Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 26th March 2006, 10:13 AM
magnublm Offline

FC5 - Can't associate .pls and .m3u files with XMMS

I've followed the--very good--instructions at www.stanton-finley.net, like I have since FC3, and I've got XMMS playing .mp3s just fine.

My problem is that I want to use XMMS to listen to streamed music playlists (.pls and .m3u files). I can't get XMMS to be the default player for those files...Helix is. When I go to choose another program, I can't find the path to the XMMS "executable" (sorry for calling it this). In FC4 I could just type "XMMS" to be the associated program and it would work great; FC5 doesn't have this option to type the "executable"; it wants me to click through to find the path. I've been on XMMS's website, but I'm not getting what I want.

Thanks for your attention.
***Registered Linux User #397338
***Fedora Core 3 Server, running WebCalendar, NetJuke, and Gallery at home for my family and friends
***Most importantly: "Ecky-ecky-ecky-ecky-pikang-zoop-boing-goodem-zoo-owli-zhiv ... NI!"

:)

Last edited by magnublm; 26th March 2006 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 26th March 2006, 11:09 AM
giulix Offline
"Fixed" by (vague) request

If you're using Gnome, install nautilus-actions (the link is for a i386)
Old 26th March 2006, 11:16 AM
magnublm Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulix
If you're using Gnome, install nautilus-actions (the link is for a i386)
Thank you, giulix. I will try nautilus-actions and report here if that fixes the problem.

FYI - (I had to Google for this) "Nautilus actions is an extension for Nautilus, the gnome file manager, which allow to configure program to be launch on files selected into Nautilus interface." Here is the Nautilus Actions project page: http://www.grumz.net/index.php?q=taxonomy/term/10/9 It looks like (to quote grumz.net) "quite all the main distributions have Nautilus-actions at least in there "extra" repositories and so it is available easily through their automatic update system (apt-get, yum, etc.)."
***Fedora Core 3 Server, running WebCalendar, NetJuke, and Gallery at home for my family and friends
***Most importantly: "Ecky-ecky-ecky-ecky-pikang-zoop-boing-goodem-zoo-owli-zhiv ... NI!"

Last edited by magnublm; 26th March 2006 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Added a URL
Old 27th March 2006, 01:41 AM
magnublm Offline

I'm having a problem getting nautilus-actions started. I'm doing everything the support document says on the nautilus-actions home page. Weird. It's like nautilus-actions isn't even on my computer. I loaded it from yum-extenderl, restarted my computer, and nothing--it doesn't exist.

It might help if I just knew the path to the xmms executable instead of fumbling through nautilus-actions, which doesn't seem to be working on my box...I have no idea why, but I've banged my head against that problem long enough. For whatever reason, and I'm not an idiot (but certainly feel like one now), I can NOT find it! I'm searching for everything. The xmms site isn't helpful to me either. Does anyone know the path to the xmms executable in FC5?

Thanks for your attention.

Last edited by magnublm; 27th March 2006 at 01:50 AM.
Old 27th March 2006, 01:53 AM
u-noneinc-s Offline

/usr/bin/xmms (unless it has changed in FC5)
Old 27th March 2006, 08:43 AM
giulix Offline
"Fixed" by (vague) request

As for Nautilus-Actions, open Nautilus, right-click on a file and select "Properties": Do you see an "Open With" tab in there ?

Tags
associate, fc5, files, m3u, pls, xmms