Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st April 2004, 01:08 PM
docgreen9 Offline

new install, login question????

Hi, newbie here. Just installed Fedora on a spare pc I have last night. When it can to the step where you can add users I selected not to add any because I'm the only one going to be using it. The install said it didn't matter because you can still login as the "administrator" along with the admin password which I set during install. Well finished the install and came to login and can't get in. I've tried "admin", "administrator" and my password. Can't get in. Is there a way around this or am I using the wrong login?? I'm confused. Thanks for any help.
Old 1st April 2004, 02:42 PM
proffit Offline

login

don't use admin try to log in as root.
Btw: you definately want to create a user acount because running as root all the time is a bad idea.

Michael
Old 1st April 2004, 02:49 PM
docgreen9 Offline

proffit, thanks for the info. So just use root as my user and the password I set up during install right? I'll try that. Can I set up additional users once I get it up and running?
Old 1st April 2004, 02:54 PM
proffit Offline

login

yeah users should be easy to set up wether you use kde or gnome. The setting should be in the little panel manu somewhere probably under system or something. The problem with root is that it is really easy to mess up your computer because it will literally allow you to change almost anything without warning. As a normal user it will ask you for your root password first. How new are you to linux? feel free to post up any questions and I will try to walk you through anything you need. I was new to linux myself a few months ago.

Michael
Old 1st April 2004, 03:26 PM
docgreen9 Offline

Michael, I'm real new. I just started reading about Linux a month ago. Decided to mess around with it and figured I'd give Fedora a shot. I know absolutely nothing about it and it's a little scarey but that's why I installed it on my old pc I had just laying around. I'd like to learn how to use linux fluently and possibly build a pvr box but that's down the road. I got to get logged in first.... LOL. Thanks for the offer on the help I'm sure I'll be taking you up on it a lot.
Old 1st April 2004, 03:37 PM
proffit Offline

Np, there is alot of info out there about linux and alot of helpful people willing to walk you through whatever you need. And don't worry about it being scary, just be willing to make some mistakes and learn from them. Since this is your first install it would be a good idea to take it all in steps. First ofcourse you want to get it installed properly. After that you want to make sure all essential hardware is working properly including modem/network (whatever you use for internet)video (including monitor/video card) keyboard and mouse. From there move on to anything else that might now work right like your printer and sound. After all that is done you should install apt and learn to manage .tar files and rpm files. After that you can decide if you enjoy kde or gnome and start personalizing everything and focus on other parts of your system. You should also start getting comfortable with the command line because it is a very powerful tool and usually the most efficient way to fix problems with your system. It will all come to you pretty quick, I promise

Michael
Old 7th April 2004, 02:54 AM
YourDoom123 Offline

I installed fedora but i never got a prompt askin me to create new users.... do i need to get into fedora first cause i have the same problem as him.
Old 7th April 2004, 05:18 AM
Thoreau Offline

yeah just follow what proffit said. Linux is different from windows, it has been said before being root it will not ask if you are sure, it'll just do it.

don't be afraid to post either, everyone had to ask some time.

"Do I understand your question, man, is it hopeless and forlorn?" Bob Dylan

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
-- The Friends of Voltaire, 1906

My NcpMount script for Netware servers
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=544473&postcount=8
Thanks to: Brunson & Ibbo
Old 22nd April 2004, 02:11 AM
Blaze2gs Offline

I have the dumbest question of all?

I am very new to linux so I decided to download the fedora core 1 CD's Yarrow. I started to install when it told me it did not detect my video card (BFG Asylum 5700 Ultra) so I decided to do a text install. Everything went great and it installed perfectly but when it rebooted it loaded just fine the it asked me for (LocalHost Login: )
I created a root password in the install but it never gave an option to create user. What must I do here. I was told to enter HOME but i do that and it gives me (Login). I am very lost here. If anyone knows what to do please help. Thanks in advance

Old 22nd April 2004, 02:35 AM
Jman Offline

If you don't have a user account log in as root with the root password. But as soon as possible run Main Menu > System Settings > Users and Groups and create a user for everyday use with the Add User button.

Login as root as little as possible, just to do administrative stuff.
Old 22nd April 2004, 02:45 AM
imdeemvp Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by YourDoom123
I installed fedora but i never got a prompt askin me to create new users.... do i need to get into fedora first cause i have the same problem as him.

MOST distribution will ask you to create user! if you were clicking or going to fast you missed it!

I also recommend to read the step by step cofiguration of your installation....it is important for all hardware to work proberly even for the monitor!

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D

Last edited by imdeemvp; 22nd April 2004 at 02:48 AM.
Old 22nd April 2004, 06:22 AM
crackers Offline
Retired Community Manager

He did a text install - I don't think that prompts for a user account.
Old 4th May 2004, 04:45 PM
fdbolker Offline

problem with add user

hi

i have installed fedora 1.91. When i tried to add an user with adduser <user> this <user> only can login in romote with ssh , but not in local mode. The system says that the directory /home/<user> not exists but it exits
Old 5th May 2004, 06:52 AM
crackers Offline
Retired Community Manager

Check the permissions of the /home/<user> directory and see if they're set/owned by the <user> account.
Old 6th May 2004, 04:18 AM
Thoreau Offline

doesn't the add new user progam set the directory permissions?

"Do I understand your question, man, is it hopeless and forlorn?" Bob Dylan

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
-- The Friends of Voltaire, 1906

My NcpMount script for Netware servers
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=544473&postcount=8
Thanks to: Brunson & Ibbo

Tags
install, login, question