Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th April 2006, 09:57 AM
cryptic Offline

how to remove selinux?

Hi,

selinux has given me nothing but grief. I know how to edit the system for the options it offers anyway, so i have no need for it.

how do i remove it completely? i have it disabled but its just wasting space..
Old 4th April 2006, 11:22 AM
reddazz Offline

Have you tried uninstalling it using rpm, yum or yumex? I am not sure if it can be totally removed, but its worth a try.
Old 4th April 2006, 12:18 PM
cryptic Offline

i give up on fedora... so much crap installed when you don't want/need.

to remove something breaks something else...

grrrr. going back to openbsd.... i only installed it cause of comptia.... shhheesshh!
Old 4th April 2006, 12:53 PM
baschti Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic
i give up on fedora... so much crap installed when you don't want/need.

to remove something breaks something else...

grrrr. going back to openbsd.... i only installed it cause of comptia.... shhheesshh!
noooo! don't give up!
use "system-config-securitylevel" to dissable selinux
Old 4th April 2006, 01:18 PM
baschti Offline

oh..sorry didn't read your first post.
you can try to remove the packages which
Code:
rpm -qa | grep -i selinux
finds
Old 6th April 2006, 09:29 AM
mit Offline

Just use 'System -> Administration -> Security Level and Firewall' select the 'SELinux' and select disabled and reboot, now SELinux is turn off.
Old 14th July 2009, 10:21 AM
wvn Offline

yes but even disabled you stll get the policy notifications

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=226334

Last edited by wvn; 14th July 2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 14th July 2009, 02:51 PM
Dangermouse Offline
Administrator - (On Leave)

Quote:
yes but even disabled you stll get the policy notifications
Hi just go to Menu>>System>>Preferences>>Startup Applications and uncheck Selinux Troubleshooter and if im correct (not always) that will stop the reminders i think! etc..
Old 17th July 2009, 02:01 PM
Quasaur Offline

Fedora 11: the problem is that removing the following programs:
libselinux.i586 2.0.80-1.fc11 @fedora
libselinux.x86_64 2.0.80-1.fc11 installed
libselinux-devel.x86_64 2.0.80-1.fc11 @fedora
libselinux-python.x86_64 2.0.80-1.fc11 installed
libselinux-utils.x86_64 2.0.80-1.fc11 installed
selinux-policy.noarch 3.6.12-62.fc11 installed
selinux-policy-targeted.noarch

...will also remove 904 other packages (i.e. ALL OF FEDORA)...!!!
Old 5th December 2009, 11:19 PM
fedoralinuxuser Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
"Removing entire FC when trying to remove selinux." Telll me all about it.

Yes, selinux is like a bad government, it can only be removed by a coup i.e. installing bsd or such. I am currently having an SElinux nightmare trying to get it to allow nfs mounts.

If the selinux crowd continues to take over linux in this way my business servers will be booting bsd or such very soon.

How about a petition to force the SELinux communism or dictatorship to become an option not a rule?

FC12 has no way to disable selinux in the firewall setup.
Truly pathetic. I have to go back to FC10 to destroy selinux.
Old 5th December 2009, 11:37 PM
Dies Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedoralinuxuser View Post
"Removing entire FC when trying to remove selinux." Telll me all about it.

Yes, selinux is like a bad government, it can only be removed by a coup i.e. installing bsd or such. I am currently having an SElinux nightmare trying to get it to allow nfs mounts.

If the selinux crowd continues to take over linux in this way my business servers will be booting bsd or such very soon.

How about a petition to force the SELinux communism or dictatorship to become an option not a rule?

FC12 has no way to disable selinux in the firewall setup.
Truly pathetic. I have to go back to FC10 to destroy selinux.
You're kidding right?

You must be, since all it takes is adding

selinux=0

to the kernel boot line.

And that's only one of the ways to disable it, not to mention you can un-install almost everything related to SELinux aside from one or two packages...
Old 6th December 2009, 01:50 AM
forkbomb Offline

windows_7firefox
I've personally never found it hard to disable SELinux. Sure, you can't remove the packages without removing most of the system. Still, it's not a huge deal if you disable it - you just end up with a handful of packages that probably take up negligible disk space space. How can you bring politics into this, anyway? I hardly see what communism or dictatorship have to do with SELinux.

I believe this conversation came up in the past and one of the regulars pointed out that it's sort of like buying a truck with 4-wheel drive. Considering that Fedora has been an selinux distro for some time now, removing SELinux would be a bit like asking the mechanic to remove the 4-wheel drive functionality because you have no intention of using it. The mechanic would likely just say, "hey, how about you just refrain from shifting it into 4-wheel-drive?"

Personally if one hates selinux with such a passion I wonder why one would bother with Fedora. After all it was one of the first distros that attempted, in earnest, to deploy an selinux-capable implementation.

Quote:
If the selinux crowd continues to take over linux in this way my business servers
Fedora on business servers, eh?
Old 6th December 2009, 05:00 AM
fedoralinuxuser Offline

linuxmozilla
Up to Fc10 it was easy to disable, either through the firewall settings or going to /etc/rc.d/init.d and stopping the daemon there during earlier versions. Fc12 however dropped the config through firewall, there is no daemon I can stop int /etc/rc.d/init.d so now I had to go figure.
SELinux messed up our company's servers several times disallowing NFS (silently to add injury to insult due to nfs being ext3 and client ext4as an example) and strange circles it runs with you on ext4. I am using Linux for 13 years now and everything imo started becoming single-machine-mindset the last 2 years, which is most likely the reason for SELinux. I definately have no use for it at all as I run rackservers with clients and everything runs remotely. SELinux hates remote access be it ssh telnet or rlogin. Switching the dictator off, resolves 90% of problems.

I would be very glad if you could list NON SELinux so I can try them as SELinux might work for single users but definitely is a pitb for internal networks in a corporate setting.

As for politics, the SELinux thread of Linux distros is not Linux anymore it is SELinux then Linux, and SE is slowly and increasingly dictating how we should view security. That is communism. You are right, I hate SELinux but not fedora or Linux, SE caused wasted man hours. RedHat/Fedora used to be way better before this cancer crept in.
Old 6th December 2009, 02:00 PM
forkbomb Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedoralinuxuser View Post
[yadda yadda yadda]dictating how we should view security. That is communism. You are right, I hate SELinux but not fedora or Linux, SE caused wasted man hours. RedHat/Fedora used to be way better before this cancer crept in.
No. It really has nothing to do with politics, even if we assumed sane definitions of dictatorship and communism (which I doubt you are). You're making yourself look silly by continuing to try to explore that route. Throwing out words like that only makes it look like you're trying to stir up crap.
Old 8th December 2009, 04:15 PM
fedoralinuxuser Offline

linuxmozilla
I am entitled to my opinion and so are you.
In the end they are opinions.

However, when a POLICY e,g, SELinux takes over the control to the operating system Linux, then it is n othing else than dictatorship if you cannot switch the policy off properly, which I believe is the case.

You think you remove SELinux just to find that it is still sowing havoc. SELinux is like a terminator movie..the beast just keep on coming never mind how many times you switch it off.

The telltale sign of dictatorships is that opposing truths are not tollerated.
You can roll your eyes till you get lucky sevens, but there is a huge groundswell developing against SELinux. If it continues like this, there will be silent defection from Linux.

I however try to speak up if I see something that can hurt Linux, rather than to take the attaboy path.
Closed Thread

Tags
remove, selinux