Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th March 2004, 07:52 PM
mrg Offline

Unhappy Package Management

Hi,

I have recently installed Fedora (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl) and am fighting to get my BT ADSL modem to work. I think I need to install a further gcc package in order to get a modem driver working but have found that installing any package via the package management screen gives me the following error:

Error installing packages
There was an error installing packages.
Exiting,

I get this no matter what I try and do, any ideas please??
Old 30th March 2004, 10:39 PM
Jman Offline

Any details about the modem? Model number?

The gcc package will only do you good if you have some source code to compile.

Chances are good it's already installed. Run
Code:
rpm -q gcc
at a terminal to see if it's installed.
Old 30th March 2004, 11:49 PM
Paul_Vandenberg Offline

Re: Package Management

Quote:
Originally posted by mrg
Hi,

I have recently installed Fedora (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl) and am fighting to get my BT ADSL modem to work. I think I need to install a further gcc package in order to get a modem driver working but have found that installing any package via the package management screen gives me the following error:

Error installing packages
There was an error installing packages.
Exiting,

I get this no matter what I try and do, any ideas please??
Sounds you like you need to install the updated redhat-config-packages RPM. You can get it from http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...pdates/1/i386/
Old 31st March 2004, 12:10 PM
mrg Offline

Thanks for the response, I will try what you have detailed this evening and let you know the result.
Old 1st April 2004, 11:23 PM
James Offline

I have the exact same modem, this is what i did to get it working:

Before doing this unplug usb from modem at the back to unload the windows drivers.

1. Go to this website http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/download.php?lang=en
and download the
eciadsl-usermode-0.8-1.i386.rpm , you can install this file by double clicking on it then typing in your root password. or use the command line, rpm -i eciadsl-usermode-0.8-1.i386.rpm.

2.Now as root from the command line type eciconf.sh , this will bring up the ECI linux driver configuration tool and change these settings:

Update provider= BT uk
Select modem = Bt broadband Voyager
VPI =0
VCI =38
Change your user name and password to the one you use in windows in this format:
yourname.yourname@btbroadband.com
(yourname = the one you used when regestering)

Leave the other settings alone for now and click remove dabusb and then create config, now click quit.

3. Plug in your modem again and from root terminal type /usr/local/bin/startmodem | tee log.txt and watch the output.

it won't connect properly but will give you your primary dns and secondary dns addresses, keep this terminal open and unplug you modem again, open another terminal and type eciconf.sh , now enter the primary and secondary dns addresses from the output in the other terminal and click create config.

4.Plug in your modem again and as root type /usr/local/bin/startmodem | tee log.txt . Watch the output and once it says connection successfull , try opening a web browser to see if you are connected or not.

If you dual boot with windows make sure you unplug your modem after using Linux for about 10-15 seconds to remove the linux drivers from memory or windows won't detect your modem.

p.s i am quite new to linux and i have found that i must be root to run these commands, su or sudo won't work, maybe somebody will know a way around this if it is a problem.

Hope this helps

Last edited by James; 2nd April 2004 at 07:31 PM.
Old 8th April 2004, 08:23 PM
mrg Offline

Thumbs up

James, you are a Star!

My BT broadband is now working on Fedora (I am replying to this post via Fedora!!) Yeah!

Thanks again.

Last edited by Jman; 9th April 2004 at 01:04 AM.
Old 9th April 2004, 01:06 AM
Jman Offline

Changed a small typo that made me confused: not -> now. A spell checker wouldn't catch that.

I assume you got it working.
Old 15th May 2004, 12:42 PM
Hellme Offline

Just a few comments:

1. Some people will need to install perl-base (freely downloadable from the internet) - no idea why, but eciads won't run without it.

2. After running everything until step 3 perfectly, startmodem gives me a 'modem not found' error, eventhough the modem is plugged in and obviously present. From what I've managed to read up on, it won't work because my motherboard uses USB 2.0.

Obviously, I don't know if there's a way around this, but I've tried everything I can to get it to run, to no avail. Any help appreciated.
Old 19th May 2004, 07:50 PM
James Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellme
Just a few comments:

2. After running everything until step 3 perfectly, startmodem gives me a 'modem not found' error, eventhough the modem is plugged in and obviously present. From what I've managed to read up on, it won't work because my motherboard uses USB 2.0.

What version of fedora are you using? if you are using fedora 2 or fedora 1 with a 2.6 kernel then you need to:

Patch your kernel with the following patch:

http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/download....6.x-usb.patch and then recompile and reinstall kernel.

and then make sure you install this version of eciadsl

http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/download...0.9-1.i586.rpm

follow the instructions after you have done this and it should work, did for me when i installed today.F C 2
Linux slag 2.6.12-1.1447_FC4 #1 Fri Aug 26 20:29:51 EDT 2005 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Last edited by James; 19th May 2004 at 10:08 PM.
Old 19th May 2004, 08:06 PM
Hellme Offline

I'm downloading FC2 as we speak, and will follow the patching steps you've added. Hopefully it'll work this time round.

Thanks for the help
Old 1st June 2004, 05:01 AM
Robtotheb Offline

perl-base

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellme
Just a few comments:

1. Some people will need to install perl-base (freely downloadable from the internet) - no idea why, but eciads won't run without it.

Having problems finding a perl-base for Fedora - can any one help? I can't run the modem driver without it
Old 3rd June 2004, 08:51 PM
James Offline

Perl-Base is only required for the graphical installation, if you download the tarball of eciadsl and follow the instructions in the install file.

once installed, run eciconftxt.sh to configure your modem. this will allow you to configure your modem without requiring perl-base and tk.

All the settings are the same as my guide above, if you live in the UK.
Linux slag 2.6.12-1.1447_FC4 #1 Fri Aug 26 20:29:51 EDT 2005 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Last edited by James; 4th June 2004 at 06:29 AM.
Old 17th July 2004, 06:00 AM
Robtotheb Offline

problems

Please bare in mind in a total newbie to linux and trying my best to learn it. I tried a while back to install my bt voyager modem on FC2 and it didn't work - I thought I'd give it another try after a fresh FC2 install. I tried all the steps suggested. When I used the eciadsl-usermode-0.8-1.i386.rpm it told me i needed to associate a program to the file. When I used eciadsl-usermode-0.9.tar - i managed to unzip, use terminal (in the correct dir!) and type ./configure and it gives me an error. Out of forum solutions and stuck

can someone help this ignorant fool?
Old 9th February 2005, 10:33 PM
james_smith_88 Offline

Help

I have tried to do this and i just fail! It says modem not found! Please help!

Last edited by james_smith_88; 9th February 2005 at 11:01 PM.
Old 23rd March 2005, 12:28 PM
ross edwards Offline

same prob

i am having the same prob, when i run this /usr/local/bin/startmodem | tee log.txt it says that the modem could not be found, (and yes it was pluged in)
i am dual booting with windows xp on master hard drive, and fedora on slave.

i have also started it again but it keeps coming up with modem cannot be found?
plz can some 1 help.i will be very gratefull if u could

Tags
management, package