Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th May 2006, 12:19 PM
woppa30 Offline

vncviewer only shows black screen.

I have changed something but I'm not quite sure what.
Fedora Core 5 machine. fully updated with yum which may have caused this problem...
For a while now I have been using vnc to look at and interact with the :0 display by having a
load "vnc" in the modules section in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file as described here.
http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/x0.html

My /home/david.vnc.xstartup looks like this.
#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
twm &

Until recently this allowed me to control the :0 display of my FC5 box at home either through my home LAN or via the internet with tunnelling through ssh from a Windows XP machine with PuTTy.

Has anybody any idea why my vncviewer only shows a black screen with nothing of the :0 display shown ?? even if I create anothe desktop with vncserver and try and connect to that I still get nohing but a black creen with no desktop.
Any ideas anybody ???
Thanks in advance,
woppa
Old 12th June 2006, 07:27 PM
havenoclu Offline

did you ever figure this out?? i'm having the same problems. vnc works fine if i run vncserver from ssh, but i'd like to have screen 0 working. i know it used to work....so i dunno if an update screwed it up or what.

edit: maybe i should clarify. vnc sessions run with xinetd do not work. starting one manually (via ssh) works fine.

Last edited by havenoclu; 12th June 2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12th June 2006, 08:38 PM
havenoclu Offline

i figured i should answer my own question...in case anyone else runs into a similar problem. i just added localhost to xhost, and viola! took me a lot of hunting around to find this solution, so maybe this'll help a couple of you.

Code:
xhost +localhost
I believe you should change "localhost" to whatever you have set after the "-query" option in your xinetd vnc file...but that could be wrong. localhost should be right for most people.

Tags
black, screen, shows, vncviewer