Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 29th March 2004, 03:35 AM
jabz Offline

Maybe a HowTo install and run Evolution 1.4.6 and Evolution 1.4.6 Connector

This is possibly a HowTo...
I'll let the mod's decide, since I'm new to Fedora...
and...
WARNING!! THIS PROCEDURE MAY BREAK SOMETHING (krb5libs?, samba?)
DUE TO FORCING REMOVAL AND INSTALL OF COMPONENTS.... USE AT YOUR PERIL....I WON'T BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR Fedora BOX BLOWS UP...
THIS PROCEDURE MAY OR MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU!!!.

Well that's enough shouting.. on to the nitty gritty....

I did a "yum update"
before all of this...

All of these procedures will require you to su root.

I had Evolution 1.4.6 and it's connector working fine in RH9, little did I know it doesn't even install on Fedora. But I dived in head first and didn't read up on compatibility, before installing Fedora :P
So I scoured via Google and pieced together how to get it working.

Step 1. download Evolution 1.4.6 and supporting dependencies from here...
ftp://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/fedora/1/RPMS.evo/

Thanks to Rex Dieter

Install the supporting dependencies.
rpm -Uvh GConf2-2.4.0.1-0.fdr.0.1.i386.rpm GConf2-devel-2.4.0.1-0.fdr.0.1.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh libgal2-1.99.11-0.fdr.0.1.i386.rpm libgal2-devel-1.99.11-0.fdr.0.1.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh gtkhtml3-3.0.10-0.fdr.0.1.i386.rpm gtkhtml3-devel-3.0.10-0.fdr.0.1.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh libbonobo-2.4.2-0.fdr.0.1.i386.rpm libbonobo-devel-2.4.2-0.fdr.0.1.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh libbonoboui-2.4.2-0.fdr.0.1.i386.rpm libbonoboui-devel-2.4.2-0.fdr.0.1.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh libsoup-1.99.28-0.fdr.0.1.i386.rpm libsoup-devel-1.99.28-0.fdr.0.1.i386.rpm

Note: I had to force remove the previous install of Evolution 1.4.5
rpm -e --nodeps evolution

Once you have those installed, install Evolution 1.4.6
rpm -Uvh evolution-1.4.6-0.fdr.0.1.i386.rpm

I also installed the devel and palm pilot rpm's
rpm -Uvh evolution-devel-1.4.6-0.fdr.0.1.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh evolution-pilot-1.4.6-0.fdr.0.1.i386.rpm

Note: To use the Ximian Evolution 1.4.6 connector you still need to purchase a valid licence from the Ximian site.
Also this purchase does NOT entitle you to support from Ximian, please don't contact them regarding getting it going on an unsupported distribution. (Although I do support sending then an email to request releasing a version of the connector that officially works in fedora)

Once that is done, Download the Ximian Evolution Connector, you can do this through Red Carpet if you have it installed, or manually. I did it manually since my red carpet for some odd reason is missing the ximian evolution channel, i can't subscribe to it.

To download it manually go to this url.
http://www.ximian.com/products/conne...connector.html

Agree to the Licence, and click "Go To Step Two" at the bottom of the page.

On the next page at the bottom, Choose "Red Hat Linux 9 x86" as your distribution. The download should start automagically
Save it to your home folder.

You will now need access to libcom_err.so.3.0 this can be found on an existing RedHat 9 machine, with krb5 components loaded. In these directories "/lib" and "/usr/kerberos/lib/"

Copy this file to your Fedora machine..
you need to copy this into the /lib folder
i.e. cp libcom_err.so.3.0 /lib/
you then will need to create a symbolic link in the same directory /lib/
ln -s libcom_err.so.3.0 libcom_err.so.3

You also need to copy libcom_err.so.3.0 into
/usr/kerberos/lib/
The lib directory didn't exist under kerberos on my fedora install, so I created it.
you will need to create the same symbolic link
ln -s libcom_err.so.3.0 libcom_err.so.3

then you will need to run ldconfig.
i.e. [root@darkstar /]# ldconfig (press enter)

Now you will need to install the ximian evolution connector 1.4.6 you will need to force install since it still will complain about missing dependencies, (libcom_err.so.3.0)

rpm -i --nodeps ximian-connector-1.4.6-0.ximian.6.1.i386.rpm

Now to install your key file. Change to the dir where your connector-key.txt file is.
You should change to the user who is going to be using their exchange account with evolution, since it will need to install the keyfile into the home directory.

To register the key with the connector run..
[root@darkstar Evolution]# ximian-connector-setup connector-key.txt

You should get a popup which says "Key successfully installed". And the Evolution account wizard should popup. Just go through to configure your exchange account.

All done...hope this works for you...

Now I'm not too sure but I think my krb5libs maybe broken, not sure.. Since I cannot get active directory authentication to work. But I don't really need to authenticate, I can still access all the drives and printers on my domain.

cheers,
Jabz

Last edited by Jman; 29th March 2004 at 08:18 AM.
Old 29th March 2004, 08:27 AM
Jman Offline

Looks like a complete and useful howto, but I can't confim it works.

I see you got some stuff from an apt repository. There is apt for Fedora.

It is unfortunate you had to force rpm with --nodeps, but maybe that's the only way it will work.

I fixed one of your links.
Old 29th March 2004, 08:37 AM
Avatraxiom Offline

This is awesome, thank you so much. I bought the connector and I really need to test it for my company, but I use Fedora at work. :-) I'll test this all out on Monday or Tuesday. :-)

-M
Old 14th October 2004, 07:52 PM
soupboy Offline

I realize this is an old post but it's still somewhat fitting. To get activedirectory authentication working (GC) you'll need to install the ximian libsoup package and/or add the line
NT-Domain: <your nt domain>
to your $HOME/evolution/connector-key.txt
file.
AD requires your username\domain name to authenticate. And unfortunately the connector-setup tool eats the domain part

Tags
connector, evolution, howto, install, run