Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st April 2012, 08:05 PM
pau Offline

linuxdebianepiphany
external monitor in gnome3 screwed up

Hi,

for some reason in all new linux distributions shipping the new gnome3 the external monitor configuration is screwed up.

I was looking forward to installing f16 on my laptop, which was running f14. This is a regression: With f14 the configuration was a charm, now it is impossible to get the external monitor to work properly.

I believe this is related to my intel i915 chip.

When I open the configuration dialogue and try to set up the monitors, the resolution on the external one is very low and, if I try to adjust it to the real value (it is a 30" DELL), and switch off the laptop monitor, then the DELL goes black and nothing happens until 25 seconds have passed.

This is a pity, because f16 is really looking very nice.

Has anybody tried to set this up successfully?

thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 05:47 PM
pau Offline

macossafari
Re: external monitor in gnome3 screwed up

So it seems this is a well known issue:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=753881

has anybody looked into this recently?

f17 is also affected... this is bad news

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Hi,

I seem to have found a fix to this... If I open the monitor configuration interface and choose what I want, the external monitor goes black, as described BUT if I suspend the system and wake it up, the configuration is what I chose.

Ugly, but it works.

I just wanted to let you know.

Pau
PS: Installing older kernels did not help, though

Tags
external, gnome3, monitor, screwed