Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th May 2006, 08:45 PM
schwim Offline

Tidy HTML/General install procedures?

Hi there guys,

I wanted to work with Quanta Plus, and on startup, it told me that it was missing the Tidy application for complete functionality, so I went to the tidy page(http://tidy.sourceforge.net), downloaded it and uncompressed to to desktop.

Upon viewing I see a single file in the /bin directory with no instructions. The web site also is lacking any directions for install, which leads me to believe that it's a no-brainer.

However, I'm stumped. Being new at this, I'm wary of just dropping it in /bin. is that all I'm supposed to do, or is there something else that needs to be done to install this?

thanks very much for your time,
json
Old 14th May 2006, 09:26 PM
Aewyn Offline

Not a direct answer to your question, but I always prefer to install stuff using Yum, whenever possible. That way I know I'm getting a package prepared spefically for Fedora. Instructions for setting it up is at http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware (for FC5, there are also versions for FC4 and older).

Since tidy is in Extras, it should be as easy as doing "yum install tidy" as root.
Old 14th May 2006, 10:16 PM
schwim Offline

Thanks!

Wow, that's even better than the answer to my question!

It will take me some time to come to realise that even if the developer doesn't comment on it, there might be a version of the app tailored to FC.

thanks,
json

Tags
html or general, install, procedures, tidy