FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    desertwolf Guest

    burning audio cd from mp3 in FC 5

    I am new to Fedora Core. I was a Slack 10 user but who has time to dink with source installs every time you need a feature?

    I switched to FC 5 last week and only one thing has bothered me since. My entire music collection is in MP3. I have used yum to get XMMS and can play them just fine. I also used yum to get Gnomebaker and K3B along with every package their various sites offer to get them to support MP3 burning.

    I have had no success with either. I have lame, gstreamer, mpg321, K3B-extras, and none of them have given either program support for creating audio cd's from mp3. They work fine for Ogg Vorbis encoded files but not mp3. What is the quickest method to either give one of these programs MP3 support? If not these, what is the recommended program for this? I have no problems running from command line as, again, I am an old Slack user.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be around a k3b plugin for mp3 decoding.
    Anyway, IMHO, it's better decode the mp3 with lame then burn the wav files with any program you wish - K3b is fine.
    - Captain...
    - Yes, Spock?
    - I can't believe my ears...

  3. #3
    jmarius Guest
    K3b works fine on my system. It might be using gstreamer, and in that case you can get the gstreamer repo files and do a "yum install gstreamer-universe". That will take care of all the plugins. Rhythmbox (uses gstreamer) can also burn audio cd's from playlists.

  4. #4
    desertwolf Guest
    True, although technically that is what the mp3 plugin is supposed to do, call lame to convert the mp3 for me, then burn it. I could take the extra steps but why if a more elegant solution is available? For that matter I could convert my entire collection to Ogg but most mp3 players aren't Ogg compatible and I share these files with my system at work which is sadly forced to be Winblows XP.

  5. #5
    desertwolf Guest
    jmarius-Haven't tried the gstreamer-universe yet. I used "yum install gstreamer". Come to think of it, I first used "yum search gstreamer" and don't remember seeing gstreamer-universe as an option. Which repo is it at?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wine Country, California
    Posts
    2,850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you get the k3b-extras and k3b-extras-nonfree?

  7. #7
    desertwolf Guest
    u-noneinc-s- I did get k3b-extras but not k3b-extras-nonfree. In fact, k3b-extras-nonfree also doesn't show up when yum searching for k3b. Am I missing a repo? I have livina, the standard repos, freshRPMs, and one from Macromedia.

  8. #8
    jmarius Guest
    u-noneinc-s - I have both the extras and extras-nonfree (livna repo).
    desertwolf - I use the repos from gstreamer website: http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/download/fedora5.html

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wine Country, California
    Posts
    2,850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As daneel971 said, you can convert them first. although you shouldn't have to. I have been able to burn audio CDs (wav) from mp3s with k3b with no problem in the past. (I was trying again yesterday with no luck but that's another problem. I think my burner burned up).
    Back to daneel971's suggestion. xmms has a cdwriter plugin installed. choose option -> prefs -> output plugin -> cdwriter. Configure it to write to some dir, apply, play, zips through and done. Point k3b at that dir

  10. #10
    foolish Guest
    I like to use serpentine in GNOME for writing audio cds. It will work with mp3s if you have the gstreamer-plugins-mp3 package installed as described in www.fedorafaq.org/#rhythmbox

    To install serpentine:
    Code:
    yum -y install serpentine
    Once more, for mp3 support in serpentine and so many other applications, remember to install gstreamer-plugins-ugly

Similar Threads

  1. Burning Audio
    By complete-noobie in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2nd June 2006, 06:41 AM
  2. K3b - .mp3 to audio cd burning
    By steppenwolf in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 1st November 2005, 07:34 PM
  3. burning audio cds
    By FireRun in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 1st August 2005, 03:54 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •