Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th March 2006, 09:25 PM
jsweatte Offline

eth0 is active but no internet connection. New FC5 install

I've just installed FC5 from cdrom isos onto a Dell D810. I have looked through quite a few threads but nothing I've seen...and tried, has resolved the issue. Essentially eth0, a BCM5751 using the TG3 driver, goes active but it appears DHCP or DNS, or both?, isn't working. I've checked network manager, as seen on several threads, and it looks to be active.

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 reads as follows;
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=xxxxx
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=whatever
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

/etc/modprobe.conf reads as follows;
alias eth0 tg3
alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
alias eth1 ipw2200
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
remove snd-intel8x0....
options tg3

dmesg has some interesting text relevant to eth0 it reads;
eth0: Tigon3 (partno(BCM95751) rev 4001 PHY(5750) (PCI Express) 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet...
tg3: eth0: link is up at 10 mbps, half duplex
tg3: eth0: Flow control is off for TX and off for RX
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
eth0: no IPv6 routers present
the previous series of messages starting at tg3 repeats.

I looked at /etc/resolv.conf but the only thing in it is a comment that reads as follows;
# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

I have not tried static addressing which I would prefer to avoid if possible.

lspci shows;
Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corpporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 01)

I also have a Intel PRO/Wireless card at eth1 but I haven't tried to do anything with that. It does not go active at boot.

I'll be glad to provide further info as needed and I appreciate any help provided.
Thanks
Jsweatte
Old 30th March 2006, 04:47 AM
jhetrick62 Offline

First of all, get the box to work on your wired connection, before you attempt to establish your wireless connection.

Secondly, you need more than that in your resolv.conf file or dns will never work.

What is in your /etc/hosts file?

You have no netmask statement in your ifconfig-eth0 file. I would start by making your wired connection active and disabling your wireless connection. Then run the command system-config-network and configure it there first.

Then post the file results if you can't ping the web after configuring. Only need ifconfig-eth1, hosts and resolv.conf normally.

Jeff
Registered Linux User #411071

If at first you don't suceed, read the man page again!
Old 30th March 2006, 06:40 PM
jsweatte Offline

Thanks for helping Jeff.
I have not done anything with the wireless card.

I was hesitant to edit resolv.conf as networkmanager puts a comment in it that says basically DO NOT EDIT.

I managed to get help from a much more knowledgeable source this morning and after about an hour of hacking away we have networking up and functioning. First off I found out that the vlan I was on didn't have DHCP services so I had to go static. Even after getting the addressing straightened out we simply could not get networking to work with networkmanager active. I am not sure exactly why but once we disabled networkmanager everything seemed to work fine. One thing we discovered is that Networkmanager was wiping resolv.conf clean each time we restarted it. I have no experience with networkmanager nor did the other guy so we decided to leave it disabled for now until we can figure out what its doing.

Once again I appreciate your taking time to assist with this problem.
Regards,
Joel

Tags
active, connection, eth0, fc5, install, internet