Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th March 2006, 09:06 AM
danhd123 Offline

Plugging in pcHDTV HD3000 causes failure to allocate memory for graphics card

At least that's the situation as best I can figure it. Booting without it plugged in works fine, either from CD or HD. I have it set for a non-graphical login (HD installation, obviously), and I run startx manually. Everything works fine. BTW, this is all in FC5, but I think the problem extends to FC4 at least (since that's what, IIRC, Mythdora is based on)

Then I try again with the card plugged in. Very early in the boot process are these lines:

PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 0000:01:00.0
PCI: Failed to allocate mem resource #0:1000000@e0000000 for 0000:01:00.0

With some testing, I determined that device to likely be my graphics card, as the message is identical no matter which PCI slot the card is plugged into. Additionally, the card is recognized much later on. Testing with a different graphics card yielded the same results (my card: Asus/ATi 9600 XT/TVD; my test card ATi X700). Other than this, the system boots normally. Until I startx, or enter the graphical anaconda on the install CD.

After that, everything is completely garbled. The cursor is a ~60x60 pixel spread of random dots, and everything else is completely unrecognizable except by shape. If I run xinit manually, the cursor is still garbled, but, oddly, the xterm is fine.

I've eliminated pretty much everything as a possible source of conflict (haven't eliminated motherboard, Abit IC7-G (i875 chipset, hybrid AGP 8x/Pro slot), so any thoughts would be appreciated at this point.

Tags
allocate, card, failure, graphics, hd3000, memory, pchdtv, plugging