Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th May 2006, 04:36 AM
boaojatista Offline

Red face dumb questions

Hi people,
Although I have been using Linux for a while this id my first FC installation. I am having some difficulties in dealing with yum and software installation and updates. First, I would like to know how to install software from my CDs. I tried to install using Add/Remove Software from Application menu, but I don't know how to set the program to install from the CDs instead of bringing all from the Internet. It takes to long. If someone can help with this I would be very grateful. I am not sure if this is the right place to post questions like this but I could not find a newbie section. If this is not the right place, please, forgive me and any directions will be welcome.
Thank you in advance.
2 SATA - RAID 0
GeForce 6500
Old 16th May 2006, 04:53 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Here's how to do it: http://www.city-fan.org/tips/YumRepoFromImages And, you're fine where you posted it. Welcome to the Forum! BTW, we're all Newbies when you consider all there is to learn....
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 17th May 2006, 03:42 AM
boaojatista Offline

Thank you bob, but it didn't work. All I get is this message :
failure: Fedora/RPMS/lockdev-devel-1.0.1-9.2.1.i386.rpm from core: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

Anyway, what I really need now is to compile a kernel version 2.6.16 because my motherboard is a Asus A8N-E with RAID support. I need to have the sata_nv drive compiled into the kernel or it won't boot. I could not find the way to compile the kernel. I was able to download the src package from pbone but there is no makefile or xconfig.
2 SATA - RAID 0
GeForce 6500
Old 17th May 2006, 05:25 AM
icydog Offline

I'm using the stock FC5 kernel and it works fine. I'm using A7N8X and booting off of SATA. I don't know how it works, but sata_nv and sata_sil are loaded and allow me to boot from the sata (I have a Silicon Image SATA controller). If that sounds similar to what you have, then it should work...
Old 17th May 2006, 11:29 AM
boaojatista Offline

OK . Maybe I didn't explain myself very well. I also can boot from the kernel (2.6.15-1.2054) installed in the regular installation process. The problem is after the update process, when it brings a new kernel (e.g. 2.6.16-1.2111). Then I have to edit grub.conf to boot from the former kernel by default because the new one will not start. I understand that in this case I don't really need to use the new kernel, but maybe that, for any particular reason, I need to update from the old one (e. g. a security update or whatever), then I will be in trouble. Anyway thanks for the tip.
2 SATA - RAID 0
GeForce 6500
Old 17th May 2006, 12:38 PM
bob Online

Well, if you've used either the ATI or Nvidia drivers from Livna to add 3D, it could be the problem. You'd have to run the update scripts (see here: http://www.fedorafaq.org/#radeon or here: http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_cor...es.html#nVidia ) with each kernel change.

Old 17th May 2006, 04:15 PM
boaojatista Offline

Thank you bob, but I am not using any video card drivers from livna or 3D. The problem is with the nvidia sata controller drive (also distributed in the regular FC5 system), actually this is what I suppose because the error I get is :

Code:
/dev/mapper/nvidia_acaafeee invalid (this is my RAID array)
and then the kernel panics because it can't mount any partitions.

Even if there is a similar procedure to fix this problem as there is for the video card, I still would like to be able to use Add / Remove Software from local repositories and compile new kernel customized by my own. If there is any directions in the web, please tell me, because I could not find them.

Thank you again, and I would like to state that I actually enjoy this process of learning about linux because I am adicted to it and enjoy very much to know as much as possible about any distribution. So if I need to read, this is not a problem but fun.
2 SATA - RAID 0
GeForce 6500
Old 17th May 2006, 04:57 PM
bob Online

Ouch! Well, I've never used a raid array and sata and can't really suggest the proper solution to that one. I'm sure someone will add a post here shortly to explain it though. Besides searching the Forum, don't be afraid to file a bugzilla on the problem after searching there: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/index.cgi I just filed one due to a printer issue after the last update and it was resolved within 24 hours.

Old 18th May 2006, 04:06 AM
boaojatista Offline

I have reported a bugzilla as bob suggested. About the updates issue I am using "yum" and it does not take too long as the "Add / Remove Software" application. I tried to use yumex (looks nice) but I could not really activate the actual update. How can you you do it, after select the packages ?
About compiling the kernel I am understanding that installing a "devel" one will do the trick. I will try it when I really need it. So far, so good.
Bob, I think that you can close this thread if you feel so, but you will not get rid of me, I will be back soon with new problems, I am sure. Till there, thanks a bunch for all the help.
2 SATA - RAID 0
GeForce 6500
Old 18th May 2006, 04:10 AM
bob Online

Okay, with Yumex you add the program you want to the Queue and then go to the Queue and process from there. Good luck with the rest & see you around!

Tags
dumb, questions