I've a problem with installing the module for my ethernet device. It's an Intel(R) PRO/1000NT mobile connection.
I've found the module, but I don't know how to install this thing. The readmefile said:
1. Copy the inic-snmp-xxx.tar.gz tar file to a directory of your choice.
2. Untar the archive:
tar xzf inic-snmp-xxx.tar.gz
The inic-snmp-x.x.x directory should be created.
3. Change directories to the inic-snmp-x.x.x directory:
The following files should be in the directory:
./INSTALL [-i <install_directory>][-c <snmpd_config_file>]
The INSTALL script:
- detects architecture (<arch> ) of the current machine (ia32 or ia64)
- copies the following files to the indicated location:
- <arch>/inic-extension - to <install_directory>
- <arch>/inic-daemon - to <install_directory>
- LICENSE and README - to usr/share/doc/inic-snmp-<package_version>
- INTELLAN.txt - to <mibs_directory>
- adds the following line anywhere in <snmpd_config_file>:
pass .126.96.36.199.4.1.3188.8.131.52 <install_directory>/inic_extension
NOTES: <install_directory> is any preferred directory. If option -i is
not used, <install_directory> is /usr/local/sbin.
<snmpd_config_file> is any configuration file for the SNMP agent.
If option -c is not used, <snmpd_config_file> is the file
specified in the snmpd.conf man page. If this file does not exist,
INSTALL script creates an empty file in the specified location.
<mibs_directory> is the MIBS directory specified in the snmpd man
5. In order to receive both complete information on counters and SNMP traps,
run the inic_daemon executable before using the extended agent.
The inic_daemon executable is used for keeping track of internal counters
and sending traps to the SNMP clients. The daemon recognizes the
directives 'trapsink', 'trap2sink', 'informsink', 'trapcommunity',
'agentuser', 'agentaddress', and 'agentgroup' (for more information, see
the snmpd.conf man page). These directives are optional and should be
added manually to <snmpd_config_file> (see previous step, <snmpd_config_file> ).
By default, the inic_daemon reads the trap directives from the
configuration file specified in the snmpd.conf man page (see previous
step, <snmpd_config_file> ). In order to use an alternative configuration
file, specify the file from the inic_daemon command line using the '-c'
inic_daemon -c <snmpd_config_file>
Your SNMP agent is now ready to run.
6. Install the clients. Copy the MIB file (INTELLAN.txt) to every management
station, placing it in the relevant MIBS directory. This varies according
to the SNMP MIB browser/application you are using.
I can understand step 1,2 and 3, but I don't know what my <install_directory> and my <snmpd_config_file> is at step 4. Can someone say how I can install this module. My distribution is Fedora Core...
I'm totally new to linux, so I hope you can tell me the answer so I can understand...