I wanna do is get FC4 to recognize my cd drive so I can use it. I need someone capable of explaining what code I need and where to run it to get my cd drive recognized every time I boot up. Don't wanna become a professional programmer, don't need a complete course in alphabet soup. Just help me get my cd drive working with FC4. Please.
Old 30th June 2006, 02:45 AM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hello;
Not sure what the issue really is and I have not used FC4 for a number of months now, so I am just going from memory, however, the cd-drive did not need to be mounted manually?
When you pop a cd into your drive, nothing happens?
Do you have the haldaemon, messagebus and autofs services runiing?
Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 30th June 2006, 03:00 AM
Altstatten Offline

I looked and I don't see any service by any of those names at all.
Old 30th June 2006, 07:43 AM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hello:
Again, I am going from memory only, sorry. You may want to have a look here to identify the services for FC4 http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mj...4.html#service

You definitely should have all of those services installed? Are you sure you are looking in the correct area?
Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 3rd July 2006, 06:01 PM
Altstatten Offline

Okay, after a couple days, a new prescription, and much thought I'm admitting that I didn't look up the services after all. I was looking at installed packages. <sigh> Would someone tell me exactly (how-to) look up the services I have running and where to turn them on, if they're not!

All I'm trying to do here is get FC4 to recognize my cd drive when I pop something in it. Right now I can't access it to look at the files NOR do those files seem to show up anywhere else to be seen (the big tree). Thanks! And thank you Seve for your assistance so far.
Old 3rd July 2006, 06:34 PM
ccrvic Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altstatten
Would someone tell me exactly (how-to) look up the services I have running and where to turn them on, if they're not!
man chkconfig.

Vic.
Old 3rd July 2006, 07:47 PM
Altstatten Offline

Yeah, well, I lookied it up and it tells me what it can do but doesn't say a lick about how to do it.

I tried it from the root, nothing. Can anyone else tell me HOW to do it?
Old 3rd July 2006, 07:57 PM
Craig Pemberton Offline

There is a gui utility for mounting devices in your "start" menu, under system, I think. I forget the name (I'm not on my computer right now).
Old 3rd July 2006, 09:13 PM
ccrvic Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altstatten
Yeah, well, I lookied it up and it tells me what it can do but doesn't say a lick about how to do it.
Then you clearly have a different set of man pages to the ones on my machine. That, or you didn't read them.

Vic.
Old 3rd July 2006, 09:34 PM
Nefarious Offline

I've just got a little entry in /etc/fstab and it automatically mounts my Optical Devices as needed, and I use KwikDisk to watch the Drive Space in my Hard Drives and it allows me to quickly and easily unmount the Optical Drives when I'm done.

Forgive me if I completely missed the point of your first post.

Worf: "Romulan Ale should be illegal"
Geordi: "It is..."

Tags
drive, mount