Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th June 2006, 07:21 PM
Jeff Sadowski Offline

minicom not sending arrow keys

I've noticed some receint problems with X im not sure how long ago it was working but it did use to work.

Its not really minicom. I suspect X and the keyboard interface. I'll try some different desktops and try commandline but somethings are fishy with kde, xorg, and minicom.
I try sending and nothing is sent. I downloaded some other terminal interfaces for serial communications like commi and cutecom. Cutecom sends info to the device(It does horible with the input though) but minicom seems not to. Out of desperation I tryed windows in a vmware machine and I still fail to send keyboard commands to the serial device. It sees stuff from it with no issues so it has to be working right?

Anyways I had to give up and use a windows machine to program the device.
If anyone has a fix I would like to know any info you can give thanks.
Old 19th June 2006, 08:10 PM
Jeff Sadowski Offline

I don't have the device I was having issues with. But I have a few others that I can try and experiment with.

One device(hp rx2600) the port settings are different (normal being 9600 8n1)
Its port settings 115200 8n1
when I connect to it I have no issues.

The other device(an hp procurve gig switch) has normal setting 9600 8n1
I hooked up to it with just minicom first and when I hit the enter key nothing happend
then I tried opening up vmware and using windows' hyperterm still nothing
then I tried cutecom and it worked except the control characters displayed funny
then I tried opening up minicom first and then cutecom I hit enter in cute come and stuff also displayed to my minicom console then I tried enter in minicom and minicom continued to work
funny that minicom worked after opening cutecom.
Well it worked for a while anyways. Now again it stoped communicating with the device.
I see no apperent changes in behavior from console or depending on desktop.
minicom seems flacky with the new kernels or it could be because of the new minicom depending on how far ago it was working correctly.

I'm thinking the serial driver is messed up. Is there a serial driver? I thought the kernel presented the serial device directly to the underlying programs?
Old 19th June 2006, 08:44 PM
Jeff Sadowski Offline

I was looking for any metions of errors for my seial devices.

I am using the serial8250 driver
I found nothing on it that looks like it relates to my issue and after thinking about it I thought it could be an SELinux issue. How would I go about figureing this out?

Tags
arrow, keys, minicom, sending