Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th March 2006, 08:11 PM
thinkpad000 Offline

thinkpad savage video get blank screen

i installed fedora core 5 on a thinkpad t22 laptop.. there was no problem during the install. I even get to the configuration screens where i get to create a new user etc.

then, when i boot up and all the boot sequence (the screen where the green OK messages are displayed) i get a blank screen.. I know the laptop is running but I just can't see anything.

I also started grub with the "single" so I can log into a terminal and then i tried to run system-config-display but the same thing happened after pressing enter. i got a blank screen

I have tried with smaller 800x600 resolutions, the generic LCD monitor etc etc but no luck..

has anyone seen this problem on FC5? anyone else with this issue of not being able to display any X window after install?

thank you!!!
Old 30th March 2006, 05:00 PM
brego Offline

I had same issue. solved though.

replace your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with this
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (4.0 KB, 359 views)
Old 1st April 2006, 11:37 PM
thinkpad000 Offline

thank you! I will try this as soon as I get the chance.. thanks!
Old 2nd April 2006, 06:32 AM
brego Offline

please post your results here. am curious.
Old 4th April 2006, 05:04 PM
Mtnear Offline

Did this work? I'm just curious because I'm considering purchasing an IBM laptop for FC install.

Brego - does FC5 work well on your T22?
Registered Linux User # 424679 | Registered Ubuntu User # 5980
Old 4th April 2006, 05:12 PM
brego Offline

Mtnear:

Once I got X up, everything else has been pretty smooth in terms of getting all (other than the winmodem) my harware working. However, I think you are asking about my overall impression of FC5 on the IBM T22. The T22 is not exactly a new laptop with the fastest proc, mem, hd, etc. - with that in mind, FC5 seems to perform pretty well on it. I am pleased with working wireless connectivity, X, and sound. I installed ogle and dvd playback is quite nice. xmms has me listening to my mp3s. I am dual booting this laptop with XP and am very pleased so far.
Old 12th April 2006, 06:20 AM
thinkpad000 Offline

I got tied up with work so I haven't been able to try the fix. I promise I will update this post this weekend with the results.

Thanks!

p.s. the T22 are pretty stable laptops. They heat up and the hard disk is noisy but they work very well. Mine has 512megs of memory and FC4 runs very well with many apps running (firefox, xmms, gimp, gthumb, vncserver, etc)
Old 19th April 2006, 05:13 AM
Anguish Offline

Thought I would report that this does indeed fix issues with T2x IBM ThinkPads. My T20 is now running, thanks to this excellent help.
Old 10th May 2006, 09:43 PM
alex71 Offline

Great job brego! Works for my thinkpad T21.

Before I had the blank screen only when my thinkpad was not attached to the power supply.

Would you tell us the 'secret' of your xorg.conf?!?!
Old 11th May 2006, 05:07 PM
brego Offline

the secret is magic elves, a.k.a gnu-elves.

actually, it was a combination of google search results and trial/error

glad it helped
Old 29th May 2006, 12:40 AM
thinkpad000 Offline

this worked for my thinkpad t22 thanks!
Old 30th June 2006, 05:45 PM
smeegan Offline

T22 - Works

Thank you, I used the same patch, as I recieved the same blank pages. I was able to make it work by changing it to standard VESA settings, however I believe these settings are more efficient.

Thank you.
Old 11th July 2006, 03:32 AM
Cowggodd Offline

i am having the same problem but how would i go about moving that file from here to the latop? i am EXTREALY new to the text mode i only used the graphical mode on my desktop computer
Old 18th June 2007, 09:19 PM
Dylins Offline

Hi everyone,

I have an IBM T22 Type: 2647-8EU and have had the same problem every time from when I started with Redhat all the way through to Fedora Core 5, getting a blank screen, the only solution was to log in using kernel option "init 3" and edit xorg.conf until I got something that worked.

I have just installed Fedora 7 Moonshine and not unsuspectingly, the same problem again, but this time, I had the idea of plugging an external monitor in. (This only works if you plug the monitor in with the laptop switched off, or restarted after, or the BIOS won't see it) The strange thing is with the external monitor plugged in the LCD display works too, but fails again after rebooting and the monior unplugged, very odd?

I then managed to log in and edit my xorg.conf with the help of http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html, the most important change to make is >>>
<quote>
Important Note! The default configuration file created by "X -configure" assumes a very stupid monitor, capable of no more than 640x480 60Hz. On many laptops, this timing produces an unreadable screen. Before launching X, you should load your newly created XF86Config into an editor, find the "Monitor" section, and add these two lines before the EndSection:

HorizSync 30-70
VertRefresh 50-90
</quote>

With these two lines added you don't need an external monitor connected before you escape the blank screen syndrome.

I have also posted my xorg.conf file.

Hope this helps!
Attached Files
File Type: conf xorg.conf (3.8 KB, 90 views)

Tags
blank, savage, screen, thinkpad, video