Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th May 2006, 03:15 PM
crankshaft Offline

FC5 VNC won't start at boot

Hi;

I just upgraded from FC4 to FC5 (Fresh Install), and I am unable to get vncserver to start automatically.

As per FC4 I have edited the /root/.vnc/xstartup and /etc/sysconfig/vncservers files, and setup vncserver to load on boot through the services gui application.

During boot, the vncserver reports that it started sucessfully, however I am unable to login to a vnc session.

If I logon to the terminal and execute vncsever at the terminal, then vnc starts (even though it said it started during boot) and I can sucessfully login to a vnc session.

I have re-installed cleanly 3 times and get the same problem each time, I have also done a yum update before and after and it seems to make no difference.

Now I am stuck, the server has no permenant monitor / keyboard / mouse and is (and has been for the last 2 years) administered through vnc.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 28th May 2006, 04:34 PM
Brian1 Offline

Is there a firewall or selinux blocking access?

Brian1
Old 28th May 2006, 05:29 PM
crankshaft Offline

Hi;

Thanx, Firewall off, selinux disabled.

If I logon to the console & manually run vncserver all is ok, but the vnc server (mdaemon) will not start automatically during boot even though the boot log shows vncserver starting sucessfully !!
Old 28th May 2006, 06:24 PM
calabus Offline

I can't seem to get mine to start at all. In services it says it has started if I manually start it, but in the status window it reports as stopped. Can it not be run in a KDE enviro?

Last edited by calabus; 28th May 2006 at 06:42 PM.
Old 28th May 2006, 08:42 PM
Brian1 Offline

Follow this link and check you have done it all.
http://fedoranews.org/tchung/vnc/

Post what you have in /etc/sysconfig/vncververs and in your home directory ~/.vnc/xstartup
Also as root and if you think it is running from boot type the command as root.
service --status-all | grep vncserver

Have you enabled it to boot up in runlevel 3,4,and 5. You can use the command and must be run as root.
chkconfig --level 345 vnc on

Brian1
Old 29th May 2006, 10:11 AM
crankshaft Offline

Hi Brian;

Thanx, that's the same procedure which I've always used, except that my /root/.vnc/xstartup includes & kdestart which is the command I have always previously used in FC3 and FC4 to start KDE as the desktop, I have probably installed FC3 & FC4 a dozen times and have always got VNC to work first time.

What is most strange is that during the boot, if I show the boot details (ctrl-d), vncserver gets started with a green OK, but when the booting has finished, it is not started, I need to manually start it using vncserver in a terminal and then everything works as it should.

it looks like the vncserver daemon is just not starting - how can I check it's existince & configuration manually ?? - I even tried removing & re-installing vncserver but that did not help either !
Old 29th May 2006, 05:48 PM
sej7278 Offline

you have to have logged in via gdm before you can actually start a vnc session, otherwise there's no x session to connect to. i think there is a setting to allow you to login to gdm using vncviewer though.

freenx does it all....
Old 31st May 2006, 10:35 AM
crankshaft Offline

Hi, OK now VNC starts up as a gnome session, however I have edited xstartup & replaced "twm &" with:

"kdestart &"

However KDE never starts up, it always starts as Gnome - and I have searched for kdestart in the file system and there's no such file !

Any ideas ??
Old 2nd June 2006, 12:19 AM
Brian1 Offline

Should be startkde &

Also you may need to edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop
DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE

Brian1
Old 30th June 2006, 03:02 AM
whitecloud1 Offline

I had the same problem: vnc server insisted on using Gnome.
I solved the problem in a strange way:
I deleted the .vnc folders from /root and /home/user
I uninstalled vnc-server and vnc (both 4.1.1) using yum
I installed a slightly later viewer 4.1.2.
I reinstalled vnc-server 4.1.
----------------------
Now the .vnc folders are empty
I didn't have to reconfigure or setup vnc-server to load at boot
Somehow, it just works when I login from my mac powerbook.
I can also read and operate the powerbook desktop from fedora 5, so all is
well. if I need to copy files across in either direction, I use Samba.

I've no idea how this worked but it solved the KDE problem.

JB.

Tags
boot, fc5, start, vnc