Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Suggestions & Feedback
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Suggestions & Feedback Have suggestions, feedback or just plain questions regarding FedoraForum.org? Post them here. (We reserve the right to poke fun at you or just ignore them).

Old 21st May 2006, 03:43 PM
lurch Offline

Responses to questions

Hi
Could I just put a post here to say I am impressed by the response to "newbie" questions on this Forum.
Old 21st May 2006, 04:01 PM
pparks1 Offline

Yes you can and indeed you did.

That is one of the things that I like best about this forum. Helping out newbies is one of the best things that you can do to help spread Linux.
Registered Linux User #375155 For More Info or to register yourself

My Linux box is:
Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..
Old 22nd May 2006, 04:54 PM
Al3xanR0 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by pparks1
Yes you can and indeed you did.

That is one of the things that I like best about this forum. Helping out newbies is one of the best things that you can do to help spread Linux.
I second this motion!
| Al3xanRO | Registered User #413462 |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved. -Acts 2:21
Old 22nd May 2006, 05:35 PM
steve1961 Offline

Quote:
Hi
Could I just put a post here to say I am impressed by the response to "newbie" questions on this Forum.
Agreed, this is one of friendliest forums for newbies that I've come across. Helping people is what the forum is all about, so it's important that we share knowledge, and as you start to learn your way around the system please share what you learn if you have an answer to someone's question.
Old 22nd May 2006, 05:40 PM
ilja Offline

I think something, that is very important as well is giving feedback. Nobody answers the questions for money, but the peoples' reward is the respect and thanks, they get from the community. So never understimate the power of a thank you.
Old 23rd May 2006, 04:22 AM
Jman Offline

Hooray for us.

Moved to Suggestions and Feedback.
Old 23rd May 2006, 05:55 AM
flaakmonkey Offline

I will say, when you dont help he n00bs, they tend to shy away, and go back to what is familiar whether they like it or not. Helping people is a huge part of LInux and I think that is akey to its future success is the Community.
Old 18th June 2006, 09:46 AM
cbsj4 Offline

Hi
am pretty new to this forum and have had some very good responses to my posts of which I was very grateful. Had one reply which I thought was a bit rude. I was advised to go try another easier distro, and check out the FAQ. I'm a noob to Linux and I think it's a very steep learning curve. I agree helping people out is what forums are all about. I hope to help out when I can in time.
Many thanks

cbsj4
Old 19th June 2006, 03:07 AM
w5set Offline

@cbsj4
Welcome, and howdy.
Sometimes some of my answers are a little cryptic to a newuser, but that's just 'cuz they are just accessible (usually) by the command line.
I certainly don't mean to be cryptic but the command line is usually just a few short words and then it's done, and hope I haven't ever been rude (except to a certain few who were just trolling).
Keep with Linux even when it seems to be a lot of trouble. Even Winxx was hard to get running for a lot of folks.
It's a rather steep learning curve coming from Win to Linux, but it's certainly not a unsurmountable obstacle cuz I am still trudging up the hill myself and learning a few tidbits each week still.
I prefer using FC5 for my day to day stuff over Winxx and very seldom (once a year for "Tax time") even put the Xpee drive back into my computer. Linux (FC5) does what I need done and it's a lot of OS more then I need but the exploration is a lot of fun.
---hint----rudeness is usually punished by Bob's/Jman's/Ila's (or any one of the CM's) ban button
or at least a rather short post to inform the offender of certain button use if the person doesn't shape up a little or get the topic on a more friendly tone. I like it here for just that reason.
Old 19th June 2006, 01:06 PM
cbsj4 Offline

w5set
Hi and thanks for the warm welcome. I do try and work out things on my own before posting. Am still sorting basic things out like Kopete which is another little hurdle I've overcome.
When trying to figure things out I sometimes get so overwhelmed with all the technical jargon I go and ask for advise which does sometimes come in a simpler answer or even copy n paste type of answer. Any reply of course is gratefully recieved. And like you say this a is a good forum.
I am trying to stay off winxp, school of thought is, the more I use Fedora the better I'll become, much to the annoyance of my family. hahaha
!500 posts how long have you been on Linux? ( I'm not worthy of your time Master) haha
take care and thanks Buddy.
cbsj4

Last edited by cbsj4; 19th June 2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 20th June 2006, 05:33 AM
w5set Offline

****!500 posts how long have you been on Linux?***
Not long enough and starting way late in computer usage. (measured by my years)
Then again of course Linux hasn't gotten to the "user" stage until just recently in computer years.
Master--??--only if you are referring to my normal occupation and certainly not my Linux experience.
And you are correct on making the point of "using more Linux makes you more profecient".
One of the first rules of instructing (one of my sidelines of income) is
"Early successes lead to more successes". (make it easy for the first lesson even on yourself--don't go recompileing a new kernel just cuz you heard that's the only way to get the wireless working--slap in a wired card and get to using Linux on the internet first and then gain experience before stepping out where no men boldly go---
Just an example above....
Not for your own experience just an example of "easy at first".
That's where most new users go "south"--they step boldly out and promptly crash and burn and then limp back to win stating "Linux isn't developed enough for an advanced user such as me".
Just a a small kid (rugrat age) we have to learn to walk before we can run--take your time and enjoy the trip.
It will take a lifetime of running just to keep up with the changes that FC has from release to release and it's quite facinating for me anyway, so I just keep plugging away with every new release--someday maybe I might be a "master" of something--but computers change so fast that there will probably never be ANY masters of these cursed machines cuz what is red hot today is just tommorrow's give away's to the neighbor kid for school.
Almost 1500 here--close anyway--and a few hundred in another distro place and still this Linux stuff is a marvel to me.
So--master?? not hardly--but it's a fun trip with no finish line in sight, besides, look at some of the real "Guru's" post counts. Heck, there's a certain 14 year old haunting these forum's that I'm getting a certain envy/respect for his raw talent he shows for this stuff. (what's he gonna be like when he's 25 or so??)--now if we can get him to drop the "windows support coming" from some of his web pages--he will be more then "OK".
(just joking FW--a dual/triple OS guru usually makes a few $$ on his knowledge)
Old 20th June 2006, 02:47 PM
sailor Offline
Administrator

Location: San Antonio, Texas - Home of the Alamo, the "Cradle of Texas Liberty"
Hi lurch & cnjs4, Welcome aboard!!
We try to keep the rudeness and flame posts to a minimum...it sometimes means posts will get closed due to the the direction they are headed, which can upset some folks.
As always, please stay active in the forum and pass on what you know...I started as a newbie back in 2002 when the forum had just started. I still certainly don't know everything, but have learned so much.
I still refer to tutorials everytime I upgrade...and I keep a blog of the problems/answers I run into with each install and setup.

Fedora 20 - Lenovo IdeaPad V570