Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd May 2006, 11:28 PM
sonic_wombat Offline

FC5 on laptop with Intel 915GM chipset

I've just installed FC5 on my shiny new laptop, and I've got everything apart from the Xorg hardware acceleration working. My laptop spec is:
  • Pentium M 2GHz
  • 1GB DDR1 RAM
  • Intel 915GM chipset
  • 1280 x 768 display

The intel chipset is recognised by Xorg, and the i810 driver is selected for me, if I cat /proc/modules I can see i915.ko is loaded. If I check System->Administration->display, the intel 810 driver claims to support the intel 915GM chipset. However, when I start X I don't get a mouse cursor, and most menus and windows only get partially drawn until I drag the (invisble) mouse over them. I've used 915resolution to check the available bios resolutions and added a new resolution for 1280 x 768, which seemed to slightly reduce the display corruption, but didn't fix it.

At the moment my laptop is working fine with the Vesa driver, but I'd really like to get the proper hardware acceleration working.

Has anyone got FC5 working on an intel 915GM based laptop?
Old 23rd May 2006, 10:43 AM
Thetargos Online

AS far as I know Intel has their own drivers, you may want to give them a try... I *think* they use the existing kernel DRM inteface (the ,ko module). so you wouldn't need to buld that too (but I can't be certain).

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.

Tags
915gm, chipset, fc5, intel, laptop