Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th February 2010, 05:24 AM
DWolfman Offline

windows_7firefox
Upgrade a 32bit Fedora install to 64bit Fedora?

Like the subject says, can it be done? Anyone tried it before?

I've got a server with Fedora 11 on it, which will be getting a new motherboard soon. The old board is 32bit only, but the new one will be 64bit. Would like to switch to 64bit so I can use all 8GB RAM that the new board will have plugged in.

Would rather not do a clean install if I don't have to, as I've got a lot of "tweaks" I've done to this install plus a lot of custom configured software that would be difficult to reproduce.
Old 18th February 2010, 05:32 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
Quote:
Like the subject says, can it be done?
I don't think so, and I don't think trying to do so is a Good Idea™©®, see below...
Quote:
Anyone tried it before?
Yes, and the result was a completely borked OS, followed by a complete re-install. Now, I admit that this was a long time ago on an older Fedora release, and maybe I fumbled the operation, but... I repeat: I don't think that this is a very good idea - too many things can go so very wrong.

However, simply switching to a 32-bit PAE kernel will solve the RAM issue.

V

P.S. Note that switching major hardware (such as the MoBo) may result in a non-bootable OS, as the drivers in the kernel boot image may not be correct for the new iron, especially considering what you have stated (32-bit to 64-bit board). Or, you may get lucky. This time. At worst, you boot a live CD/DVD and re-build the initramfs image(s).
Old 20th February 2010, 07:08 PM
DWolfman Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
OK, I was thinking it would need a clean install this time. Yeah, I knew I could do the PAE kernel thing, but I'm needing to run a 64-bit virtual machine on that system that will work better if the host OS is also 64-bit.

But, I can make a backup of my boot drive and try it anyway. Worst that can happen is I have to do a clean install anyway.

Tags
32bit, 64bit, fedora, install, upgrade