Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 31st March 2006, 02:43 PM
jcliburn Offline

HOWTO: Java and Flash plugins in FC5 x86_64

There are currently no 64-bit Sun Java or Macromedia Flash browser plugins available. If you want to use these plugins in FC5 x86_64, you need a 32-bit browser in which to install them. The instructions provided here include steps to install 32-bit Firefox and the Sun Java and Macromedia Flash plugins. This will enable you to run Flash and Java content within your Firefox browser. If you use another browser, the strategy is the same, although the plugin directory for your browser will be in a different location than described here.

There are other ways to go about getting 32-bit Firefox up and running, including installing it in your home directory after fetching the Firefox binary (or source) directly from Mozilla. The advantage to that approach is you don't have to be root to install it, and it doesn't require the removal of 64-bit Firefox. I personally have no pressing need for 64-bit Firefox, so replacing it with 32-bit Firefox isn't an issue for me.

These instructions use yum to download and install prepackaged Fedora RPMs relating to Firefox, followed by downloading and installing Sun Java and Macromedia Flash plugins.

You can install 32-bit Firefox using Yumex (Option 1), or you can install it manually using the command line (Option 2). Although I haven't done it, the Yumex method seems simpler.

OPTION 1: INSTALL FIREFOX.i386 USING YUMEX

First, open a terminal become root.
Code:
$ su -
Install yumex, the yum extender.
Code:
# yum install yumex
Start yumex from the command line and click OK when presented with the dire warning of mayhem.
Code:
# yumex --forcei386
Select the "Remove" icon.
Scroll down and check "firefox".
Click "Add to Queue".
Click the "Install" icon.
Scroll down and check "firefox".
Click "Add to Queue"
Select the "Queue" icon.
Click "Process Queue".

When Yumex has completed the install, proceed below to "INSTALL JAVA AND FLASH PLUGINS".

OPTION 2: INSTALL FIREFOX.i386 MANUALLY, WITHOUT YUMEX

First, open a terminal become root.
Code:
$ su -
Remove the x86_64 version of Firefox.
Code:
# yum remove firefox
Next, add a repo for the i386 base packages.
Code:
# gedit /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-core.repo
Add the following section to the file.
Code:
[core-i386]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - i386
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/i386/os/
gpgcheck=1
enabled=0
Now add a repo for the i386 updates packages.
Code:
# gedit /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-update.repo
Edit it to contain this.
Code:
[updates-i386]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - i386 - Updates
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/i386
gpgcheck=1
enabled=0
NOTE: The only 32-bit packages you want installed on your 64-bit system are those you intentionally install yourself, or those that are part of 64-bit package releases -- some 64-bit packages have 32-bit partner packages. Setting enabled=0 in the repo files you just created, along with explicitly using the --enablerepo option below, ensures that no unintended 32-bit packages get installed or updated.

Now get firefox.i386 and its dependencies.

Code:
# yum --enablerepo=core-i386 install firefox.i386
NOTE: There was a significant Fedora 5 Gnome and KDE upgrade on April 17 and 18 that might have introduced yum dependency errors into the above step. If the above command results in dependency errors, skip the next step and drop down to the "IF DEPENDENCY ERRORS" step.

What you just did is install the version of Firefox that was released with the base FC5 distribution. If a new version has been released to the Fedora updates repo, get the new version by executing the following.
Code:
# yum --enablerepo=updates-i386 update firefox.i386
IF DEPENDENCY ERRORS: Execute this if you encountered dependency errors above.
Code:
# yum --enablerepo=core-i386 --enablerepo=updates-i386 install firefox.i386
You should now have a current version of Firefox.i386 installed.

INSTALL JAVA AND FLASH PLUGINS

Start firefox and get jre-1_5_0_08-linux-i586.bin from Sun's java site .

CAUTION: Don't get the i586-rpm.bin file -- do get the i586.bin file.

Navigate to the directory that contains your downloaded java bin. Make a directory /opt/java and copy the java bin there. Install it and link the plugin. Here are the steps.
Code:
# <cd_to_the_java_download_dir> 
# mkdir /opt/java 
# cp jre-1_5_0_08-linux-i586.bin /opt/java 
# cd /opt/java 
# sh ./jre-1_5_0_08-linux-i586.bin 
# cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins 
# ln -s /opt/java/jre1.5.0_08/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so .
Kill Firefox and restart it. Enter "about:plugins" in the Firefox address bar and you should see the java plugins.

Now download and install the Macromedia Flash player plugin from Warren Togami's Macromedia repository.

Code:
# cd /etc/yum.repos.d
# wget http://macromedia.mplug.org/macromedia-i386.repo
# yum install flash-plugin
Kill Firefox and restart it. Enter "about:plugins" in the Firefox address bar and you should see the Java and Flash plugins.

Be on the lookout for Firefox updates. When one is released, or periodically if you're not watching for an update, perform the following to update Firefox.
Code:
# yum --enablerepo=updates-i386 update firefox.i386
Kill Firefox and restart it. Enter "about:plugins" in the Firefox address bar and you should see the Java and Flash plugins.

Hope this helps. If you find any errors in these instructions, please post them here and I'll edit as necessary.

Last edited by jcliburn; 25th September 2006 at 03:13 AM.
Old 19th April 2006, 08:01 AM
Method17 Offline

everything worked ok until I got to the install part....any suggestions? Here's what yum had to say...

EDIT: deleted junk to clean up thread...just make sure to do the update as described in following post...

Last edited by Method17; 26th May 2006 at 07:33 AM. Reason: delete junk
Old 19th April 2006, 11:49 AM
jcliburn Offline

Did you try a "yum update" prior to installing firefox.i386? Gnome 2.14.1 was just released to Fedora updates yesterday, and there have been some problems. I was waiting a couple of days for things to settle out.
Old 19th April 2006, 03:07 PM
jcliburn Offline

Method17, try this:

yum --enablerepo=base-i386 --enablerepo=updates-i386 install firefox.i386
Old 19th April 2006, 05:34 PM
Method17 Offline

I'll wait a bit, I updated everything before I started...thanks for the help...
Old 22nd April 2006, 09:58 AM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

Works fine. The suggestion is to change the name from base-386 to core-i386 for consistence and insert the i386 lines inside fedora-core.repo and fedora-updates.repo. Here are the modified version highlighted in blue

fedora-updates.repo
Code:
[updates]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Updates
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-released-fc$releasever
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora

[updates-i386]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - i386 -Updates
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/i386
gpgcheck=1
enabled=0

[updates-debuginfo]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Updates - Debug
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/debug/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1

[updates-source]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - Updates Source
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/SRPMS/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
fedora-core.repo
Code:
[core]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-$releasever
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

[core-i386]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - i386
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/i386/os/
gpgcheck=1
enabled=0

[core-debuginfo]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Debug
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/debug/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

[core-source]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - Source
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/source/SRPMS/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1

Last edited by Finalzone; 23rd April 2006 at 08:24 AM. Reason: corrected the right name for fedora-updates.repo instead of fedora-update.repo
Old 22nd April 2006, 01:18 PM
jcliburn Offline

Thanks Finalzone. I've incorporated your comments. Please check that I got it right.
Old 22nd April 2006, 02:50 PM
Method17 Offline

I've got it running now, installing and updating at the same time did the trick for the same problem I had above.

Jcliburn- thanks for the howto, just change the references to 'base-i386' in the instructions to 'core-i386' during the enable repo part to reflect the changes based on finalzones post
also, the instructions create a new 'fedora-update.repo' file for the [updates-i386] entry. as not to confuse some folks if they are expecting to see other entries (similar to finalzones) and simply add to the existing file I beleive it is 'fedora-updates.repo' by default.

thanks again, just some things I noticed while doing the steps that would make things a little more idiot(lol, me) proof.

Last edited by Method17; 22nd April 2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 22nd April 2006, 03:07 PM
jcliburn Offline

Method17, I incorporated your comments. Thanks.
Old 7th May 2006, 04:05 AM
LinuxHippy Offline

reading over the man it looks like:

yum --exclude=firefox update

Is that it?

My Site: 777.servemp3.com
Old 7th May 2006, 04:11 AM
jcliburn Offline

yum --enablerepo=updates-i386 update firefox.i386
Old 13th May 2006, 06:42 AM
cville Offline

Please if somebody can update the this how-to, I'm new on FC5 and its different of what is write here. thanks

This is not I think anymore available, what I do ?
---
Check "Force i386 architecture" (upper right section of the window).
Click "Refresh".
---
Old 13th May 2006, 02:28 PM
jcliburn Offline

See the boldface comment I just added near the top of the howto. Yumex has changed, and the "force i386 architecture" option has been removed. As an alternative, try starting yumex from the command line this way:
Code:
$ yumex --forcei386
Press OK at the warning message and proceed.

You're the first to report this new yumex behavior, so I'd like you to report back with your experience so I can update the howto.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 14th May 2006, 01:37 PM
Lox2Eagle Offline

Is this thread the only place, where the --forcei386 option is documented? Why has the checkbox been removed? At least a manpage mentioning this option would be useful. I've been updating some things manually for some time now because of that.

Lox
Old 14th May 2006, 01:47 PM
jcliburn Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lox2Eagle
Is this thread the only place, where the --forcei386 option is documented? Why has the checkbox been removed? At least a manpage mentioning this option would be useful. I've been updating some things manually for some time now because of that.
I'm not sure if this is the only thread that reports the yumex change. I don't ordinarily use yumex, so I didn't know anything had changed until cville reported a problem. As to why it was removed, follow the link I provided in the first post of this thread to read the yumex author's reason.

Tags
fc5, flash, howto, java, plugins, x8664